BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

85 635CSI Trans options?

10K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  siscobmw 
#1 ·
First of I want to apologize if this info is somewhere else... i'm pretty sure its not.

I have an 85 635csi 4hp 22. I just bought it. With "tranny issues" I don't know what it is yet what I do know is that I hate autos. I have no idea when they ever put an auto in this beautiful car. Anyway I need to get it on the road asap and I'm looking for options. I know the getrag 265 would be the ideal but they are a little hard to come by and not cheap. The question is;

WHAT TRANSMISSION CAN I USE?

Like I said I need to be able to get this thing moving. I need a list of trannies that can be used (adapted or not) do care what i t is as long as it allows the car to run properly. 5 speed is the goal but I don't have any time right now. For the price I could not let this beautiful specimen go though. 128K miles perfect interior $400. :thumbup: but I have to get it moved. Even if that means auto for a bit.:bawling:

Please help,, Oh masters of bimmer knowledge.
I know that someone out there has probably tried every tranny option they could.. what work is the question. This is the perfect chance to show what you know in the relm of ,, huh wonder if that would work

Thanks,Canaan

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the auto in mine...they are virtually indestructable (the car is too big and heavy to drive fast anyway)
I am not too horribly versed in the transmission swap world but i am sure any of the manuals that fit in the 6ers and the 5ers of that era would work out aiiiight

anyone else want to chime in on this?

also I would check on bimmerforums.com as they have a lot more tech help stuff with the older cars

cheers fellow 6er lover :)

#3 ·
not picky right now.

first off thanks for your time. I would just go wiht the auto for now but I don't have a line on one. the problem is I cant see spend the money these go for and still have it be auto.

Catch 22... quick swap auto to auto, spend extra $$ and not be satisfied or 5 speed ,,less $$ for the trans but much more in time and frustration. In the end I will be happier though.

Time and $$ are the main hurdles right now. That is why I'm hoping to find someone that has adapted a more readily available unit.

I will definitely keep in mind what you said about them being reliable. In the end this car is not going to be under powered though.

Thanks Brit,
Canaan

#5 ·
id have to agree

I'm on the same page with you here. As soon as I have the chance, I'm going to look a little deeper. I was told that the bands in the trans could be adjusted but, I, don't know this for sure. I have little experience with autos ( I've only owned one in my life) so I don't really know how to address any given issue when they arise.

Here is what it is doing.
I got the motor running put it in gear ( on block) the wheels turned in D and R. Drop the car to the ground started it and put it in gear. nudged like an auto does when you put it in gear but when gas is applied nothing happens just free revving. This is the same no matter what "gear" it is in. 1, 2, D or R.

The owner said that he took it in to a shop with a drive ability issue and when he picked it up it had this problem. I talked to a BMW tech in Seattle that told me if you do the recommended fuel injection service ie run @ 2K revs for a bit while running cleaner through the fuel sys, it will torch the tranny from lack of air flow. I guess this was done a number of times and then a service update was issued to address it. ( a fan)

LIke I said I'm far from versed in bimmer engineering. So if you have any insight I'm more than open to it. I closed the deal tonight so now it is mine and the crunch is on to get it going.

Where should i start as far as diagnosis. THank you all so much.

I didnt really need this project on my plate too, but the car is so pretty I had to pull the trigger.

It was kindda like saving a puppy. I hated to see her sitting out side by herself not being played with or getting love. I have a soft spot.:bawling:

#6 ·
I just saw that the car is an '85 so it doesn't have the electronic transmission (no knob next to the gear selector, right?). So it won't be electronic problems.

Check the silly obvious stuff first, It's still got ATF in it right? The transmission filter is not plugged?

