BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Run-flat Tire and wheel insurance

9K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  ashwinkhai 
#1 ·
Hi guys, do you guys know tire and wheel insurance? when eveyone purchase the new BMW and dealer will always offer tire and wheel insurance option to customer.

I heard NA BMW is going to stop that program on Aug. 1st 2013. Not totally stop, but is like becoming limited times of claim or there is deductible fee need to pay... So, go find out, or purchase your new ride asap. good luck!!

#5 ·
Really? Cuz I heard run-flat tire is not repairable on most area... And for whatever reason if you get nail then you have to replace the new tire. Also right on insurance exp, my dealership will help me to change brand new set of tires. So that's why I think it's important to get it.

#10 · (Edited)
TireRack's tech statement on repairing run flat tires explains that some manufacturers (e.g., Pirelli) do not endorse repair of their RFs, while others provide guidelines that permit some repairs. TireRack's own position is this: Tire Rack will not repair any run-flat tires that have been driven in a severely underinflated or zero pressure condition because the service conditions they experienced and integrity of their internal structural cannot be confirmed.

Bridgestone's guidelines say: It depends on how far and at what speed the car was driven after the puncture was sustained. Repair is possible only if deemed so by the tire sales store. Preconditions include a puncture of less than 6mm for both side-reinforced type and support-ring type Run-Flat tires, plus minimal damage to the support ring in case of the latter. However, it is strongly recommended that the tire is replaced as its durability will have been weakened after being repaired.

So the keys are: 1) know the policy of your tire manufacturer; and 2) respond to TPMS warnings before the tire deflates much. There should almost always be sufficient warning to save the tire. e.g., note that TPMS is mandated in new cars because industry data has revealed that slow leaks account for more than 85% of tire deflations.

But you might still want to consider tire and wheel insurance. There will always be some degree of uncertainty, and some drivers will not feel safe with a repaired RF. BMW will certainly recommend replacement, and many tire shops refuse to consider repair. Yes, you can find cheaper tire insurance from independent tire stores, but there is still the concern that potholes in some cities are bad enough to damage the wheel as well as the tire.

#12 ·
RF punctures can be repaired or patched on the treads, not the sidewall that will be needed if a flat occurs.

I waived my option to purchase the costly insurance. Only had 3 flats in 15 years of driving. This includes the 2 after our new subdivision was created with all the construction and nails on the road.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#13 ·
Had 2 nails. 1st one, the dealer said bring it in, we can patch it. When I brought it in, was told run flat cannot be patched before anyone even looked at it! 4,000 miles, $400.

At 15k, another flat, took it to a tire shop, they fixed it in 10 minutes, no charge. Tires still going strong with 32K miles on them.

#14 ·
So the dealer wants to sell me a tire and wheel ins package for $1595 underwritten by all All state. The equivalent BMW package it $2295. He won't negotiate the price. This for a 328xi lease, lux line, picking up in munich in 2 weeks. I didn't get the package for my last car, a 2005 330xi, and was glad I didn't.

He claims that 1) replacing a run flat is way expensive and they are more susceptible to problems than regular tires and 2) the 18 inch rims are very susceptible themselves, that replacing one will cost $2000, and that is likely to happen on northeast/NJ roads. I have 24 hrs to decide.

I assume he is exaggerating, but how much. Opinions?

#15 · (Edited)
So the dealer wants to sell me a tire and wheel ins package for $1595 underwritten by all All state. The equivalent BMW package it $2295. He won't negotiate the price. This for a 328xi lease, lux line, picking up in munich in 2 weeks. I didn't get the package for my last car, a 2005 330xi, and was glad I didn't.

He claims that 1) replacing a run flat is way expensive and they are more susceptible to problems than regular tires and 2) the 18 inch rims are very susceptible themselves, that replacing one will cost $2000, and that is likely to happen on northeast/NJ roads. I have 24 hrs to decide.

I assume he is exaggerating, but how much. Opinions?

This is the x3 forum. You might get better answers in the 3series forum. But for my opinion that price is crazy! Especially for a 3 year lease. I would pass on that.

If u bought the car then that might be a different story and if the warranty was for 5 years. Also that's a bunch of crap 1rim for $2000! Laugh real loud the next time he mentions that to you

#20 ·
If you lease and plan on getting a new X3 every 3 years or so, I can't see how the tire insurance can be cost effective. I think you'd really need to have at least 3 of the tires to need to be replaced in order for it to be worth it and really - when was the last time you had to replace 3 tires in 3 years.

(Of course a bunch of you are going to say yes you have and then I look stupid. LOL)

#22 ·
Wow.. This forum is amazing.. I just signed for my BMW X3 2014. The finance dept person said the run flat tires cannot be patched and even potholes can cause rim damages which are covered in tire warranty.. She said 1tire alone costs 400 bucks and rim even more.. I was inclined to purchasing it until I read this... I am going to decline it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.