BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

removing resonator only??

159K views 437 replies 80 participants last post by  derekwilkinson 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I currently own a 09 650i convertible
i was thinking going to the shop tomorrow to get the resonator removed and keep the stock exhaust...
will this make the sounder louder? or should i not even bother doing so?

#134 ·
just got my car back from my muffler guy, got all 3 resonators removed and X piped the 3rd box resonator. Holy fukkk this is the best $300 I ever spent. car sounds like a beast. Im amazed, whoever is thinking about doing it, listen to white drop top it is well worth it. And Im not trying to be a dick but the guy who removed his muffler and straight piped it sounds like ****. my car sounds way different, like way different. I wouldnt suggest anyone removing there muffler just x pipe it and remove the resonators. it will make ur car sound like theres a $3000 exhaust on it. Im so pleased right now. thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. one of the best threads i have ever read.

#138 ·
#143 ·
Im not gunna lie to anyone, theres a tad bit of droning. nothing compared to the video that the guy posted of the muffler delete. That is just riduculous, all in all it sounds amazing and its cheap. The best money I have ever spent on any car I have ever owned. the best bang for your buck you can get. Thanx again to white drop top, your last couple of posts really convinced me to do it, and Im so glad I did. I was going to ask you drop top, what did you use to tint your tail lights. That can be the spray looks to clean.

#147 ·
Weird you have a drone I have none. JPEG good work on doing it. see not that big of a difference. Now if you go spend a couple hundred more and get aftermarket mufflers you will have a great sound.

Sport mode is gthe way to run it for sure but for even better sound place shifter to the left, push sport button, DTC button pushed one and paddle shift!!! Sounds like my old Ferrari's at high RPM!!!

I am proud of you guys man :cry:

#149 ·
i went to the muffler shop i went to see if i can remove the resonator just to see how it will found better since everyone seems to be hating on my exhaust sound lol
removed the front resonator pipe with straight pipe and left the middle resonator (they guy said it works like a X pipe) and if i put x pipe in the place of the resonator and left the middle resonator, it will actually be quiter according to the guy.
anyways spent around 40 bucks to remove the resonator and it was too loud... like tooo loud...
since i didnt have time to switch back to stock, i am actually going back tomorrow to switch it back.
ill post a sound clip tomorrow if i have time before i return it to stock

#154 ·
Yep mufflers will do the trick mine sounds so clean

#160 ·
front resonator removed with straight pipe with muffler delete

its too loud for me i think.. i think i am going back to stock resonator...

#164 ·
WDT, do you have any cabin noise with the top up? I want to do some straight through mufflers but I do not want a loud car until I mash it...

Luker I would recommend straight through vs a chambered exhaust like flowmaster...but it may sound better, you'll never know without trying

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

#166 ·
WDT, do you have any cabin noise with the top up? I want to do some straight through mufflers but I do not want a loud car until I mash it...

Luker I would recommend straight through vs a chambered exhaust like flowmaster...but it may sound better, you'll never know without trying

No I have no loud sound inside with the top up. It can be driven normal to make it as quite as a church mouse. But when you mash it in sport mode ( which I do all day long) she sounds great.

NO DRONING of anykind

#167 ·
650i exhaust mod

Hey guys, new to the forum. Just picked up an 06 650i and researching exhaust mods for my car. I see alot of you haven't come across a general mod that gives you the loud deep tone with less drone at higher speeds.

I am thinking of front (twin) resonator delete, x-pipe the 3rd resonator(box), and keep stock mufflers to see what it sounds like. I have gone through a few threads and have not found video of this mod, only straight through mods and magnaflow mods. If any of you have done the resonator delete/xpipe install please post some sounds clips!

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

#168 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. Just picked up an 06 650i and researching exhaust mods for my car. I see alot of you haven't come across a general mod that gives you the loud deep tone with less drone at higher speeds.

I am thinking of front (twin) resonator delete, x-pipe the 3rd resonator(box), and keep stock mufflers to see what it sounds like. I have gone through a few threads and have not found video of this mod, only straight through mods and magnaflow mods. If any of you have done the resonator delete/xpipe install please post some sounds clips!

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.
Most of us don't want a tone that deep, but here is my setup(stock mufflers with all three resonators removed and x-pipe --as you said you wanted)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZyTrvBhXtE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#171 ·
B

Their is absolutely no interior noise at any speed and no one would assume this isn't how the car was suppose to sound. Overall - very clean and OEM sound, maybe 10-15% louder than the whisper quite stock setup but at full throttle from the outside it sounds a lot more exotic and high-revving. My x-pipe was installed where the front two resonators were and for better flow the shop used a step up 3" x-pipe(meaning it steps to 3" then back down to 2.25").

H-pipes generally do make deeper sound but aren't quite as good for performance, no one that I have seen has put one on a 6er.

Sounds good enough for me. I'll give this a try before I go and spend $1000+ on a Magnaflow. Any suggestions on where to get an X-Pipe? Pretty close with my mechanic so I'm sure he could help me out too.