I talked to a BMW tech in Seattle that told me if you do the recommended fuel injection service ie run @ 2K revs for a bit while running cleaner through the fuel sys, it will torch the tranny from lack of air flow. I guess this was done a number of times and then a service update was issued to address it. ( a fan)
Yes, these transmissions are generally strong, but they have one defect that can be fixed with a teflon seal and a drain hole. If you rev them after you have had them in gear and then back to park, it can burn out the front "A" clutch pack. But you should still have reverse gear even with the "A" clutch pack out and you say you have no forward OR reverse gears? So it doesn't look like the "A" clutch pack is the problem.

The only symptoms, in the tranny Overhaul Manual, in common for "no drive in Drive" or "no drive in Reverse" is a plugged filter or a missed aligned shift linkage. I'd start with changing the ATF and filter and checking the linkage. You'll need either the Bentley or the online BMW Manual, see below.
___

Here is a link with the service letter explaining the problem with the "A" clutch pack, a link to rebuilding the clutch pack and a link to a free Overhaul Manual download (the UK link describes how the clutch pack went out and how he had to drive it home in reverse)Check out BC while you are there, it is dedicated only to the Sixer:
http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8437

There are no aftermarket repair manuals for the Six, but it shares the same engine, drivetrain, suspension and many systems with the 5-Series so the Bentley BMW 5-Series '82 to '88 Manual (Green cover, $38 at Amazon.com) works very well. The "Driveablity" and the fuel injection sections alone are worth the price for diagnosing running problems.
http://www.amazon.com/BMW-5-Service...1070056?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181794459&sr=8-3

Online Factory Workshop Manual. It covers the early, e12 based cars - 630 to 633 before '82, as well as, the later cars, '83 to '89 and the M6. It is also for U.S. Spec. :
http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/

#7 ·
I just saw that the car is an '85 so it doesn't have the electronic transmission (no knob next to the gear selector, right?). So it won't be electronic problems.

Check the silly obvious stuff first, It's still got ATF in it right? The transmission filter is not plugged?

Yes, these transmissions are generally strong, but they have one defect that can be fixed with a teflon seal and a drain hole. If you rev them after you have had them in gear and then back to park, it can burn out the front "A" clutch pack. But you should still have reverse gear even with the "A" clutch pack out and you say you have no forward OR reverse gears? So it doesn't look like the "A" clutch pack is the problem.

The only symptoms, in the tranny Overhaul Manual, in common for "no drive in Drive" or "no drive in Reverse" is a plugged filter or a missed aligned shift linkage. I'd start with changing the ATF and filter and checking the linkage. You'll need either the Bentley or the online BMW Manual, see below.
___

Here is a link with the service letter explaining the problem with the "A" clutch pack, a link to rebuilding the clutch pack and a link to a free Overhaul Manual download (the UK link describes how the clutch pack went out and how he had to drive it home in reverse)Check out BC while you are there, it is dedicated only to the Sixer:
http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8437

There are no aftermarket repair manuals for the Six, but it shares the same engine, drivetrain, suspension and many systems with the 5-Series so the Bentley BMW 5-Series '82 to '88 Manual (Green cover, $38 at Amazon.com) works very well. The "Driveablity" and the fuel injection sections alone are worth the price for diagnosing running problems.
http://www.amazon.com/BMW-5-Service...1070056?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181794459&sr=8-3

Online Factory Workshop Manual. It covers the early, e12 based cars - 630 to 633 before '82, as well as, the later cars, '83 to '89 and the M6. It is also for U.S. Spec. :
http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/
good info!! thanks for the links (useful for me as all I have is the 5er manual) :thumbup:

#8 ·
trackin it down...

Thanks for your input. We are starting get some where. I talked to a transmission tech today and he said that If I don't have go in either D or R than the T-converter most likely is toast.

You I have a tendency to believe people here over people that work at the shop. For the one reason.. You guys actually car what happens to my car. Not to mention the thousands of years of combined experience. May be not thousand,, but a lot.

So heer is where I'm at.
:

There is nothing adjustable.

swap the filter and fluid.

Man I wish I just had a spare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.