BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z3: How to Lube the AC Controls?

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Mpire 
#1 ·
Is there a way to lube the AC controls? The Z is giving me much more resistance than the Coupe when I turn the knob to change the flow to the floor vents.

Ron, do you have the official BMW docs on this by chance?

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
#6 ·
So bringing back this thread from the dead...

The cable seems to be sticking at each position, but I don't really see a way to replace it. It is riveted to the AC box.

Following the link above I am adjusting the blend door knob. I have a spare AC panel (all you guys who made fun of me for stockpiling parts feel stupid now!)

Lets hope that it doesn't break again...

Now on to lubing up the control cables...

Anyone know how to do this?

Attachments

#7 ·
I ended up drilling and tapping the lever arm for a servo ball joint that was recommended in the other thread.

As best as I can tell, the blend door is sticking inside the AC box. Moving the lever by hand gives me the same resistance right before it lets go.

Not sure I have a better solution, but the ball joint works well and the AC is working again.

I have a pack of the joints, I also have the drill and tap kit I got for this project. I also picked up a drill press to make sure I do it right. And a set of mini wrenches.

So.... if anyone needs this fix, just let me know and I can probably do it for you in a few minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.