BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

So, what is a ballpark as to the worth of this?

4K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  NC BMW Driver 
#1 ·
1991 M5
No rust
Interior in decent shape, no rips or tears in seats.
185000 miles
Been repainted, but paint in decent shape.

Any gotcha's I need to look at in particular?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
You need to make sure the engine is in great working order, the m/engines require more maintenance, and if you need repairs expected it to be very expensive. Make sure service records are up to date, also need to test drive at 50-55mph to make sure the front suspension is ok. Look for a shake in the steering at those speeds. It's usually a part of the car that needs attention. Really need more info to give a price estimate. M5s in great shape usually fetch 13-15 grand, above average cars are around 8-10 grand, average cars around 5-7 but they may need more work.

Sent from my SPH-M910

#4 ·
the S38 is a very expensive engine to build. but they the car was well taken care of with tons of receipts and maintenance you will be fine.

One thing you have to realize is that you are buying a 20 year old super sedan, you will spend money on it.

#10 ·
OK, from what I have been able to read the car is fairly complicated, but nothing unusual for BMW's. (I currently own a 735iL) The biggest issue I can see is if it ever needs major engine work the availability of parts is very limited and prices are appropriately high.

So, with 185K miles what are the chances of this car needing an engine rebuild/major work any time soon?

Thanks in advance.

#11 ·
OK, from what I have been able to read the car is fairly complicated, but nothing unusual for BMW's. (I currently own a 735iL) The biggest issue I can see is if it ever needs major engine work the availability of parts is very limited and prices are appropriately high.

So, with 185K miles what are the chances of this car needing an engine rebuild/major work any time soon?

Thanks in advance.
Probably pretty high, the m/cars are usually driven pretty hard. Like it's been metioned by Tward, and Andy the s38 will be very expensive to rebuild. It's nothing like the M30 that's in your 735.It's basically a race engine. My advice is to join bimmerforums.com or the m5board and ask them. No one on the fest has an m5. We're just telling you what we know from research and general knowledge.

And haolibird, Tward is going to school to be a bmw technician and already possess a lot of knowledge about bmws. The M5 is a very expensive car and I understand why NC BMW Driver is concerned about what he spends on this car.

#17 ·
TWard, Thanks for the lead on this car. Title transfers Saturday to me for this car.

This car was beautiful and well cared for. Transmission shifts well, clutch is tight, mostly highway miles. Interior is beautiful as is the exterior.

More photos to follow.

#13 ·
OK, OK!!

Good for TWard, no doubt, a very good contributor.

In my enthusiasm, (Excitement, Andrew), I made a silly post.
In retrospect, (That means looking back, Andrew), my post was...tripe.

That said, I was somewhat surprised by the response of "This is why I don't post..."
Only to be followed up by "He doesn't speak good English".
Talk about ***8220;Tripe***8221;.

I will take more consideration in the future, concerning contributing to this forum.

You two might want to consider holding back insulting comments.
It contributes nothing, and it***8217;s beneath you both.

Best regards,
Tom

#14 ·
OK, so I got to see the car today.

I will also check out the M5 forums, but do have a few questions you may be able to help with.

1. The gearshift seems to be rather vague. Not at all like I'm used to. The reverse doesn't even seem to have a detent to prevent you from accidentally shifting into reverse. Is this normal?
2. The clutch engages right off the floor. Again, normal?
3. The car was tight and handled well. Idled smooth, lots of power. Overall I liked it. The interior, while there were no rips and tears, but it was a little worn.
4. The dog bones and some suspension components will need to be replaced, but that is no problem.
5. The current owner seems pretty knowledgeable on what is required to keep this car up and follows the required maintenance schedule. I think this is good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.