BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Snow Tires for F10 (2011 535i) Sport

22K views 78 replies 22 participants last post by  dmoney22 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, Anybody have recommendations on what tire to replace the stock 19's with on my 2011 BMW 535i Sport? (I NEED TO GET SNOW TIRES.) I am debating between ROF/RFT (runflats) and non-runflats (and purchasing a pump kit.)

TireRack's preferred package for snows is Blizzak LM-25 RFT with ugly wheels. (and it is $1,752 before tax and shipping.)

The Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFT is $254 each. Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D RunOnFlat is $270 each.

The Michelin X-Ice Xi2 (non-runflat) is $158 each.

I will be buying the package (wheels and TPMS kits) so this is getting pricey.
I am a loyal customer of TireRack.

Also, FYI, I live in Maryland so could probably get away with all-seasons (with the exception last year--we got about 80" of snow last season.) I have a set of four all season tires (Continental Extreme Contact DWS) fronts, 245-40R18 and rears, 275-35R18 sitting in my garage (that I used on my 2008 535i Sport (that is now gone.) TireRack told me that those sizes wouldn't work on my F10, but I am not 100% about that being accurate.

Help?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Snow tire recommendations for F10 (2011 535i) Sport

Help?

#3 ·
I just bought the LM-25s RFTs from the tirerack. I had Dunlop Wintersport M3s non runflat on my 650i. They weren't that good in snow and ice, so I'm trying the Blizzaks this time. The guy at the tirerack said the Blizzaks would be better. I'm using 18" in the winter and run 19" the rest of the time.

#6 ·
I did consider that but ruled it out because of cost. ($500 plus TPMS plus stems plus installation. If I did it with the dealer, it would $3K.)

#5 ·
Thanks. Any thoughts on going with non-runflats?

#7 ·
I'm not a big fan of aftermkt rims for Bimmers. Just my own personal taste. If you have a normal RWD 535i, I would definitely swap for snow rubber/rims, especially if you own the car.
Haven't needed snow tires in a while, so I can't speak of specific tire performance. Non-RFT's and a mobility kit should be fine. Plenty of people do it.
I would try and haggle with the parts dept on price.
It shouldn't be 3 grand, more like 2k or less. If you have the CCA membership, or just say it's a Christmas present for your wife, they'll knock 20% off. You can pick the tires up and install them yourself. If you're not that mechanically inclined, I think a tire shop will mount them for you for no more than 10 bucks a wheel.

#8 ·
For my 535i Sport I went with the BMW snow tire and wheel package for $495 per wheel. They are Dunlop Winter Sport 3D and style 17" 327. Tires are good and the rims are decent but not as nice as my summer 331s. I went with the lowest cost OEM route for winter. Installation at the dealer was $63.50 total.

#10 ·
Does the package come with the TPMS sensors, or is that extra?

I am not only cost conscious, but I lease the car. (So I want quality....but don't want to spend a huge amount of money, because I will have this particular car only until July 2013.)
If it's a lease, i'd be going the budget route all the way. Even the cheapo winter tires are going to vastly outperform any all season, in the snow/ice.

#9 ·
I am not only cost conscious, but I lease the car. (So I want quality....but don't want to spend a huge amount of money, because I will have this particular car only until July 2013.)

#13 ·
#14 ·
#69 ·
The Rial wheel is made in Germany and has a 5-yr finish warranty. I think this is a quality product at a VERY reasonable price. Get it now before they sell out for this winter.

#15 · (Edited)
I got these wheels in 18". They are inexpensive and fit the 550i xDrive. I thought black would be better for a winter wheel.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...NG&wheelModel=MR118&wheelFinish=Black+Painted

Got five wheels in case one was damaged and they were out of production since I bought, not leased, and keep cars for at least five years. Including shipping, tax, TPMS, and four Blizzak LM-25 RFT came to $2079. Had inexpensive Chinese wheels for winter on my 650i for five years with no difficulties.

#16 · (Edited)
BMW is out of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D RunOnFlat tires, both here and Europe, for the BMW Winter Wheel and tire Package which includes pre-mounted and pre-balanced tires and the TPM sensors and valve extensions at a great price. According to my BMW Service Center it looks doubtful that BMW will offer any more winter wheel and tire packages for my 550i this year so I am spending more money to piece the components together. Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D RunOnFlat tires work best for winter conditions here in Chicago where the roads are generally snow free. I ordered the hard to find Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D RunOnFlat tires from Tire Rack. I just received those last Friday. I am going to take my BMW CCA $1,000 rebate cash and apply that toward four BMW 18" x 8" Style 350m M-Sport Wheels.

#20 ·
I really wouldn't fret about looks on a winter wheel/tire set. It's for practicality's sake......big wide wheels will be meaningless when they're spinning in the snow. Plus, everyone's car looks like crap during the winter anyway with the sand/slush/snow/salt on the cars. :rolleyes:

The Pirelli Sottozero 210 should work well at a decent price, with your choice of 17" wheels. Don't worry too much about looks; I bought a cheap set for our 325i and they still look good anyway.

#22 ·
What kind of car, and what wheel? I see only ONE wheel choice for tirerack's 17" tire options (and it is not a good looking wheel.)

