BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bluetooth Died...

60K views 92 replies 62 participants last post by  Jaxs1999 
#1 ·
Wierd stuff going with my X3...

Its like the Bluetooth functionality just disappeared. It does not even show "Telephone" as an option anymore on the Nav screen... the phone button on the steering wheel does not do anything. Its like the whole Bluetooth phone integration capability just vanished...

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

#31 ·
I just joined this friggin club

I am on the way to the car to try and "reset" as described here but think that this weak on BMW's part.

The dealer gave me card for wireless4bmw.com. I called them and it looks like an excuse to sell phones. Even if i have an "approved phone" there is no guarantee it will work cause only there phones have the right software on them...so i need to buy it from them etc....

BMW needs to work every angle and cross sell the phones too? Looks like a scam to me or......a "brilliant marketing angle". depends on your perspective I guess grrrrrrrrr

:mad:

#32 ·
Encountered the same problem (Bluetooth dropping out) with a US specification 2006 X3. I am an american living here in BMW land (Germany). Went to the dealer and told him my problem. He hooked my X3 up to the diagnostics; then said (in thick german accent) "Ohhh! dis iz da US vershun". I don't see the bluetooth. He reset it. Still didn't work. He went to the glove compartment; pulled the fuse and reseated it. Voila!! It's working again......Go figure!

#34 ·
So just about exactly one-year ago, I started this thread...

It ended up taking three trips to the dealer and over a month in the time-domain to finally get resolved. Dealer service advisor tried to blame it on the corporate consolidation happening among the cellular providers,(AT&T-Cingular, Nextel-Sprint :rolleyes:)...before finally fixing - WTF.

Well... it just happened again!!! Bluetooth is gone... :yikes:

:banghead:

#35 ·
Depending on your build date, there were a number of service bulletins regarding the ULF in the X3's (and a number of other models). Some were just reprogramming fixes (something to do with an identification number of the unit being duplicated with another unit), and another where there were actually faulty harware units. I had the latter, and it affected 2006 X3's with build dates up to late April 06.

In any case, the first 3 times in the shop with dead BT, the dealer unplugged/replugged the unit and sent me on my way. Only problem was that this is exactly what the SB tells you to do to identify a faulty unit -- if BT is "missing" and unplugging/replugging makes it "re-appear", then the SB states the unit is faulty and should be replaced. After finally showing the SB to the dealer, they replaced the unit with another one.

Is it fixed for good now? :dunno: Hard to say... it tended to die every 3-6mos and I've only had the new ULF in for a month. Only time will tell...

#36 ·
They figured out why the bluetooth died again, and perhaps this is the reason why this problem seems to plague so many X3s.

Turns out it was a drainage issue, water was not draining properly from the chasis and instead was accumulating where the TCU sits in the back and thus shorting out the TCU.

Both times the Bluetooth died was after really bad thunderstorms, I thought it was a coincedence but seems it was directly related...

Anyway, they solved the drainage issue and replaced the TCU all is good now. :)

#39 ·
It works and the bluetooth is working now, save me a long trip to the dealer.
so far my X3 is running great without any problem except this bluetooth,
I had 13K on it and its giving me 18.7 MPG 50/50 driving.
Great SUV to drive, great Breaks and amazing road handling.

#40 ·
Given that you have an '06 like me, and if you "fixed" your BT by unplugging and replugging the module, you may have a faulty module -- see a few posts above. There was a short range of 2006 build dates (up to the end of April 2006) that have potentially faulty modules.

By all means keep unplugging to get BT working in the meantime, but you may want to log at least one of the times with your dealer - so that the module can be replaced with one that won't shut down on you.

#41 ·
Newer Palm Treos don't work

I have an 07 X3 and my Motorola V3xx worked flawlessly with the BT. However, once I switched to a Palm Treo 680, the in-car BT barely functioned.

After lots of research, it turns out that the Bluetooth module in the newer Treos (any newer than a 650) have serious BT connection issues. There are numerous complaints about the BT not working with various cars and even many standard BT headsets.

So, I switched back to a Treo 650, which works fine. Apparently the Bluetooth stack in the 680 and newer series uses BT ver 1.2, while the 650 uses ver 1.1 and 1.1 seems to be more compatible with the BMW.

