BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bluetooth Died...

60K views 92 replies 62 participants last post by  Jaxs1999 
#1 ·
Wierd stuff going with my X3...

Its like the Bluetooth functionality just disappeared. It does not even show "Telephone" as an option anymore on the Nav screen... the phone button on the steering wheel does not do anything. Its like the whole Bluetooth phone integration capability just vanished...

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

#4 ·
sponge_worthy said:

Its like the Bluetooth functionality just disappeared. It does not even show "Telephone" as an option anymore on the Nav screen... the phone button on the steering wheel does not do anything. Its like the whole Bluetooth phone integration capability just vanished...

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I'm sorry to read about this problem with the Bluetooth operation in your X3. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200620102600 so that we can help you more efficiently.

#45 ·
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I'm sorry to read about this problem with the Bluetooth operation in your X3. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200620102600 so that we can help you more efficiently.
So, i just picked up a 2005 545i with 49K miles. On my way home, I tried to pair my iPhone and couldn't find the bluetooth option. So, I took it into my local BMW dealership and they charged me $230 to do a software update, but the bluetooth module still isn't working. The warranty ran out on this car in March and aaparently the prior owner didn't use the bluetooth. The dealership (dreyer & Reinbold) is telling me it is going to be a VERY expensive fix. Can you help me... please?

#5 ·
i have the same problems... 2 of the same phones...one works the other doesnt... you can't hear anything through the speakers...what could this be? the phone book is seen and i can dial from the steering wheel....by the way my phone is the palm treo 700p for verizon if that can help

Reactions: fourexphil
#7 ·
I had the same problem. My Bluetooth worked for almost six weeks and then it just suddenly stopped. I found out my phone was not BMW compatible and it blew the fuse. When that happens you do not only have your phone you do not have SOS. That scared me. I now have an approved phone and all is well. I love my X3 and the Bluetooth was one of the main reasons for the lease. My only problem, I have a lead foot and I have to watch it. I now have a Motorola Razor. My dealer worked with my phone service to get me out of the contract and get the approved phone. Kudos to BMW.

#8 ·
My phone disappeared last week. Dealer has ordered a new computer. "Knows of the problem." The computer has a name, but I don't recall it. Then today, the car was completely dead. No power anywhere. Was flat-bedded to the dealer. Hope this isn't a sign a things to come.

#9 ·
Same problem this week (no nav in mine though)

YES, I had the same thing happen this week. All of a sudden the "phonebook" button stopped working.

I have the Motorola e815 phone.

I'm def going to be calling the BMW phone number in this thread - got to get my bluetooth back!

#12 ·
Blue tooth abd BlackBerry

?I have a Nextel/BlackBerry 7520 (with the latest OS 4.0.1) and the BB pairs fine with my X3 I can make calls using the BB, however I can not download the address book or use the steering wheel buttons to initiate a call.

Any idea as to how I can get the address book to download to the X3

#13 ·
Well, I am finally a member of the Bluetooth Died club! Lost the PHONE line on the Nav system, my steering wheel buttons don't work, and I have to answer the phone regular style now. Has anyone had a dead Bluetooth magically start working again, or do I actually have to take it in?

#14 ·
It happened to me about 6 months into ownership. I did take it in and the service guy said he disconnected the battery and reconnected it and everything resumed to normal. Then, in usual "it's really your fault" fashion, he said my Motorola phone wasn't on the supported list for the Motorolla bluetooth module. Whatever. It's worked fine ever since (approaching two years now, same car, same phone).

#15 ·
#16 ·
My bluetooth has stopped working on two ocassions but since my phone is not on the approved list I guess that's the reason. This last time I just went to the back of the car, removed the left cover and disconnected the plug to the unit for at least ten seconds. When I started the car again I had my bluetooth back! I have a Sony Ericsson 910a (smartphone) that is not on the list so I can only use it as a headset but that's good enough for me! Next time I switch phones I'll take a look at the list to make sure is one of the approved ones.

Happy Thanksgiving!!:thumbup:

#17 ·
Am I the only one who thinks it's outrageous that there even is a list of "approved" phones? I don't care if bmw approves my phone, bluetooth is bluetooth, isn't it?

#18 ·
I'd agree. I think its just an excuse by BMW to try to place the blame onto something else. They don't want to admit that their electronics are inferior and poorly designed. I've never had so many electronic failures in a car i've owned so far. It takes away from the great driving experience of a BMW.

#19 ·
T-Mobile Dash

I agree with both of you. It seems the hands-free aspect should work for any bluetooth enabled phone. Just as any headset does. I've never purchased a headset that had a list of "approved" phones it would work with. Now the phonebook feature.. that I could see not working with all models, since each one may work differently. But wouldn't you think every Motorola phone would be compatible with a Motorola bluetooth module???

Has anyone successfully used a T-Mobile Dash with their X3 bluetooth module? I am considering getting one and don't see it on the "approved" list.

#23 ·
Just heard back from the dealer. Got 2 answers: 1st - it might be your phone, especially if its not on the "approved" list. Told them it was on the list although this should not matter since everything associated with the phone option disappeared from the car. I can't imagine the phone caused that to happen. 2nd answer - the bluetooth module needs to be replaced. So that is where its at. I'm waiting for a new module. Nice to know the first one lasted a full 4 months!

#22 ·
My bluetooth died, R/T stopped working, phone option disappeared too, few weeks ago. I checked the fuses (there are two of them), both were ok. Went to a dealer, before the appointment right at dealership I checked the fuses again, just in case, switched their places (both were 5mA), started the car and bluetooth was back.

#25 ·
can someone explain how to "unplug" the module? i joined the club tonight.
kevin

#26 ·
Me too

New to the "BMW's Owners circle"

I work in I.T., and I have never heard of such nonsense that BMW is throwing at us. I am the proud owner if an '06 330CIC, and the BT worked FLAWLESSLY for the first 8 weeks of ownership, meaning that the phonebooks loaded, and never dropped a call or had any kind of "static". Neither of my phones are on the "approved" list, but BT is BT, isn't it? Last week, it just stopped working, no warning. Got in the car and nothing. What i found most odd was that BOTH phones were able to see the BMW, but were not allowed to connect. Actually seemed that the passkey had changed. Brought back to the stealership, and they tried to tell me that the phone broke the BT module. I just started to laugh, i couldn't help it. I told him it's wireless technology, how the hell could the phone break the module? Anyway, he stuck by his answer and now it's been 3 days waiting for a new module.

Anyone, please, if the service dept was correct in thier answer, please tell me so I can research this further, and possibly give them an apology.

-Jeff

#27 ·
It's a crock of BMW sh1t. I have several bluetooth devices at home (laptop, pda, cell phones) and none of them have a "prefered list of devices" that are compatible. They communicate with each other flawlessly. Never broke down even once.

3 months after i got my X3 the bluetooth stopped working completely and I have a phone from the BMW bullsh1t list of preferred phones but the first thing that came out of the technicians mouth was that your phone is probably not approved, i.e on the list. I showed him otherwise. The whole bluetooth module needed to be replaced (took 2 weeks because there was a back-log on the modules) so their reasoning with you is a hoax. It is quite frustrating as a consumer because there is no logic to this reasoning from the dealers.

You may want to search through the forums but I believe their might be some sort of a factory defect/recall on the bluetooth modules. This bluetooth issue is not an uncommon problem.

#30 ·
WOOHOO! Thanks X3eme!! that worked. I just unplugged it, waited ten seconds and plugged it back it and it is fine now! woohoo!

kev

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.