BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Exhaust Tip Cleaning

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  f01driver 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone use anything in particular to clean our exhaust tips? The standard car wash does not cut it. Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
Just wanted to follow up on this and see if anyone had any other, additional suggestions; my tips are discolored from exhaust buildup.

Otherwise, is this what you're recommending, Cobra(?): http://www.eagleone.com/nevr-dull-wadding-polish

As stated, I plan to use it for our chrome exhaust tips, and I don't want it to damage the finish, if not already damaged.

Thanks again!

#5 ·
Can our cars go through automatic car wash? I thought it would damage the electricals?

I always have someone wash it for me. If it can use automatic car wash, how can we have the car in neutral and shut off the engine?

One the exhaust tip, I only use soft cloth to clean it, the dirts come out and no residuals left.

#7 ·
Every time you go through an automatic carwash, littls baby Jesus dies : |

#8 ·
I take mine through an automatic all the time. At first I only took it to a hand wash, but it was getting swirl marks even with them using fairly decent technique, so I said screw it - it's going through the machine. I'd prefer to wash it myself but there's no realistic way to do it when you're in a condo building. Still looks about the same as it did when I was taking it to a hand wash and it doesn't take as much time. With BMW Jet Black trying to keep it swirl-free is a commitment I'm not willing to put the time or money into. I just keep it waxed and it looks fine, even with the swirls.

#10 ·
Exhaust tip cleaning ..aka anal bleaching!!!!

Adam you are spot on about hand washing. I spent the first 12 months having my car hand washed by numbskulls in NJ, eventually found it less stressful going through the auto car wash because it does a better job and I don't have a numb skull promising me to hose the car down with plenty of water and then saying he doesn't understand.

May all your tips be cleansed!!!

#16 ·
I haven't had any problems with the rail on the car wash I go to, but I once saw a 335i owner have his wheels damaged at the same car wash. They looked like factory 19's with fairly low profile tires - much lower in profile than my own. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, as I have 19's and never had any damage.

Overall, you are taking on a fair amount of risk with automatic car washes. Both of my residences are condos so I don't have too much of a choice, unfortunately.

#17 ·
!. No one ever washes, waxes or details my car but ME!! I MAKE the time. I do a better job than any detailer (and certainly better than a blasphemous car wash) because I CARE!!)

2. Try ordinary chrome polish for your exhausdt tips- I've used it on real chrome and on chromed plastic with great results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.