BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DIY - How To Update Transmission Software (2-1 Shift problem)

279K views 86 replies 54 participants last post by  FiireBat 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.

This issue is a very well known issue and we all know there are few solutions out there such as Guibo, tranny oil, software update, etc.
There are DIYs for most of the solutions but I couldn't find a DIY for software update. most saying you have to take it to the dealer. Since I like to DIY everything possible I managed to update my transmission software and it really makes a difference.

I'm assuming you have your cable and know how to install drivers and stuff

1. Download and install BMW standard tools. It contains INPA, NCS, winKFP, and tool32.
This will only install the programs, you need the sp-daten files for e65.
http://www.mediafire.com/?xg3ms9lk59vslxc

2. Use the attached guide to setup winKFP.

3. Open INPA>>choose chassis>>Transmission>>Gearbox Control module>>Identification (F2). now press arrow down on your keyboard and take note of your Assembly number. Close INPA

4. Open winKFP>>Comfort mode>>Enter ZUSB and Enter the assembly number.>> Take note of your ECU family.

5. Now press F3 (Update ZUSB) and choose your ECU family.>>Ok

6. F4 (Enter VIN) and enter your full VIN number. >> Ok >>F8 (DONE).

7. F3 (Prog. ZB-Update). Here a pop up shows you your current and updated assembly number. If they are the same you already have the updated software but if not press okay.
Another pop up asking permission to program ecu....press okay and your done.

It took about 5 mins. so if your car's battery can hold up for 5 minutes you'll be alright.

At the end it should tell you that the programming was okay.

I reset my adaptation values using INPA after it was done and believe me it makes a huge difference. 2 to 1 jerk is 99% gone. I think I also need to change tranny oil and it'll be 100%.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Hey guys I'm looking to update my software and really don't wanna go to the dealer...question forgive my ignorance but I just got my first BMW and don't kno anything bout it till I sign up to this awesome forum I have a 2007 750 li if I update the software what different would it do to my car and do I also need a diagnostic tools if I decide to DIY it??

#11 ·
The procedure is the same as above for every module but remember it could take hours. you better have a power supply connected to your car. but for transmission that is being discussed in this thread, it only takes minutes. tools you need are the ones posted here.

#12 ·
So I managed to install the software as per the instructions! When I launch INPA nothing displays except Battery Off Ignition Off. The cable is a usb cable that is connected to the OBD port on the car. Tried it with car on and off, ignition on and off. Windows did automatically install the drivers for the cable so I don't know what the issue is. Is there a way to troubleshoot the connection?

#14 ·
Man! This post is so valuable and informative. It should be in the sticky or moved to DIY session.

Just a suggestion Morty, PM the forum moderator to have it moved.

I would also suggest the same for the other VIM DIY post.

Thanks buddy! E65 community is lucky to have someone like you here Morty!

#19 ·
It's a little kick you get when you are about to fully stop. The older software tells the gearbox to change to 1st just before the car comes to a stop so you feel a kick. Some say with the new updated software it does not change to 1st at all and starts from 2nd. but in my case it waits for the car to fully stop and then changes to 1st. As I said this is only 100% effective when it is done along with tranny fluid, guibo, etc. However you feel the difference right away.

#25 ·
Thank you for the write up.
When trying to perform step 7 i got the error "security access denied" and the flash would not proceed.
I had to change the configuration of WinKFP for fast baud rate to successfully flash. Seems like there are differences from ECU to ECU.
My update to the dynamic drive ECU required the fast baud rate to be disabled.

#28 ·
745li

Great info, thanks for the effort, will be downloading asap.

Question though, have a '04 754li, and the stealership swears there is not a software update for the 745li's only the 750's.

A claim was made with PUMA (I think that's it), which the dealership said was a division of BMW, concerning drivability issues (going into 5th gear issues, sometimes starting in 2nd gear, etc) generally all the things that are supposed to be addressed with the "urban" updated software. They said tranny was bad, needed replaced for $9k, on a 41k mile car.

It seems the modern day dealership is a parts swap-er, and will not service and repair.

Just want to see if anyone has any input before trying this.

Thanks for your time.
Ken

#29 ·
Here is an USA article (link at the bottom). Just need to keep pouring the NHTSA with complaints and safety issues. The more we document the issue, the more chances to get a recall (Hopefully a global recall. keep your fingers crossed)
pdated 2012-04-16 5:46 PM

NHTSA looking into serious issues with BMW's big 7-series luxury cars. Here's the Associated Press story:

U.S. safety regulators have found 16 crashes and five injuries in an eight-month investigation of transmission control problems with BMW 7-Series cars.
CAPTION
By Uwe Lein, AP

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration began the probe in August and has now upgraded it to an engineering analysis, which is a step closer to a recall. However the cars have not been recalled.

The investigation covers nearly 122,000 BMWs from the 2002 through 2008 model years.

The cars have push-button start and electronic transmission controls. In some cases, the owners may think the cars are in park when they're actually in neutral. The safety agency said in documents on its website Monday that the cars can roll away unexpectedly and crash.

