BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

I need advice for buying BMW

3K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  markl53 
#1 ·
Hi guys, i know there is already a thread same as mine, but i dont want to interfere their thread... im sorry if im wrong..
okay so here are the question...
-I just called bmw agent asking for the price of 2011 528i, he said that he only get 1000 over invoice, is that too much? should i negotiate again? what should be over the invoice?
-he also told me that he doesnt get any profit in selling option, he give the price same as invoice, is this true? and he said that if i get it in December it gonna be cheaper, true?
-To be honest, i am a freshmen college, so my money is very tight to buy this car, so i want to ask you guys what is the best price for 528i wiith premium 1, sport pacakage, xenon, rear view camera?
-Do you guys know somebody in socal bmw agent to would be give the very best price?
-I ask him if he can, not to touch or detail the car, he said, that their detail is very best, the car gonna be handle by the pros cuz he said that he will guarantee there will be no swirl mars... so is this true? i talked to shelly bmw agent...

Please be nice to me guys, i never bought a car, and im an esl student, so if some of my question already in forum... im sorry in advance...

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi guys, i know there is already a thread same as mine, but i dont want to interfere their thread... im sorry if im wrong..
-I just called bmw agent asking for the price of 2011 528i, he said that he only get 1000 over invoice, is that too much? should i negotiate again? what should be over the invoice?
-he also told me that he doesnt get any profit in selling option, he give the price same as invoice, is this true? and he said that if i get it in December it gonna be cheaper, true?
-To be honest, i am a freshmen college, so my money is very tight to buy this car, so i want to ask you guys what is the best price for 528i wiith premium 1, sport pacakage, xenon, rear view camera?
-Do you guys know somebody in socal bmw agent to would be give the very best price?
-I ask him if he can, not to touch or detail the car, he said, that their detail is very best, the car gonna be handle by the pros cuz he said that he will guarantee there will be no swirl mars... so is this true? i talked to shelly bmw agent...

Please be nice to me guys, i never bought a car, and im an esl student, so if some of my question already in forum... im sorry in advance...
Yes.

#4 ·

Simple question. No disrespect , but how does a freshman in college afford to buy a brand new BMW, and not even a 1 or 3 series, but a 5 SERIES?

#6 ·
+2 :)

#7 ·
A new F10 for a college student is way over the top. I suggest just slumming it and buying a 3 Series coupe.

#10 ·
Cmon guys that's easy, his parents are gonna help him with it I bet. My cousin just got out of the marines and has a brand new X5 M waiting for him as an enticement to go to college may e something similar here. As for you questions I think 1k over invoice is fair. Yes it's true that he doesn't care what options you put on it he's still just getting 1k as his profit. As for the swirl marks I have also asked my dealer to give the order not to clean the car. When I last went to the dealer they had a 750i on display inside the dealer with swirl marks everywhere(no it was not CPO). But as long as you give them a heads up that you'll be looking for this I think you'll be ok. I would say he's being pretty fair with you.

#12 ·
+1. And....if you or your parents have a Costco card, you might be able to get your car, whatever it is, for $500 over invoice. :D

#11 ·
Ok. Let's get to the business.

You are a freshman. I am not trying to discourage you from getting a 5, but before you do it, ask yourself these questions:

1) Why are you considering a 5 series and not 3 series coupe or M3 like pharding mentioned?

2) Why are you considering a BMW? Do you like 5 series because of looks or size etc?

3) Since you mentioned budget, have you considered cost of insurance, gas etc.?

Most 5 series owners are over 45 years of age (excluding exceptions:bigpimp:) However, younger folks run after 3 series coupes and Ms.

I would seriously think over above before making any decision.

#13 ·
As a long-time Bimmerfest member, I have to say, this set of replies kind of bothers me. Whether or not the OP is "for real", the snob factor from other forum members has really shown its ugly head, IMO. The world is full of all kinds of different people, and one of those differences, though not physical, is their income level. Many of the people on this forum have a lot of disposable income, I read about fully loaded F10's and other models all the time. If someone, any person, has the means to buy a BMW -- any model -- why is it up to anyone else to question whether the other person is "allowed" to buy that model? One person in the reply chain even had the "audacity" to question why the OP even wanted a BMW. There's no rule that says you have to start with a 1 series and work your way up to the others. If a young person has means, whether it is his own or family support, that's his business and not something to be jealous about. If he likes a larger car, so be it, we don't need to question why he doesn't take a 3 series instead. That's his business.

As for "tight money", I'll be up front here and say it was a bit of a stretch to buy my new 535i. Yes, I'm over 45 and make a decent living. I could have borrowed more money and had huge monthly payments for a fully loaded F10 but I discipline myself to buy what I can (almost) afford. My 535i had an MSRP of "only" $56000. I could easily have added additional items to take it over $70000 but I wouldn't. My point is, I can state that money was tight even though I bought a car in the $60K range.

Maybe we should all step back a bit and be honest with ourselves. The fact that a young college person can afford a $60K car and we couldn't isn't a reason for snubbing him.

#17 ·
It's called "flaming" and it is common behavior among some members here.

