BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

s28i MPG after break in (>2,500 mi)

7K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Supagoat 
#1 ·
Anybody have mpg figures on the X1 s28i after 2,500 miles? I've read some threads on this forum but IMO I don't expect the fuel economy to match the EPA numbers until the car is broken in. Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
More from the school of hard knocks. My 328 sportwagon got 22.6 mpg during the first 2,500 miles, and about 25.0 the next 23,000 with no change in city/highway percentages. I did see a posting on the Ford C-Max forums that if you look on a certain page in the OM it specifically says to ignore fuel economy during the first 2,500 miles. Interestingly the new C-Max so far is not delivering anything close to the EPA 47/47 (40.7 on fueleconomy.org).

edit: It took a while, but I found the link: "page 196 of the C-MAX's owners's manual states "Do not measure fuel economy during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers) of driving (this is your engine***8217;s break-in period); a more accurate measurement is obtained after 2000 miles***8211;3000 miles (3200 kilometers***8211;4800 kilometers). Also, fuel expense, frequency of fill-ups or fuel gauge readings are not accurate ways to measure fuel economy.""

http://fordcmaxforum.com/index.php?/topic/424-c-max-fuel-mileage-important-note/

#4 ·
I just hit 2.25k on my sDrive X1. I've been averaging in the last two tanks 29.3mpg according to the computer and 28.9 when calculated by hand This up from about 25-26 for the first 1500 miles or so. This is about 75% highway 25% city more or less.

On a recent trip (all highway) we averaged 33 flat for the entire tank - had to fill about 20miles from our destination.

#6 ·
This is what I've always experienced over the years and perhaps as much as 2,000,000 miles of driving cars and trucks. Diesel engines(CARS AND TRUCKS) take much longer to break in. I know of no difinitive and reliable source for this information that is backed with any scientific evidence and I'm not about to waste my time searching for it simply because I know it to be true based on experience with driving NEWLY purchased vehicles for many years. That's all I've got to say about that.

#8 ·
Well. I've got 4500 on mine and I still seem to be only getting about 26 on what I'd consider 50/50 if not 75/25 mostly highway. Sigh. I also noticed my car seems to have a bit of black smoke coming from the tailpipe. I was going to give it a few weeks and see if it was bad gas or something and then take it in.

#9 ·
Just hit 1K miles and the first 700 I averaged 22.6. This last tank of gas i religiously used Eco Pro Mode and now I'm at 24.7. I do 80% freeway but its in traffic.

It was quite interesting to see the Eco Pro Mode indicator for mileage "bonus range" reading of +3.4mi. Makes me think if it's really doing much...I'll continue using it but that Auto Start Stop in Los Angeles traffic is so annoying. I can't imagine that its good for the engine to restart so many times.

#12 · (Edited)
I should have copy/pasted the manual the time I posted, but will do now

Automatic Engine Start/Stop Function
The Automatic Start/Stop Function of your vehicle automatically switches off the engine during a stop. Additional information on the Automatic Engine Start/Stop Function, refer to page 56.
If the engine is stopped and then started again, fuel consumption and emissions drop compared to an engine that runs permanently. Stopping the engine even for just a few seconds can result in savings.
Use of this system can cause premature wear on certain vehicle components.
In addition, fuel consumption depends on other factors as well, such as driving style, road c.......

It makes perfect sense though, ll that starting up all the time......not using it.

#13 ·
"Certain vehicle components may have premature wear" - well that just makes you think of the starter and flywheel.

But consider this: here in the crematoria known as Houston it gets powerful hot and you're sitting in traffic with the car roasting and it shuts off for a small amount of time.

Then it restarts numerous times while you get to where you are going.. Your engine hasn't seen an oil change in 9500 miles and that super heated cylinder head with cam and actuators just sizzles the oil on top of the engine while it is stopped and there's no oil flow to those components.

Then it restarts.

Yeah, I could see the cam and lifters being one of the "vehicle components" having some premature wear....

#15 · (Edited)
I have 4500 miles on my X1I am getting 27+ MPG driving approx 70% freeway (but in traffic) I use the eco mode almost all the time. BTW, I had my dealer change the Auto stop start to last use mode. They can do that, it is a software change. I just get in and start it and the feature is automatically disabled. Which is the way they should have set it up to begin with.

My average speed is 40 MPH.

#22 ·
Yeah I struggled to break the EPA 28 highway rating on my miata last year but now with 6000 miles on the clock I can easily achieve 32mpg driving on backroads. I just did 29.5 mpg with a mix of roughly 50/50 backroads and high speed highway.

Based on that I'm not going to worry about mileage on my X1 for another 5000 miles. I'm just going to drive it any ol' way I like to and see what it looks like in the winter/spring, when I should have around 6k on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.