BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Carbon black and swirling

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  bimmernut1 
#1 ·
Does anyone else notice swirling on the hood especially? I can't wipe them out. My car is 24 hours old!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#2 ·
If you let the dealer prep it for you when you picked it up new, that is probably how the swirl marks got there. Dealers don't care how they wash your vehicle and carbon black and black will both show swirl marks like crazy. I suggest you visit the "detailing" section of the forum for some great tips on washing your X3 as well as removing the swirl marks. I NEVER let the dealer wash my X3 when it is in for service or take it through automatic car washes. To this day my X3 doesn't have a swirl or scratch on it.

#4 ·
Yes

#5 ·
If you have a black vehicle and are anal about keeping it clean you're going to have to hand wash it yourself or take it to a detailer and pay to do this for you. I can't buy a black vehicle- looks great when clean, but gets dirty too easily.

#7 ·
Yes swirl marks can be removed. This is my third black car. Mine is carbon black as well. Swirl marks and scratches can be polished out. Polishing removes swirls by removing a very thin layer of clear coat or paint. It's not as bad as it sounds especially since your car is new with several mils of paint thickness. Still, I polish my cars only once annually so as not to remove too much over time. I wax twice a year in between. I bought an orbital polisher that I use on my cars and will eventually use on my X3 as well once it collects a sufficient number of swirl marks to justify using. My advice:

1) Always tell the dealer to leave your car dirty. They should stay as far away from washing your car as you can keep them. They hire guys for small wages and they have multiple cars to rush through. Expect scratches and swirls from them. Better to let service fix your car then you wash it yourself.

2) Live with the swirl mark for now. Unfortunately you'll pick up a few more unless you keep your X3 in a bubble. Even when you carefully wash and wax the car you'll pick up a few. Wait until you have more than you can stand seeing, then polish. Just one or two marks, just change your perspective and you'll sleep better.

Take a look at this example of swirl removal. Unfortunately the original photos that showed the result of polishing are no longer hosted but post #40 photos are still there and it shows what is possible.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...utiful-beast-56k-stay-away-4.html#post1500064

There is another good thread on the M5 board on how to detail a car (if you want to spend a day or so). Let me know if you have any interest seeing it and I'll provide the link.

#9 ·
I love my dealer...offered to recondition the entire car and seal it. Complete swirl removal at no cost.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Let us know how it turns out. Dealers often make it worse rather than better or apply a sealant that temporarily hides the swirl marks and makes them appear better only to return in a short amout of time.

If it were me, I'd take it to a pro to make sure it came out right. Fingers crossed for you!

#11 · (Edited)
I think we're talking two different things. My dealer subcontracts detailing work as well. Thats not unusual. I'm talking about the complementary wash dealers frequently do as part of service. They don't subcontract complementary washes due to the cost. It's typically done out back just before returning your car. I've found this to be a swirl mark source. As a minimum go back there and see what's being used on your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.