Any F10 sport owners out there? Any comments/recommendations about going to 17" snow tires on a 2011 535i sport (which means going down two sizes from 19"?)

#24 ·
B_U_D,

Do you have a F10? (2011 535i) Is it a sport package with 19's? Have you put the 17" wheels/tires on the car yet? How does it look? (any pictures?)

I am surprised to see that you didn't like any of the 18" wheel choices that tirerack has...as they have 44 choices for 18" wheels and only ONE choice for 17" wheel.

#26 ·
I know, good point. I could probably get away with all-season tires, but if I have to go down a tire size, I was going to go with the snow tire/wheel package and flip between snows and high performance OEM tires.

We have ice here and last year was the worst winter on record (80 plus inches of snow in the Baltimore area.)

#27 ·
I think that 17" wheel on Tire Rack for the 535i sport doesn't look bad at all. You get to show off your big brakes.

#28 ·
OR...I just go with my same 19" BMW rims and buy a set of 19" Dunlop SP Winter Sport
M3 tires for $249 each (245/40R19)
(and also buy a "mobility kit")

Thoughts?

Can you tell I am still undecided?? Thanks for all of your suggestions so far.

#41 ·
OR...I just go with my same 19" BMW rims and buy a set of 19" Dunlop SP Winter Sport
M3 tires for $249 each (245/40R19)
(and also buy a "mobility kit")

Thoughts?

Can you tell I am still undecided?? Thanks for all of your suggestions so far.
In addition to issues of cost, there are technical issues to consider. Each time that you put a tire on and take it off, the sidewall breaks down which impacts tire function and tire life. Winter wheels and tires in conjunction with high performance tires makes sense to many of us. Another option is all season tires that are left on all year long.

#29 ·
I used to do that for a couple winters, then decided in the long-term it wasn't worth it and just bit the bullet with new wheels. With your lower-profile tires, even more so.

The cost of taking it to a shop to mount tires each time is going to be expensive, around $100, likely more. Each time, so that's twice a year. In a few years, that adds up to more than the cost of simply buying wheel/tires together, because you can simply swap out the wheels at home with a jack and torque wrench. Plus, you reduce the likelihood of rim damage and scratches by not constantly mounting/unmounting tires on the same expensive 19" rim.

#31 ·
17" Snow Package

Here's an image from the configurator showing the BMW 327 rims on my 535i sport. Looks fine in the metal for winter. Ride is a little softer and handling is not as sharp as my summer 331 rims with 19" tires. Not sure this kit is still available as an earlier poster mentioned. As a followup from the earlier question, the $495 per wheel includes the TPMS sensors. BMW CCA discount helps.

Attachments

#33 ·
my winter tire-wheel package

I just installed 4 bridgestone blizzak LM-25 RFT with MSW type 12 wheels for my 2011 550i and it cost 1900 including shipping and TPMS from Tirerack. Another 45 dollars for installation. I am quite happy with the drive so far but then we haven't had any snow yet. I was not keen to get these wheels purely because of the looks but had no other option as the other ones would not be avilable till late winter or early spring. They look much better in person though and more sportier than the original. Looks do matter bur choose the right size and fit for your car. the 17'' was not an option for the 550i. Hope it helps.

#34 · (Edited)
I just installed 4 bridgestone blizzak LM-25 RFT with MSW type 12 wheels for my 2011 550i and it cost 1900 including shipping and TPMS from Tirerack. Another 45 dollars for installation. I am quite happy with the drive so far but then we haven't had any snow yet. I was not keen to get these wheels purely because of the looks but had no other option as the other ones would not be avilable till late winter or early spring. They look much better in person though and more sportier than the original. Looks do matter bur choose the right size and fit for your car. the 17'' was not an option for the 550i. Hope it helps.
Thanks. What size of tires did you install? Also, did you install the same size of front and rear? FYI, the MSW Type 12 wheels are now sold out at tirerack.

#36 ·
#37 ·
For 550i, wheels that are under $350 are all made in Asia. I am thinking Italian made O.Z. Superturismo LM Silver Painted, I think they look cool and not too heavy.

#38 ·
Hi, Anybody have recommendations on what tire to replace the stock 19's with on my 2011 BMW 535i Sport? (I NEED TO GET SNOW TIRES.) I am debating between ROF/RFT (runflats) and non-runflats (and purchasing a pump kit.)

TireRack's preferred package for snows is Blizzak LM-25 RFT with ugly wheels. (and it is $1,752 before tax and shipping.)

The Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFT is $254 each. Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D RunOnFlat is $270 each.

The Michelin X-Ice Xi2 (non-runflat) is $158 each.

I will be buying the package (wheels and TPMS kits) so this is getting pricey.
I am a loyal customer of TireRack.

Also, FYI, I live in Maryland so could probably get away with all-seasons (with the exception last year--we got about 80" of snow last season.) I have a set of four all season tires (Continental Extreme Contact DWS) fronts, 245-40R18 and rears, 275-35R18 sitting in my garage (that I used on my 2008 535i Sport (that is now gone.) TireRack told me that those sizes wouldn't work on my F10, but I am not 100% about that being accurate.

Help?
Eer YES they will.
It is that most winters for that car are 245/45/18 and 245/40/18 rears or 2**/45/18 rears, it just raises the vehicle height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.