BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M5 Impressions

12K views 95 replies 21 participants last post by  Ace535i 
#1 ·
2013 M5 Impressions

Every time I've had the chance I have put down the M5 because frankly, all the models I've tried in my view have been mediocre at best. Harsh ride, no low rpm torque, subpar transmissions, etc., etc. Every time I've driven one I've walked away disappointed.

This time again I was curious about the new one and I decided to take a look at it KNOWING that I was going to hate it but I had to drive it anyway. Yesterday, I was able to take a new 2013 M5 out for an extended test drive and I'd like to share my impressions:

Wow! It took me completely by surprise - I had a totally different experience than what I was expecting and most of it was positive. The car I tested had the double clutch automatic and I must say it is just about the best dual clutch automatic I've tested and it felt better to me than the Porsche's PDK - it just felt crisper and smoother at the same time. The engine also felt sublime to me with an incredible pull from just about anywhere above idle. I thought the ride would be harsh like the others . . wrong again . . even in the Sport Plus setting it felt tolerably firm and always controlled (my test car had the 20s with Michelin PSS non-RFTs). The steering feel was also superb.

IMO the car is just magnificent. Journalists who have given it a bad review don't know what they are talking about . . HA! People keep trying to make the M5 a sports car when it is not. It is often criticized because it is so massive and it feels so heavy. Yes it is, it feels heavier and more massive to me than my F10 550i but I find that perfectly OK and I love the feel. It is not a sports car, it's a super comfortable and massive ballistic missile. Kudos to BMW for this masterpiece.:bow:

See less See more
#6 ·
It is not a sports car, it's a super comfortable and massive ballistic missile.
So, approaching the M5 from a fresh perspective allows it to be appreciated for it's positive attributes. :thumbup:

#13 ·
No, acknowledging it is a ballistic missile is the fresh perspective. Expecting it to be a sports sedan, or more precisely the king of the sports sedans, is probably the reason behind all of the bad reviews

#21 ·
No, acknowledging it is a ballistic missile is the fresh perspective. Expecting it to be a sports sedan, or more precisely the king of the sports sedans, is probably the reason behind all of the bad reviews
I am sure BMW M marketing folks would disagree with this assertion that the M5 is no longer a sports sedan. Am I hearing that the M5 has become more like an AMG (i.e. luxo cruiser with more HP than the chasis/tires can handle)?

The M5 is about an inch wider which is a lot and rides on fatter rubber and has hydraulic steering. All of those can lead to a more stable and in a way massive feel with the weight being about the same.
I haven't test driven the M5 yet, so I don't know how to interpret "massive feel" (and not sure how much more massive than the 550i it can get), but since the 550xi also has hydraulic steering, I don't know if it has much to do with that feel. More on-center feel? Probably. More massive feel? No so sure.

#11 ·
I made the trade from 11 550xi to M5 a few months ago. Got it done at T&C BMW. Unbelievable trade in value they offered for my 550xi.

Drove the M5 very carefully (all economy mode) thru the first 2000km (just over 1 month) and after the break in period was over, drove the M5 with a bit more aggressiveness but now, I have to tone down (back to mostly economy mode) because I have my winter tires on. Have to wait til next Spring to really let the beast roar.

#17 ·
HA! People keep trying to make the M5 a sports car when it is not. It is often criticized because it is so massive and it feels so heavy. Yes it is, it feels heavier and more massive to me than my F10 550i but I find that perfectly OK and I love the feel. It is not a sports car, it's a super comfortable and massive ballistic missile. Kudos to BMW for this masterpiece.:bow:
Funny, in that I find the M5 less massive as it is more planted and tighter than the 535i, more like a larger 3 than a smaller 7 :)

#18 ·
My guess would be that your 535i is not equipped with Adaptive Drive. Cars that have the package feel smaller and more tossable in general. My 550i does have Adaptive Drive (Dynamic Damper Control + Active Roll Stabilization) and yet the M5 still felt more massive to me - I"m not sure why since they weigh about the same :dunno:

#22 · (Edited)
"but since the 550xi also has hydraulic steering, I don't know if it has much to do with that feel"
I think the OP was comparing to his RWD 550i which has EPS. If the M5s hydraulic steering requires a bit more effort to change direction I can see how that would translate into a relatively more "massive" feel when you tool around town. On a track with your hair on fire it's a different story where the M5s chassi reponses would likely negate any massive feel from steering effort and width giving the M5 a less massive feel than a 550i.

#32 ·
I have inquired about the M5 at my dealer. The trade makes it all a little complicated but not really, you get it on the trade or the purchase. He has one coming in Singapore Grey...which looks quite cool. Mamma mia, it looks so enticing. We'll see. Its a big change in dollars after only 11 months of owning my 535

#33 · (Edited)
I owned my 550 for 6 months :). Even worse was the fact that I installed Dinan stage 4 just days before unloading the 550.

My plan all along was to jump to the M5. I had one on order back east in Singapore Gray but stumbled across this one at the dealer somewhat accidentally. They were configured the same minus color and night vision, but I bought it anyways. I couldn't resist.

#36 ·
Went to the dealer today and they had a new M5 that a customer did not take delivery on after losing a $5,000 deposit. The car was a special colour...flat black. No gloss. I wasn't interested but I did take a look at the instrument options and turned it on...what a sound. I did not want to drive it - would just drive me crazier.

#34 ·
BTW, Car and Driver did a test of a 528xi with eletctric steering and a 535xi with hydraulic in this month's test. They preferred the electric, and the instrumented tests showed the electric steering to be more linear, more predictable and build force in a natural way.

#38 · (Edited)
MRSP is 113k in Canada with the Exec Pack and that seems to have every option available except for a fancy colour. Seems like 10% off is pretty good. Depending on allotments I'm told 4 months wait if you order one, at least right now. You probably don't need winters, (where i'd use 19s). I am assuming it has damper control?

#40 ·
Some dealers in SoCal want a $15K + MSRP market adjustment on these limited cars.

:drive:
Is that right now? The first ones were marked up but now they are not and allocations are available - I've been told that if I order now the car can be in production the following week. All M5s have a tremendous depreciation curve so I was getting ready to wait a year for the $20K discounts to start but 10% off MSRP sounds good to me too for a car available today.

#42 · (Edited)
The incentives aren't specific to the M5 and M6, they are available on all cars - which is an important difference.

This is the right time of year to buy a BMW regardless of which model it is.

#43 ·
The notion of the new M models not being excluded from incentives is surprising to me. I guess it won't be long before they no longer come out of dealer allocation.

#52 ·
The M5 seems like a great car. There are alternatives out there that will keep the price in check...I hope!! Like the Audi S6 And Jaguar XFR, both of which are meaningfully cheaper. I very much prefer the look of the M5...and that sound...!!!!;)

#61 ·
Every time I've had the chance I have put down the M5 because frankly, all the models I've tried in my view have been mediocre at best. Harsh ride, no low rpm torque, subpar transmissions, etc., etc. Every time I've driven one I've walked away disappointed. ....
Just thought you may like to read this, if you substitute enthusiast for purist in the article you'll pretty much make it representative of the ~fest~.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.