BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

road trip with 22's?

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  collins912 
#1 ·
I got a road trip coming up 8 hour drive, is it bad to leave my 22's on for this i got DWS tires on them...im never took it anywhere over 45min so just curious what others experience are with road trips and 22's

:p

#3 ·
i personally would not take my car on a road trip for 8 hours with 22s and fear or rock chips etc but i think you should be fine. before leaving check the tire pressure and ofcourse watch out for potholes!

#4 ·
8 hours of unfamiliar roads. Should be fine though. Be sure to have proper air pressure and not too much cause tires expand in the heat and prolonged drive distance.

#5 ·
Yeah 8 hours unfamiliar roads to a Rally stage race that my buddy is driving in PA STPR - i think the roads are back country roads 20% of the time, so been thinking about putting my stock wheels on hrmmmmm

#6 ·
I would absolutely take then off. Without question. The 7 can be a complete joy on the interstate, but with 22s it's going to be miserable.

I made one road trip, for an hour, on 22s and decided to never do it again. You will damage your wheels, but the big thing is you won't be able to relax the whole trip.

Change them out. I did mine more times than I could count. It shouldn't take more than an hour with the BMW jack.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#7 ·
If you have the factory wheels I highly suggest you put those on and make sure they are balanced and ready to go. Why would you risk damaging your wheels on an 8hour journey! Plus trying to find a 22 tire in a hurry might be hard esp if you damage one of the rears!

#9 ·
rode 7 hours each way to somewhere once on 22's . Wasnt bad. Drive 4 hours every other weekend for a for months. Wasnt bad either. Just make sure you have a spare.

#11 ·
Watch for pot holes

I took my 2011 750li from Houston to San Fransico on 22" from Vellano. Everything was good until we LA and my wife drove. Two bent wheels and we was down for three days. I got Vellano to make me two new Barrels. I was lucky that Vellano is about 45 min out of LA. So keep the 22" on the car and have fun. Just watch for holes!!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.