BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

96 Z3 Roadster Headlight upgrade

Z3 
15K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  umnitza 
#1 ·
New to forum...Can anyone offer a source to upgrade the headlights on m Z3 to a aftermarket LED/Halo assembly. Is it easy? what info do you need to proceed?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Gj

#5 ·
#7 ·
The install is very straight forward. There was a very detailed set of instructions online here. And if i were you, go black housings as the chrome ones dont seem like theres that much but in reality its slightly tacky

#14 ·
are you saying that the LEDs weren't bright enough? I have found them to be extremely bright... no issues seeing them at noon. From the pic in your sig, you don't have LEDs.

Crappy : )

(Just outside of Nashville)
Review thread as I haven't purchased anything yet..."Obey the poodle" just provided an opinion and was trying to help me during the process.
I will be pursuing an "Umnitza product" if I can figure out the actual assembly I want using their webpage to order.
I find it difficult to follow their order process without having to Add on High end options on the order menu...

Gj

#15 ·
Fritzy....

Just give them a call... I was having the same issue with their website. They were friendly and very helpful on the phone.
I wasn't trying to disrespect the Poodle... Just saying that the lights in their sig aren't LED's.

#18 · (Edited)
@crappyattitude1:
When I bought the car it had aftermarket headlights already (non-umnitza), and I upgraded to LEDs, the sig pic is from before the upgrade (I should've been more clear)

I'll update the pic later, as right now the car is also undergoing body repairs.

Oh, and I don't get offended easily, and I can see Crappy's intention wasn't that.:thumbup:
Cheers

Edit: Updated sig pic...

#20 ·
FritzyZ3.....

You have tried contacting Umnitza? Did you order them online or over the phone? I had very prompt service. Try giving them a call and email both... or try a PM through this forum... they are on here. (Disclaimer... I have no connection to Umnitza, other than a very satisfied customer.)

Good Luck!

#22 ·
Umnitza Headlight Order gone bad??

Its been about 5 weeks, they have my payment...June 20th
I am hoping for a good result but several failed attempts to communicate have not eased my mind on receiving my order.

Tried phone, email...no satisfaction so far.

I have not given up yet...and my post is not to "flame them"

I will post any result available to insure the completion of my story...good or bad.

Canada customer...Calgary AB.

GJ
:dunno:

#23 ·
Gary, sorry for the lack of communication. We will reply to your PM shortly.
It is something that we have issues with from time to time with international Canadian shipments, but the shipments to Calgary have almost all been delayed a LOT due to your floods and the train derailment.

#27 ·
Excellent response from Umnitza today via email after posting frustrations...Exactly what was needed.
At this point another 2 weeks to wait but feeling much better about my transaction and I remain hopeful lights will show soon.

Thanks for your replies...

Cheers GJ

#29 ·
Old thread but same subject - how are those upgrades doing?

Some guy backed into my 2000 Z3 2.3. It was all original - incl. paint - with 70K miles and now I have to replace headlights, bumper and hood and paint. I can get the halos for about 25% of the cost of original OEMs or 50% less than used (clouded) OEMs.

This thread is 6 years old so I'm wondering...

1. I can find them new on ebay (trashed in thread) but sellers recommend professional install and reference alternative power source.
2. I went to Umnitza and they say - "These projector headlights are not compatible with factory Xenon H.I.D. system, it comes with its own standard Halogen light bulbs for installation." Not exactly sure what they are trying to say and what "its" is.
3. Umnitza says I've reached them after hours at 9m Pacific.
4. For those that switched to halos - any issues?
5. Ultimately, I just want a pair of complete headlight fixtures, with bulbs, mounting brackets and housing to cleanly install without adaptation.

Thoughts?

#30 ·
Can anybody talk about the quality of the actual headlight beam produced by these aftermarket lights? How do the low and high beams compare when compared to the original lights?
I have upgraded bulbs in mine and have very good quality and quality with my clean OEM headlights.
Thanks,
Rudy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.