BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2001 528i. running lean

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  poolman 
#1 ·
Error code says that both front banks are running lean. What is the first thing I should do?

#6 ·
Follow up. Sounds like my 525i... has a vacuum leak. At least that's where I will start. I hope cleaning it will be good enough as they are $250, and frankly I would rather just pay my kids rent. Mike, regarding your cars look, I think the red rims look great and especially when seen from the rear and you get some taillight in the photo. Anyway I will Google cleaning a MAF and get to work on it. Wish me luck, cuz lean or not... it''s just purring.

#9 ·
Follow up. Sounds like my 525i... has a vacuum leak. At least that's where I will start. I hope cleaning it will be good enough as they are $250, and frankly I would rather just pay my kids rent. M Anyway I will Google cleaning a MAF and get to work on it. Wish me luck, cuz lean or not... it''s just purring.
if you suspect that you have an air leak, how does cleaning the MAF seal off the leak?:dunno:

aren't u better off looking for a leak, like in between the accordion folds of the intake boot, per se?

#7 ·
Hi.

Any progress on this im about to replace my MAF but can't find any part number printed on it.

I dont think i have an airleak because i hear no noise when i take the oilcap of on idling or when i remove the dipstick.
Whats strange is that there is no difference in idle when disconnecting the MAF.

I will order a new one as soon as i can find a part number printed on it, its not printed on the top.

Mine looks like this but nothing is printed on it.
http://www.maf-shop.com/en/vdo-siem...05/?plentyID=00410b7f009018cc77766a940685f8ae

Where do i find the partnumber on my MAF?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.