BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M5 Availability & pricing

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Jeff_DML 
#1 ·
So I was at BMW of San Diego today (a friend was buying x-mas gifts from the boutique) and there was a black on black M5 on the showroom floor. It was gorgeous. It was also "used" and they are asking $119,000 for it. The salesman told another customer there is a 3 year waiting list and they typically sell between 25 and 40 grand over MSRP.

What do you all think of this? :dunno:

#5 ·
chuck92103 said:
Here in California we have folks with an abundance of money. Therefore dealers can mark up high demand cars like the M5/M6 and get away with it.

It is not about what the car is worth, but rather "who wants one first?"
Yeah....I think for the $25,000 savings I'll fly to Texas to buy this......first class even.

#7 ·
Got mine a month ago at MSRP and I'm in Florida, a long time "adjusted market value" state. I even lucked out an got the color and options I wanted. A little investigative work will find you a car at MSRP. Though extra costs might be an airline ticket or a flatbed or enclosed carrier.

#8 ·
MARCUS330i said:
So I was at BMW of San Diego today (a friend was buying x-mas gifts from the boutique) and there was a black on black M5 on the showroom floor. It was gorgeous. It was also "used" and they are asking $119,000 for it. The salesman told another customer there is a 3 year waiting list and they typically sell between 25 and 40 grand over MSRP.

I think that it is not very intelligent of a lot of customers that they would pay $25-$40 grand over sticker price to be the first official factory testers of a car that already have one major mechanical defect.

My local dealer have 4 M5's in the shop with the oil leak "problem", all of them sold at $20,000 over MSRP. One of them was brought in from a Porsche dealer, the customer really did not appreciate what he was getting for those $20,000 and traded it in for a Porsche...

This is ridiculous... :rolleyes:

#9 ·
I got my December 01 build M3 back in 02/02 from Indiana for a hair under MSRP.

That was when all dealers in CA were charging 15 to 20K over MRSP.

I even got to custom order the car with no sunroof. Back then, many CA dealers won't even order a stripper car because they are afraid the car wouldn't sell if I had backed out.

With the way the dealer service (mostly lack there of) in CA, there is really no reason not to buy one out of state. And if you have another car, this whole "we only give loaners to customers who bought their cars here" won't matter.

But perhaps these people are so rich that they can't take a day or two off to pick up the car out of state.

#11 ·
Technic said:
I think that it is not very intelligent of a lot of customers that they would pay $25-$40 grand over sticker price to be the first official factory testers of a car that already have one major mechanical defect.

My local dealer have 4 M5's in the shop with the oil leak "problem", all of them sold at $20,000 over MSRP. One of them was brought in from a Porsche dealer, the customer really did not appreciate what he was getting for those $20,000 and traded it in for a Porsche...

This is ridiculous... :rolleyes:
:stupid: BMW really sucks at introducing new engines. I would not even consider and M5/6 for several years. Especially with an unproven V10.

If the new M3 has a new V8 engine (smaller - not sure), I would stay clear of that one too.

#12 ·
Oil Consumption (Roundel)

I fell out of my chair laughing at the latest Roundel mag.

Someone wrote a letter in the tech talk area about oil consumption in their E39 M5. They were burning about 1 quart every 5k miles.

Roundel quoted BMW as saying...

"BMW considers using 1 quart of oil every 750 miles to be normal". :tsk:

That is 1/2 quart every fillup. Why even bother changing the oil at 15k? :dunno:

I guess if I had an M5, and wanted to take a road trip, besides luggage, I should pack a case of oil. :yikes:

#13 ·
MARCUS330i said:

That is hilarious. Hey, I will setup you up with any color/option combo you want, and I'll only charge you $10,000 over MSRP (call my salesman, buy car at MSRP, contact you and make $10k). :) This is really crazy. These cars are available NOW on dealer lots at MSRP (or even under) here in North Carolina along with many other states. My dealer has allocations in Jan avaiable now at MSRP in addition to a car on the lot. Is California even part of the USA anymore?? :eek:

#14 ·
CSBM5 said:
.... here in North Carolina along with many other states. My dealer has allocations in Jan avaiable now at MSRP in addition to a car on the lot. Is California even part of the USA anymore?? :eek:
No... The California Republic has alot more high paying jobs and high-price real estate. :rolleyes:

I know this is hard to fathom, but for those of people who "have" 10% pricing difference is just a tip. :eeps: and not a big deal. But obviously you and I are in the "have not" group. ;)

#15 · (Edited)
CSBM5 said:
Is California even part of the USA anymore?? :eek:
Funny you should ask. First off, some people have made so much money in real estate that they are just swimming in it. I mean you could have bought a small 10 unit apartment building for $500,000 about 7 years ago. If you converted them to condos and sold them last year you would have grossed $3.5 million and netted at least a 2.5M profit pre-tax. And we're not talking prime A+ property here....not La Jolla or Coronado...we're talking North Park or Ocean Beach. So the profit off just ONE of those little condos would have gotten you 2 M5s and you would have paid cash for them.

On the topic of "Is California part of the USA?"....I just bought my first Apple product (iPod) for my E90 and on the side of the box it says "Designed by Apple in California". Nowhere on the packaging does it say USA. So to answer your question......No, it isn't. :)

#16 ·
ROFL!

Well, perhaps I'm just an old-fashioned type of guy or something, but no matter how much money I earn and invest, I don't just throw it away to some greedy dealer or seller of a product. However, if enough such idiots, er customers, exist in a given location, then perhaps it makes sense to create a separate business that will "cater" to their needs. ;) I say separate since when times get tough, you can just close the business now that the stupid money has gone away and still profitably run one's other "real" businesses. :)

Just in case anyone is interested...here's a dealer in NC with a new M5 they can't sell at MSRP so far: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...oryZ6131QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Wait until the auciton is over, call them up and offer $1k under MSRP -- bet it works. ;) Then again, why do that when you can line some dirtbag's pockets with $20,000 instead and get taken by a local?

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.