#42 ·
When I first read this thread I figured sooner or later I would be admitted to the very exclusive 'Bluetooth Club.'

And indeed, I was so 'honored' a couple days ago when it inexplicably stopped working.

A big thanks to everyone that posted here on their issue and resolution. I removed the BT module's power supply, counted to the proverbial 10, plugged back in, and all is well again after repairing my mobile phone.

Special thanks to X3eme for those great pictures!

Annoying, but not so much now that I don't have to make a dealer visit.
These forums are the best, and the forums are the people so that's you.

Obliged.

#43 ·
This forum and you guys rock! I also had the bluetooth die on my 2006 CPO. I followed these most excellent directions (thank you especially for the pictures!!) and now I am up and running with bluetooth!

Of course, it shouldn't have "died" in the first place and I hope I don't have to do this reset often, but I am thankful for this forum to keep me from running to the dealer or just "dealing with it".

Cheers.

#44 ·
This thread just probably saved me a couple of hundred dollars -- at the minimum -- thanks once again for posting it. I picked up a CPO 2006 X3 3.0i a few months ago, and asked the salesman about pairing my Blackberry with it. He looked at it (a new 8900) and stated that it wasn't on the "approved list" and that I risked frying the module and voiding the warranty on this part of the car. Like others in this thread, I've been in IT for a *long* time, and I've been using bluetooth practically since its inception. I have NEVER heard of any kind of BT "incompatibility" that allows one BT device to "fry" another, causing so much damage that it would voice a warranty. This is ludicrous.

Anyway -- the day I took the car home, the salesman - after delivering his warning - put the car in pairing mode, and I easily paired my 8900 with it. Oddly enough, my entire phone book transferred over to the X3, and I can SEE each and every entry on the radio display by scrolling up/down through the list with the arrow buttons on my steering wheel. But this version of the ULF apparently won't accept voice name dialing based on downloaded entries -- I have to record a voice tag for each item I want it to be able to dial by voice command. A pity, but this has worked since day one. Additionally, hands free calling and call answer work perfectly, temporarily interrupting whatever music I'm listening to when the call comes in. I can even pick up my Blackberry 8900, hit the voice dial key and initiate the voice dialing that way -- and once the remote phone starts to ring the audio is transferred via BT to the car, making a perfect speakerphone. All in all - pretty nice.

So -- after about 3 months of flawless operation, I got in the car today and BT wouldn't respond at all. I could hold the "face button" (the one that initiates a voice command, or repeats the last dialled number if I touch it briefly), and NOTHING would happen. I tried the pairing procedure, etc -- and the car acted as if BT had never been installed. I freaked a bit, worrying that I had, in fact, somehow "fried" the unit and they'd try to nail me for $700 to "fix" it.

Happily, I found this thread, went back to the car and unplugged the BT unit for 5 seconds, reconnected it, et voila - it worked again! All is back where it was 3 months ago. Thanks again to all who posted and contributed to this thread. Just saved me quite a bit of grief, time and money.

- Jon

#46 ·
thank you guys for this thread.
I just got back my new car - old X ( 2006 ). and one of the features that didn't work is pairing with the phone ( i have "approved" %) BB Pearl).
Tech said that "it won't work, it locks up the system and it only works with non-PDA phones and IPhone"....
it's 2009 and the sh%% still not fixed?????

#47 ·
I agree fully with some of the posters here. Bluetooth is bluetooth and the compatibily list should only be for the eject box. That said there are two types of bluetooth units: TCU and ULF. From what I understand the TCU is similar to the ULF but has voice recognition disabled. The ULF has 13 generations with the part number determining the generation. I replaced the BMW assist module in my 2004 X3 with the latest ULF and added a paring button. Mine and my wife's phones are HTC's (Touch Pro, PPC6800) that are not on the compatibility list and have worked flawlessly for 5 months now. I think the problems are defective ULF (TCU) units and for some cases the only solution is replacement.

#48 ·
I am seeing the same drainage issue. Where/what is the CAUSE of the problem? How was it fixed?

#51 · (Edited)
First, I'm still looking to understand the cause of the water leaks others have experienced... (Update - it was the moonroof drain holes)

I do have some info for anyone wanting to know how to unplug the connector:

1. Locate the black connector with white lever on the unit. See photos in post above.
2. There is a small black button that locks the white lever in place. press it down
3. Slide the white lever from left to right which will unplug the big black connector!

