BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Photo Comparison: BMW 2 Series vs. Mercedes CLA Sedan

8K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  mvallido 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Just my .02, but does anybody else think the CLA interior looks awfully busy? There's buttons everywhere, and the those dash vents look hideous. Seat adjustments up on the door may appeal to some, but it isn't as though you're constantly adjusting the seats. To me, it looks really cluttered, while the 2 series interior looks elegant and simple.

#5 ·
My $.02 is that for the first time in history (personal opinion!) The Benz looks better. I just find the CLA incredibly sexy and honestly almost bought one. However it doesn't handle and simply can't match any BMW that was around last year. Not sure how the new 2 series is since I haven't had the pleasure of seeing one in person but if it's literally halfway between a 1 and 3 series it shouldn't disappoint. I personally like the busy console of the CLA because I like busy consoles. Honestly though all I ever use is the lights, indicators, wipers, A/C and stereo, everything else I pretty much leave as is and don't touch 9/10.

Both cars really embody their heritage imho, the CLA looks a lot more "upscale" while the BMW looks far more "athletic yet classy". I imagine they act accordingly. Pricewise I would day to say that the CLA 250 overall gives you more "stuff" for your cash but as a FWD with 208HP vs. the 228i a RWD with 240HP the BMW sounds a little more promising.

On the M vs. AMG It appears the AMG has a slightly better engine but also costs you an extra $5k for the base model, and it probably still doesn't handle like a BMW purely because Benz's don't typically go for the same sportiness and rather for a "classy cruise" experience.
The M2 seems to run a little cheaper than the AMG overall once you slap on some extras and of course the maintenance etc seems a little better too. Mileage seems to be pretty much a draw.

If I could choose any of the four (228i, M2, CLA 250 and CLA45 AMG) I would probably have a very hard time making a choice but would ultimately lean towards the BMW because they just drive so much better. How ever in that price range if you really needed a 4-door sedan with some power and sportiness (I feel the CLA is a real milestone for MB in that aspect, though still no match to BMW) the CLA would provide a great alternative if you don't want to range into 3-series territory.

#6 · (Edited)
My $.02 is that for the first time in history (personal opinion!) The Benz looks better. I just find the CLA incredibly sexy and honestly almost bought one. However it doesn't handle and simply can't match any BMW that was around last year. Not sure how the new 2 series is since I haven't had the pleasure of seeing one in person but if it's literally halfway between a 1 and 3 series it shouldn't disappoint. I personally like the busy console of the CLA because I like busy consoles. Honestly though all I ever use is the lights, indicators, wipers, A/C and stereo, everything else I pretty much leave as is and don't touch 9/10.

Both cars really embody their heritage imho, the CLA looks a lot more "upscale" while the BMW looks far more "athletic yet classy". I imagine they act accordingly. Pricewise I would day to say that the CLA 250 overall gives you more "stuff" for your cash but as a FWD with 208HP vs. the 228i a RWD with 240HP the BMW sounds a little more promising.

On the M vs. AMG It appears the AMG has a slightly better engine but also costs you an extra $5k for the base model, and it probably still doesn't handle like a BMW purely because Benz's don't typically go for the same sportiness and rather for a "classy cruise" experience.
The M2 seems to run a little cheaper than the AMG overall once you slap on some extras and of course the maintenance etc seems a little better too. Mileage seems to be pretty much a draw.

If I could choose any of the four (228i, M2, CLA 250 and CLA45 AMG) I would probably have a very hard time making a choice but would ultimately lean towards the BMW because they just drive so much better. How ever in that price range if you really needed a 4-door sedan with some power and sportiness (I feel the CLA is a real milestone for MB in that aspect, though still no match to BMW) the CLA would provide a great alternative if you don't want to range into 3-series territory.
I was pretty disappointment with the engine in the CLA. Just not enough power. They really need a CLA350 to fill in the gap between the 250 and AMG45.

Other than that I really liked the CLA and came close to buying one. Just couldn't get over weak and quiet engine.

#9 ·
I think my wife would like the CLA. My daugther wants my VF5 so bad and would like to sell her C240 so I probably sell the C240 then Upgrade my wife from GS300 to CLA. WIN WIN for the family. My son does not have any complaints with his E90 so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.