#173 ·
Sounds good enough for me. I'll give this a try before I go and spend $1000+ on a Magnaflow. Any suggestions on where to get an X-Pipe? Pretty close with my mechanic so I'm sure he could help me out too.
Like Jpeg says the cabin noise is nill. It really liven's up under throttle but nothing obnoxious. The X pipe can be made by any competent muffler guy. Ity needs to be placed up front where the front two resonators are then straight pipe ( get rid of the third box) to the mufflers. $150 approx for a $1,000 sound. If you want more buy some magnaflow, flowmaster mufflers. :thumbup:

#174 ·
I LOVEEEEE THE POST you guys have helped alot. i have a 07' 6 speed 650i & im going with the resonator delete & Xpipe! haha stupid guy at BIMMERHAUS in broomfield, CO wanted to charge me a $1000 and that was a rough estimate.. lol but good thing not everyones an idiot! "white drop top" that sounds really clean!

#175 ·
No worries man go to any muffler shop a performance oriented one would be preferred and should be no more than $200. It will sound like you just spent a grand. Next step would be to spend a couple hundered more and get aftermarket mufflers

make sure to post a video so we can hear it my man!:thumbup:

#177 ·
Resonator delete

Ok guys. I gave my muffler shop a call. They said $60-$70 in parts and 1-2 hours at $90 per hour to remove resonators and replace with the x-pipe/straight pipe configuration. I read on here I shouldn't be paying more than $200 for this mod. Should I give a few more shops a call?

Does anyone know if resonator delete is reversible? I'm sure it will require rewelding. Thanks.

If I do get this done I'll take some quality videos.

#178 ·
Ok guys. I gave my muffler shop a call. They said $60-$70 in parts and 1-2 hours at $90 per hour to remove resonators and replace with the x-pipe/straight pipe configuration. I read on here I shouldn't be paying more than $200 for this mod. Should I give a few more shops a call?

Does anyone know if resonator delete is reversible? I'm sure it will require rewelding. Thanks.

If I do get this done I'll take some quality videos.
$200 is a fair price and yes it is 100% reversible. The cost to reverse should be 1/4 to half of the cost to install. That is the joy of this mod. The result feels like you spent $1,000 plus and in the slim chance you do not like it it'll cost you $100 to switch back. :thumbup:

Make sure the x pipe is placed in the front where the first gtwo resonators are

#186 ·
Actually, I think the resonator delete sounds much better than magnaflow cat back, and WDT their really isn't much if any difference(IMO) between the Magnaflow and stock mufflers(ie: your vs my setup)...

Everyone likes different sounds though

#187 ·
Actually, I think the resonator delete sounds much better than magnaflow cat back, and WDT their really isn't much if any difference(IMO) between the Magnaflow and stock mufflers(ie: your vs my setup)...

Everyone likes different sounds though

could not agree more. I happened to buy my can with mangno flow mufflers but would have just left stock mufflers and resonator delete if not. :thumbup:

#188 ·
I have read the entire thread. Here is my opinion/impression:
1. Resonator delete produce very nice sound and is the cheapest way.
2. Replace with magnaflow mufflers with produce deep muscle tone which many people like. Plus it reduced a lot weight.
3. The magnaflow cat back system cost $400 to $500 more, but no cut/welding involved (DIY) and dyno proven increase in HP/torque (magnaflow cat back system uses 2.5in pipe instead of factory 2.25" pipe).
So chose your system according to your need.

#189 ·
Just ordered the Magnaflow Cat-Back system. Figured it is worth the investment since its dyno'ed and a DIY job. If anyone is interested I picked my up for $841 off of eBay. There are still 2 more systems available that ship from magnaflow. Original price on eBay was $956 - 10% (discount for signing up for bill me later) - $19 (eBay bucks credit you receive for free) = $841

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0806210352&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll make some videos and post even though I'm sure its been heard. Still wouldn't mind a drive off and drive by video of resonator delete with stock mufflers!:thumbup:

#192 ·
It's DIY if you have a car lift; otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

MAGNAFLOW CAT-BACK P/N 16560 ARRIVED IN THE MAIL YESTERDAY. HAD IT INSTALLED IN 4 HOURS! Of course I had a friend helping me out... and a few beer/swimming-pool breaks...

Absolutely love the smooth sound coming out of that V8 now.

Sport mode brings it to life, but if you're in the mood to cruise and keep a low profile the option is there.

I'll get videos up soon. On another note, that V8 with nothing on it from the cats back sounds MEAN.

THE INSTALL:

Setup involved a curb (used Rhino ramps ($35) to get the front end up), rolled forward til there was no more clearance underneath due to the angle, then backed the car up onto the rhino ramps.(I put 2 jack stands towards the back incase the Rhino ramps failed) This gave me enough clearance to make it comfortable and get the stock exhaust out.

Stock cat-back slid right out the back in one piece. Magnaflow setup with the hardware transferred from stock exhaust then was brought in but I left the mufflers off until the forward section was installed.

Google: Supersprint BMW 650i Exhaust Installation... The first video result shows the install of a supersprint system, what clamps to remove from the frame, and which to leave on the frame. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.