#52 ·
Frustrating! I bought my 2006 CPO X3 3.0i in the beginning of April, and bluetooth worked fine, pairing with my Blackberry 8900 with ease. As I posted back on June 17th, I ran into the "bluetooth died" issue, discovered this thread, unplugged/replugged the battery, and all was good again -- until this morning. Dead again, and it's only been 2 weeks. I'll try the battery disconnect again in the morning, but this is silly -- only 2 weeks since the last fix! Assuming the fix works again in the morning, I sure hope I won't be dealing with this on a regular 2 week interval.

Next I'll have to see if my CPO warranty will cover replacement of the bluetooth module (I have BMW Assist also). Want to be sure I don't say anything wrong when I bring it in, and have them tell me, "Oh! You used a non-approved phone and THAT is what destroyed the BT module! Now YOU have to pay." --- so, I guess the first thing to do would be to tell them I only use it with one of the approved phones (and I'll hide my 8900, although there's NO way this is causing the periodic BT failure). Then the question would be: do I let them know that I know about, and have used, the battery unplugging trick? Or would they decide that this voided warranty coverage of that part?

Frustrating -- I just want this to work!

- Jon

#53 ·
My unit has died on me twice. Not so much died as phone calls were impossible to understand and constant disconnects. My dealership replaced the module twice under warranty. No questions asked. After the repair, one of the service guys re-linked my phone to make sure it was working properly. Each time with a different phone but both were blue tooth capable. Your phone has nothing to do with the Telephone Module breaking down. This has been a problem for a while I was told. If it goes down again I think I'll demand a new car and scream "Lemon Law"!

#54 ·
Good to hear. I have no problem re: "approved phone", as I can simply use one of the approved phones (I have all my old cell phones, and I'm pretty sure at least a couple are on the list). I've read, though, that when the BT stops working and you bring it in for service, they'll simply start with the unplug/replug fix and give it back to you. I have a feeling I'll have to waste the time having them do this a couple of times over several weeks/months before they acknowledge the unit is dead - and I hate to waste the time. That's why I was wondering if it's safe for me to say that *I* already tried the unplug routine (probably not, if I want to keep it under warranty - I suspect I'm not officially supposed to touch this...?).

#56 ·
The unplug/plug fix worked just fine once again this morning, and the car and my Blackberry converse happily once again. But, as I mentioned yesterday, it's been only a couple of weeks since the last time I had to do this. Hopefully this won't become a semi-monthly routine. If so, it's definitely back to BMW for a warranty service call...

#57 ·
wanted to contribute to this thread, since you guys helped me -
I foolishly updated to the latest "And greatest " version of TMobile. I have 8100 BB pearl.
That killed pairing with x3.

The fix:
get the OS version for AT&T which is 4.5. smth. (latest at the ime of writing) and ( after backup of your unit ;) ) put it on the unit. now it's working almost correctly.

#59 ·
The same thing happened to me. After 7 months, the telephone function just disappeared from the computer menu.

Is there a way to reset, before I trudge down to the dealer?
in the back of the trunk, left side, the module can be unplugged for 5 minutes and then plugged back in. that will sometimes reset it.

#60 ·
For everyone using the unplug/re-plug method to reset their BT, remember that there is a SIB for faulty BT hardware (mentioned earlier in this thread) for cars with specific build dates up to April 06. The "diagnosis" for the dealership to determine whether your hardware is faulty (and thus replaceable under warranty) is to basically unplug/replug the module -- if this "fixes" the fault then the module is faulty and they will replace under warranty. If you reset the module before bringing it into the dealer, then there will be no way for them to establish the module is affected and offer you the replacement.

If you still have warranty, I'd recomment you not do the DIY fix and get the unit replaced while it's still covered.

I had this issue a couple of years ago, and finally had the module replaced (my dealer wasn't aware of the SIB until I brought it in -- Canada doesn't share the same SIB database, apparently). Before the replacement, the module would fail every 3-6 mos -- the new module has been flawless since.:thumbup:

Pierre
2008 550i m-sport
2006 X3 2.5

#61 ·
The bigger issue here is if you aren't using an 'approved phone' the dealer will claim that the phone broke the BT module and therefore WON'T cover it at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.