BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Just had my X3 opti-guarded (w/ pics)

5K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  vzx 
#1 ·
After being a little concerned initially about the paint and clear coat on the X3, and researching the various paint protection options, I decided to go with Opti-Guard.

The work on my 5 week old / 1800 mile X3 28i was done by TLC Auto Detail in Herndon, Virginia. The project included cleaning and buffing of the exterior paint, cleaning of wheels, tires, and wheel wells, interior detailing, application of Opti-Guard to all painted surfaces, glass, black exterior trim, and wheels, as well as interior surfaces, and I also had it applied to the wheel wells too. I am fairly impressed with the results and thought I'd post some pics for those who might be interested in this sort of product. I was hoping to "lock in" the current look of this relatively new car and wasn't expecting it to come back looking much different, but it did come back looking more "showroom" and I'm happy about that. Supposedly it'll last forever and will need little more than an occasional brushless car wash to keep up the look. Time will tell.

up-close look at the well-buffed hood:

rear came out nice too:

close-up view of the back of a rear-view mirror:

view from the rear side:

pano glass was optiguarded too:

all the other glass surfaces were done as well, including the headlights, which were impressive indeed:

I was a bit concerned about doing the windshield, even though the commentary on the web is quite positive about applying it to glass. I was concerned that it would leave some kind of residue that would alter the visibility. It came out fine and I can't tell it's there, visually (you can sort of feel it, though):

It was applied to most of the interior surfaces (excluding the leather, of course). I was skeptical about this, but it worked out well. There is a slight shinyness to the surfaces, but very slight - almost imperceptible, and it looks better to my eye.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks nice! I tried to research the product a while back but did not find it so easy.

A few questions:
- What was the cost?
- Is Optiguard and Opticoat the same product (or produced by the same company)?
- Do you have the associated web-site (I only found one in Europe)?
- Is there a list of US retailers and/or detailers that can apply it?

#3 ·
I'll check with the detailer to see if he's OK with me posting the $. It was pretty expensive, though, not the $350 or thereabouts that one encounters on some of these boards.

My understanding is that Optiguard is the "pro" product sold only to licensed dealers/applicators, whereas Opticoat 2.0 is the consumer version of the product. There is something called Opticoat 1.0 which might be Optiguard. I have the impression that only Opticoat 2.0 is available for consumer purchase for DIY application.

I wasn't able to find a main site for whoever makes Optiguard/Opticoat. The CEO and other execs from the company do post frequently on car boards, but I don't see a main site. I also haven't seen a list of local companies/people that do it. I found my local guy b/c he was recommended on a few car board posts; otherwise it's pretty tough to find people. Probably have to call the local detailers and look for someone who does it.

hope that's helpful -- if I get/find some more info on this, I'll post it.

#8 ·
Thanks for the kind words Larry! It was our pleasure to get your vehicle looking it's best, and protected with Opti-Guard. Here are a few more photos that we took right after we finished the job.

If anyone has questions about cost please feel free to send me a message, if you have any questions about Opti-Guard or anything else used on this detail I'd be happy to answer them in this thread. Thanks!

#9 ·
Dave@TLC: How do I find someone in the Boston area (North of Boston actually) who could apply it?

#12 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll contact that guy. Just curious. I already had "Autobahnd" 3M paint protection applied. Does that mean it would have to be removed to apply the coating?

#13 ·
I am expecting my 2014 X3 delivery next week. My dealer insisted on 3M coating on the inside and outside. I love the way clear coat looks. I'm assuming that it is not performed at an authorized dealership. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm looking for someone who can do this in the Indianapolis area.

Would this also protect my interior leather. More concerned about color transfer on oyster white nevada leather seats :)

#14 ·
Just had my car Opti-Guarded (OptiCoat) in Northern NJ. Detailers Domain did a great job and I am super happy with the results! Great product and great recommendations from this forum :D

PM Me if you need their contact info :)

Attachments

#19 ·
Swirls Fix ?

Hi that looks amazing .. I have a question , had you any swirls in the black paint prior to doing this guard ? Mine is Black and its 2 months old yet i have loads of swirls from bad towels.. I am in Egypt you know so we have loads of dust which kills paints shines.. I tries to fix it yesterday with some swirl fixtures but the result was not impressive ..

Do they buff it and polish it before doing the guarding.? another question, could the heat of the sun makes the film met and stick tot he body and then it will be difficult to remove ?

Cheers .

#17 ·
Oh, with the OptiGuard, they basically apply a thin layer coating to the car (including all the painted areas, fender, panels, lights, and plastic) that seals overnight. It has immense hydrophobic properties (after reading this post and doing some research) which protects against rain and soot damage, bird bombs, brake dust for wheels and other unforeseen acts of god (I don't think it protects against hurricanes, I have to check).

They also applied a new product, called OptiGlass, which is designed specifically for all the glass on the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.