BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BIG PROBLEM WITH WHEEL & TIRE SETUP E90! Steering wheel vibration at 40mph-above!

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Orient330iNYC 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone.
Hope you guys can help me with this!

I have a big issue with my current setup on my E90. 328i Sedan Reg Pack non sport pack ( came with stock 16s)

Problem: Steering wheel is vibrating at 40mph and up. (Left to Right) and noticed more vibration.

I just purchased New TSW Nubringing Wheels Matte black (18x8 all four wheels) & NEW Michelin Pilot Sports 2 (Run Flats) the fronts being 225/40/18 & the rears being 245/40/18 from Discount Tires all at the same time almost 2 months ago.

I been getting constant wheel shaking and had them REBALANCED & FORCE BALANCED! 4 different location told me the tires and wheels are fine.

Tires are even and none are cupped or damaged.

Had Hubcentric rings on them but still had same issue, not currently dont have them on.

Can i please get advice on how to stop the shaking of the wheel, the faster i go the harder the wheel shakes left to right! Dangerous !

Do i have the wrong setup ? or need to go to squared setup?

BTW: Discount tire is currently trying to figure out what the problem is. The manager just ordered me 2 more 245/40/18's to put in the fronts replacing the 225s.

Thank you !

See less See more
#4 ·
Today, put on those 2 245s in the front all four had 245/40/18s the problem still occured so they put me back to 225/40/18 in the front and 245/40/18 in the back.

Do i need to get a specific hubcentric ring or spacers? Im confused are they the same thing or not?

Thinking about going to bmw dealership tomorrow morning for them to take a look at it. Can anyone suggest to stop all this vibration?

Thank you again.

#6 · (Edited)
I think you need to work with Discount Tire to resolve the problem, and it sound like they are working with you, which is good.

A BIG however....in my opinion, they put the wrong size tires on your car in the first place. The principle is that the circumference of the tires should be the same front and rear. When you have four tires the same size, they will of course be the same. When you stagger the tires you need to keep that same circumference front and rear -- which typically means that you have a narrower, higher profile tire in the front and a wider, lower profile in the rear. So when running a 225/40R-18 up front you would probably want a 255/35R-18 in the back, for instance. You can play with those values a little based on the specs of the individual make and model of tire but you attempt to keep them as close as possible. Your rear tires are two sizes bigger than your front tires. When they install 245s front & rear that problem will be eliminated, although I don't know if the 245s will fit up front.

I am not blaming your vibration on this front/rear mismatch, but you could end up with ABS or traction/stability control problems...

I would think that the BMW dealership will see the new non-OE wheels & tires bought elsewhere and not much want to touch it.

#7 ·
do you have the correct centering rings?

if the rims are bored for anything but 72.6, you need rings to bring the centerbore down to the correct size or else you will have vibrations

are you using spacers or anything?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.