BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Recalling 30,000 X5 Sport Utilities

6K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Marwan 
#1 ·
BMW is recalling almost 30,000 of its diesel-powered 2009-12 X5 sport utilities because the power-assist for the steering may fail, according to a report from the automaker posted on the Web site of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
eek..

#7 ·
Is there a MY/VIN # range list somewhere showing the cars being recalled? Has anyone seen the BMW communication to the dealers showing the procedure? I've seen the recall document and the availability of parts communications but not the actual procedure - I have searched this forum and others.

#8 ·
Recall

My car is in for service today and they said they will be dealing with the recall to replace the "bolt" at the same time.

#17 ·
Still at the dealer

My car is in for service today and they said they will be dealing with the recall to replace the "bolt" at the same time.
My issue with the car was repeated warning message for "Engine working at Reduced Speed". The car was hooked up for over seven hours and the dealer has contacted BMW Canada for help. In other words they do not have a clue!!

Anyway, they had to give me a loaner - a 2013 X3, which is OK for me as I am still mobile.

I do hope they know how to fix that bolt!!

#13 ·
Anyone read that document ductman linked?

Quite interesting history over the last two years.....

#23 ·
Hey, for all of us (including myself) who've had the recall fix done already, how do we know that the bolts the dealers have put in our cars aren't old, defective ones that they've had in stock for a long while?

#24 ·
What kind of dishonest dealer would do that? My appointment is tomorrow and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will replace the bolt the proper way with the proper parts and that they will not screw up anything else while doing it. I've had so many dealer screw ups over the years (not BMW) that I just KNOW that if there is a sliver of room for a screw up they manage to find it. Having said that, I cannot believe that any dealer would knowingly use old/defective bolts to perform the recall.

#26 ·
If I just bought my d on Friday (the 7th). Would they have already fixed that, or would that have been to soon for it to get fixed?

#28 ·
They would have already done it. iIRC, it is a violation of federal law to sell a car with an open recall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.