#18 · (Edited)
It is definitely not flaming. There were no personal attacks. The OP solicited advice and he was given advice. It is the power of the Internet. The advantage is that you get unfiltered advice. The disadvantage is that you get unfiltered advice.

#19 · (Edited)
Based on the OP's desire to buy a 5 series, I do not see any "advice" given in this thread.

#21 ·
The advice that he got is that maybe as a "poor college student" he shouldn't make his car his most important possession. Perhaps he would be better served getting something cheaper and investing. Not saying it's the right or wrong thing to do but it's certainly advice and that's what you get on these forums.

#22 ·
Hey Frosh you kicked the hornest's nest! It would be pretty funny if you were a 55 year old somewhre in middle America. In the net no one is for real. Pretty funny responses from the members. Just too funny! If are a frosh who really gives a damn why or how you are buying a 5 series? The last time I checked this was still America and choice is somewhat a protected right when when it comes to spending your money, your parents, or in some cases the government's money. Best post responses I have seen in any post!:):):):):):)

#24 ·
Buy whatever car you like - who cares what others say - as long as you can afford it. As for price $1000 over invoice is a pretty good price. I would be happy with that.

The 528i is a great car - but if I were a college student I would also consider other BMW offerings :) (personal opinion). Living in Cali - a BMW convertible would be awesome :).

#26 ·
You can't go wrong with any BMW you choose, good luck to you and don't be put off by some of the comments, there is some very valuable info on this site for future reference.

#28 ·
The question isnt whether a college student on a budget should buy a bmw but rather the values our society puts on material possessions.

No one buys a bmw because its practical. Its bought for enjoyment. Warren Buffet drives a 38 thousand dollar Cadillac. He can of course drive whatever he wants. A BMW or expensive luxury car is not important to him.

You think this college kid is the only one who shouldn’t be in a bmw? Guaranteed the board is full of people who should probably drive a cheaper car that would be more appropriate for their particular financial situation. Ever take a look at swapalease.com. You can find 7 series BMWs for 1,800 month. How is that even possible? That person obviously is a higher credit risk and pays more for a lease. That’s crazy.

There are plenty of people who buy a BMW so they can say BMW to the valet when they are out, or so people can see them get into such a car. No one should feel that sort of pressure to get themselves involved in a car they really cant afford in order to represent a social status that makes them feel good about themselves. At the end of the day, people will like you for who you are, not for what you have. Superficial conversation about one's possessions gets boring real quick.

On the other hand, if a BMW represents terrific engineering, attention to detail, superior handling and a great driving experience that you really appreciate, if it brings out passion in a hobby and something that brings satisfaction and enjoyment, then its ok to allocate resources to something that brings fulfillment.

I think people's problem with the college guy is that he isnt dedicating time to research and understand the subject and the implication is that he is buying a 5 series for status rather than following a passion.

I myself enjoy the passion of owning a hi performance luxury sedan. It amazes me that my 535XI is perfect for my family yet handles better than sports cars I’ve owned as a teenager. I probably should be driving a car that is a little cheaper but the enjoyment and appreciation is worth it to me.

Im not passing judgment, its not my business why someone wants to buy a car. I'm just putting out a few possibilities.

#30 ·
yeah, i understand... many people tell me that i just wanted the status and to show off. but i actually really like f10, i mean of course there is ferrari, maybach, etc which is also great but i just feel 5 series is the right one for me, actually i only like two cars. i will purchase Nissan "teana" if it is exist here, but its not so i choose f10 which i also really like.
fyi: i spend hours just to look the picture of it... and i attend its launching in "indonesia" and also auto show... (i guess, i can called this a passion)

#31 · (Edited)
Kohjul:

I just returned from test driving an F10 535i. The car is absolutely awesome. To me, it was a totally different driving experience than that of the 528i, and definitely worth the extra bucks. If you think a 528i is a great car, go out and test drive the 535i. It will be a no brainer. You won't turn back.

We look forward to hearing about your new BMW soon. :thumbup:

#33 ·
That color combination will definitely be a knockout. :thumbup:

#34 ·
yeahh... i choose that because i think anthracite wood trim is the sexiest among other wood trim, so just combine it all black... and imagine it.... hmmm looks good.
really really lovin the ambiance light... so mellow, relaxing to eyes when driving at night.... sweet

#35 ·
You should get the Anthracite Headliner. It will look spectacular with your color scheme. It is a beautiful black suede like headliner. My E60 was Carbon Black Metallic, Black Leather, Dark Wood, and Anthracite Headliner. It was spectacular. I never grew tired of that color scheme. The Anthracite Headliner was rare and very cool.

#37 ·
They are not made of suede. The anthracite has a black color with a suede like finish. All the ceiling plastic components are black. The overall effect is beautiful. The oyster gray headliner is what you see in every 5er in the dealership. It is a beautiful color and fabric, but not suede like. It is very ordinary.

#39 ·
Sorry, I have the anthracite and it is actually the same material as the other headliners. It's like a woven cloth material. One nice thing though, they give you the cloth covered visors instead of the cheap looking vinyl ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.