BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Help!! My 2003 745i Wont Start.

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  KingAlex 
#1 · (Edited)
One morning i heard a clicking noise under the hood but it went away after a couple minutes. Later that day on my way from work it did the same thing, this time when i got home it was louder :cry: When i turned the car off i try'd to crank it again and it only got weaker and weaker, and then it died. I also smelled a burning smell under the hood when it died. Now when i try to start i can only hear a clicking noise under the hood.:tsk: Could the motor be locked or the starter? No codes popped up or warnings?!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Pop off the main belt and make sure you can still spin all the pulleys by hand. A few of us have had our alternators seize up (mine has) or come close. Regardless, you'll likely find something acting a little funny, and if not, try to start it with no belts on. If it starts while being jumped, but not without, then you have a dying battery. If if does not start while being jumped with the belt off, then you have a bad starter (fairly unlikely). If it starts just fine without the belt on and without being jumped, then it's being dragged down by something that the belt wraps around. Hope this helps!

#6 ·
The noise before the car died? I'd suspect the alternator bearings going out, especially if it was more of a dull knock than a high ticking sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.