BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

TPMS check if works?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Roman-dude 
#1 ·
the winter tires i picked up had older TPMS, so i got the new (used) ones to replace those and should have them installed shortly. but since that'll involve balancing the tires, i'd like to be able to check if TPMS's are actually in a good working order.. you know, to avoid rebalancing again.. is there a good way to quickly check that?
thx

#2 ·
A tire shop (such as a Firestone company store) with a hi-tech TPMS diagnostic tool should be able to test and tell you if the TPMS are in working order and of the correct frequency for your car. Your dealership should also be able to do this...$$$.

#3 ·
Snap-On makes an actual bench top chamber where a TPM can be live tested. I don't know of any device which can do a complete function test other than that. We have devices which can query a monitor, basically tell it to wake up and talk to me, but until it's installed under pressure you never know for sure if everything works.
I'd go ahead and install the monitors. If one is no good the car will tell you which one and you can just pop the bead on one side of that wheel and install another monitor without having to rebalance the wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.