BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

6 series new Idrive info

5K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  southern6er22 
#1 ·
Got a call this AM from a out of state CA who I had spoken to previously on buying a 650i.
He advised me they have confirmed the new version of Idrive will be included in 6 series builds starting March '13. No word if the '14 will include a power trunk closer. He had a interesting take on the trunk question. When I complained that the 6er has been left without the power close feature, while being available on the 5 & 7 he mentioned that the 6 is the only model with the backup camera behind the roundel, which also functions as a trunk opener, which could make it more complex to add the closer - I don't know.

#2 ·
He had a interesting take on the trunk question. When I complained that the 6er has been left without the power close feature, while being available on the 5 & 7 he mentioned that the 6 is the only model with the backup camera behind the roundel, which also functions as a trunk opener, which could make it more complex to add the closer - I don't know.
That is interesting...

Quick poll: Who would rather have a hidden, 007-esque backup camera at the cost of having to manually close the trunk? And who would rather our $100k cars have the same conveniences as a $30k Lexus and live with the grotesque (i.e. tiny and barely noticeable) camera found on the hideous 5er and 7er?

Whatever the reason, BMW really screwed up on this one...

#6 ·
that is interesting...

Quick poll: Who would rather have a hidden, 007-esque backup camera at the cost of having to manually close the trunk? And who would rather our $100k cars have the same conveniences as a $30k lexus and live with the grotesque (i.e. Tiny and barely noticeable) camera found on the hideous 5er and 7er?

Whatever the reason, bmw really screwed up on this one...
+1

#7 ·
Quick poll: Who would rather have a hidden, 007-esque backup camera at the cost of having to manually close the trunk? And who would rather our $100k cars have the same conveniences as a $30k Lexus and live with the grotesque (i.e. tiny and barely noticeable) camera found on the hideous 5er and 7er?
I had the power trunk on my 550 and really didn't care for it, so I'm happier that it won't be on my 650.

Now I have a question for the power trunk fans, would also want power doors to open and close at the push of a button?

#8 ·
Nope (soft-close feature aside). The trunk tends to be utilized when my hands are otherwise occupied. I'd be more okay with it if the trunk had a stop that once overpowered allowed the trunk to fall freely - children's fingers be damned. It's the fact that you have to reach up into the hand holes and pull down forcefully with just the right motion - unless you push down on the lid with your hands, but the person that put their hands on the paint like that would find themselves stranded at the present location lol. Also, I've accidentally pulled the light out when using the left pull, and you also have to be careful if you are using your watch hand. They could charge $3k for that button, and I'd be the idiot willing to pay for it :D

#9 ·
Nope (soft-close feature aside). The trunk tends to be utilized when my hands are otherwise occupied. I'd be more okay with it if the trunk had a stop that once overpowered allowed the trunk to fall freely - children's fingers be damned. It's the fact that you have to reach up into the hand holes and pull down forcefully with just the right motion - unless you push down on the lid with your hands, but the person that put their hands on the paint like that would find themselves stranded at the present location lol. Also, I've accidentally pulled the light out when using the left pull, and you also have to be careful if you are using your watch hand. They could charge $3k for that button, and I'd be the idiot willing to pay for it :D
While I was shopping around I fitted my bicycle in a 6er and didn't have any issues opening or closing the trunk. I find I open and close the trunk much faster when I do it myself. I also have no issues touching the paint, but finger prints aren't that obvious on Alpine White.

#3 ·
Are you going to order it or wait for the '14? I am thinking the '14 will probably have the full lcd instrument panel, it could also possibly have the idrive touch system instead of just the updated combo box. I think I saw somewhere that the '14 builds start in June or maybe July, either way it's not that far off.

#5 ·
Yeah, I'm not sure. The '14 is supposed to have the LED dash, and possibly the touch controller. ( And maybe even that elusive trunk closer) But if BMW offers the option credits again in the spring. the '13 will be a better deal. If I wait for the '14, the discounts drop again.

Also, I would like to take a look at the redone MB 550 coming in June - shown at the auto show this month. Real nice looking - upped the wheels to 19", LED headlights standard along with some new electronics. And their Twin turbo V8 is not too shabby, for about $64K

#4 ·
I think I'd wait for a '14 at this point (if I were in the market right now). As stated, it isn't that long between March and June-ish. There likely won't be any significant discounts (like end-of-the-year deals and incentives) between now and then. Idk if the new black panel, etc., will be on the '14, but it would prevent a possible '12 v. '13 disappointment and possibly help with resale.

#16 ·
I'm in the midst of a losing battle with the pollen right now. My car can barely make it 3 days right now. Weekly washes are getting old, but it's well worth it once complete.

#15 ·
I agree, there should have been at least a standard soft-close feature for the trunk latch (but I would prefer a fully motorized one). I have had the power up/down trunk on other cars and I definitely miss it on the GC where you have to slam the lid to get it to latch. This seems like a strange oversight by BMW considering that this car has everything else motorized including the side/rear sunshades and even the sunroof sunshade!

#20 ·
Amen - I feel EXACTLY the same

#25 ·
The coupe and convertible have different trunks, as discussed in a thread a while back. The convertible's will close once you get it going whereas the coupe requires a good, strong pull and pops back up if it doesn't latch properly. I assume the GC matches the coupe - although you'd think they would've fixed the problem for their new baby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.