BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2000 328i how to change turn signal bulbs??

17K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Lysander 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am new here..I have a 2000 328i and both of my turn signal bulbs need to be replaced..But, I cannot make any sense of the instructions in the manual. Can anyone help me???

Thanks.

#3 ·
Thank you for your reply....BUT, my problem is I cannot figure out how to get to the turn signal bulb...The manual says to press down on the tab in the oval hole...I have tried that still can't get anything to happen. I have changed my headlights, low and high, tail lites, etc, but these darn turn signals are a puzzle.

#4 ·
How to get to the turn signal bulbs????

I worded my question wrong.. I cannot get to the turn signal bulbs to change them. The manual is about as clear as mud. I have tried to 'push down the tab, by using a screw driver through the oval hole in the fender'..but still can't figure it out.

RDW

#5 ·
I worded my question wrong.. I cannot get to the turn signal bulbs to change them. The manual is about as clear as mud. I have tried to 'push down the tab, by using a screw driver through the oval hole in the fender'..but still can't figure it out.

RDW
Step 1 is to pull the entire turn signal lens assembly out of the car.

Step 2 is to pull the bulb out of the turn signal lens assembly to change it.

For detailed instructions on step 1, follow the link I provided above. It involves pushing a screwdriver down to release a tab.

#6 ·
Thanks, Kris, I printed the pics and will try again this evening. Even though I am a woman I am pretty good at this kind of stuff...changed all of my other bulbs, but these turn signal bulbs have got me..changing them won't be a problem..getting to the darn things is. I appreicate your help.

#7 ·
Well with the lens assemblies out of the car, you have all the room in your garage to get the bulbs out of the assemblies. If you have a suction cup of some sort (one that comes with a radar detector or gps maybe?), that will help - push down on the tab with a screwdriver then use a suction cup stuck onto the turn signal lens to pull it straight out of the front of the car.

#8 · (Edited)
The key to figuring it out is persistence. It can be challenging to figure out the first time you do it. And getting it done can be challenging even after you finally figure it out. Sometimes actually finding the tab and getting it to give takes a fair dose of patience.

Just keep at it. Good luck.

If you can't get it, you'll just have to go buy a facelifted model 3er. :p They made it easier with the facelift. :)

#10 · (Edited)
Replacing Front Turn Signal Bulb

There are at least two versions for the late '99 production: one that requires pushing down on a tab and one that requires levering a screwdriver away from you to push the lens out, so do NOT push down on anything to release the lens until you're certain which version you have. The owners manual is basically useless, as it simply says "release the lever" but doesn't tell you how. I can only describe my version: Looking through the oval hole, the first thing you'll see is a black flat piece of plastic. Do NOT push down on this or the silver-colored prong sticking out from it. Look a bit deeper and you'll notice a white tab, no more than 3" deep, so you don't need a long screwdriver. You just need to get the screwdriver behind the tab and push it away from you, thus causing the end of the screwdriver to push the lens out. It doesn't take a lot of force, so if it's not budging, you're behind the wrong tab. After it pops out, simply turn the receptacle and then the bulb to replace it. To reinstall, line up the prongs into the slots and push in until it clicks. (With all due respect, if you're giving advice, first be sure that it's correct).

#11 ·
^^^ You picked a five year old thread to bump with your first post? Hookay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.