Messages seeking comment from BMW were not immediately returned on Monday.

NHTSA said in the documents that BMW and investigators have received 50 complaints about the problem.

In one case, the driver of a 2002 745Li told NHTSA that the car was parked at a day-care center north of Atlanta when it rolled about 40 yards and crashed into a parking lot embankment on March 29, 2010. No one was hurt.

In another complaint, a driver reported that he parked his 2006 750 model BMW on Feb. 21, 2007, and it was supposed to automatically shift to park when he touched the stop-start button to turn off the car. Instead, after the driver left the car, it rolled backward about 100 feet and crashed into a lamppost, the driver told NHTSA. No one was injured. He did not set the parking brake.

"The dealer stated they are unable to diagnose the failure," the man told NHTSA.

Federal safety regulators do not release the names of people who file complaints.

NHTSA said it upgraded the investigation to an engineering analysis "to further assess the potential safety consequences of the alleged defect."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/04/us-steps-up-probe-of-bmw-7-series-crashes/1#.T_oLEPWrGuQ

#30 ·
Will this update benefit any year of the e65? I have a 2006 and don't have any harsh shift while slowing , 2-1. Occasionally if I step on it while doing 10-15mph the 2-1 downshift while under load feels harsh. I have everything in place to do the trans software update but want to know if this is good for all years or is it possible I will be rolling back my newer software.
Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App

#31 ·
Folks with Rapid Share files: Is there another way to download? I've had success only once in several attempts to download files from RS. The download of a 30Mb file takes over 12 hours (I have business class cable modem, and it works right, and 30Mb on other sites takes only moments reliably and routinely), and more often than not it stalls at about 95%, so another full day of waiting wasted.

I don't enjoy being coerced to pay a monthly fee to Rapidshare to download a public domain file, nor should any of us. Since Rapidshare claims there's no limit on downloads, I have to conclude that it's just a poor service instead of being intentionally limited to some arbitrary file size. There must be a better way??

#32 ·
Attached is a relevant SIB for those driving a 745i or 745iL.

I replaced my Guibo joint. After resetting the transmission adaption values, it took my car almost a week to smooth out the 2-1 downshift shift, although I'm not running the most recent transmission software.

Attachments

#35 ·
I am trying to work thru this.
I try this part
3. Open INPA>>choose chassis>>Transmission>>Gearbox Control module>>Identification (F2). now press arrow down on your keyboard and take note of your Assembly number. Close INPA

inpa both circles are black and have on beside them so i assume i am good. When i choose the g19 transmission i get the following error
Variant Checking
it has
Group file : D_EGS
SYS-0005: OBJECT FILE NOT FOUND
Program will be stopped!

#36 · (Edited)
Thanks for the diy i have completed this on my 02 745i and it drives a lot better, any other modules i should program or reset or is there a full update for all the modules or is it just the transmission one. I have a high idle on my car i check vacum leaks and everything checks out fine and had it smoked too. Thanks again for the diy and everyone on the forum because without this community the stealer would have are ass lol. Merry Christmas Everyone any Happy New Year

#37 · (Edited)
I just tried this on my 745i.

Have some SERIOUS problems. I'm not new to using the BMW toolset and I'm an IT tech so I understand how stuff works generally speaking.

I tried this flash to update the gearbox in my car as I had been experiencing the hard 2-1 shift.

As it started updating I got the transmission warning on the dash (I assume is normal), and it started doing the flash. I waited as it went through, it hit 100% after about 4 mins.

It did not say succeed or completed, but popped up the same message (press ok to program 11 flashes remaining or similar - 1 less than before the start). I pressed okay on that one, the bar was still at 100% in the background but the status at the bottom of winkfp was "ready", but the program hung. I waited another 10 mins or so but nothing happened.

The car still says transmission failsafe gear cannot be displayed, and will not go into any gear.

INPA can no longer access the gearbox (saying something like it is responding but can't be recognised).

I can't flash it again with winKFP as it says the UID is incorrect (or similar).

I CAN connect to it with tool32 (have done reads only) and it is still responding, but a couple of the flash read options say the UID is incorrect.

I understand I can unbrick the ECU with tool32 but I don't know how, I've never used it before.

Can anyone help??

EDIT: FIXED IT AND SUCCESSFUL UPDATE.

Used tool32 to send a reset command after googling what the German things meant.

After this (still completely unusable) I was able to re launch winKFP and re flash the module.

took about 25 mins to do the flash this time :eek: (3-5 min hang, then slow flash over5 mins, then 3 min hang, then fast flash, then hang, then slow flash, then hang).

After this i had a load of errors on the DME DSC and SIM.

Cleared them all, and now its working :D

Will post an update if it fixed the problem tomorrow :)

#42 ·
thanks for posting :D

Will it affect brake assist ?

which operates when for example you are crusing @ 60 mph and the gear change is on 6 and suddenly you applied hard braking ... the car will respond and down shifts quickly with you to bring the car to stop a lot faster

Do you feel that this future is now gone ? and is there any differnce in the gear-box behaviour other than the 2-1 problem ?

thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.