BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

"Tip-In" and "Initial Acceleration" problems fixed

111K views 444 replies 107 participants last post by  chims 
#1 ·
I have several updates to provide everyone after picking up my 2011 535i Dec 2010 build back yesterday from local NC BMW dealer. the first is the well publicized "tip in" or "initial acceleration" issue. i was expeceriing the same as many others where if you are a c complete stop and you go to accelerate the car doesnt respond right away and you naturally apply more gas and then the car jumps ahead of you. but if you were to move to the D/S position, the car was perfect and you didnt experience any lag in acceleration...it was almost like the car was set to start off in 2nd gear vs 1st

well i am happy to report the sw patch applied has completely corrected the issue...now this is a tricky one as your local BMW will not have this sw at their site. My SA luckily had heard of this issue and had to escalate to BMW-NA to obtain the fix. according to SA, BMW-NA are the only ones that can remote into car and apply the fix....

notes from my paperwork show the following: "DME Software Calibration SIB 12 09 11, attempted to program but CID failed to program. Completed battery reset and switched ICOM's, CID failed' Submitted PUMA CASE #xxxx Completed I-RAP programming session"

Software fix took almost two days to apply but happy to report that it has completely fixed the issue and the acceleration has returned!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
That's good to hear, but it's kind of sad that you and the dealership have to go through that much trouble to fix something so basic. It's 2011. You kind of expect a car, even a $12,000 Hyundai, to accelerate smoothly when you step on the gas.

Hopefully, it's not just a temporary fix. Let us know if the problem comes back.

#3 ·
My dealer also looked up the necessary SW fix and informed me that it would take 5-6 hours to perform the work. I'm quite surprised that it took 2 days. That would certainly not meet my expectations. I also am experiencing the acceleration lag and plan to bring the bimmer in, but will be pissed if it takes 2 days. Dealer is 110 miles from home and it would require an overnight stay.

#4 ·
It takes a long, long time to load the software. 5-6 hours is typical. And if it doesn't "take" or something interrupts it, well, you have to try again.

#5 ·
wow that really sucks...yea mine took 2 days as i had several software patches applied...i had the tip in issue which was one sw patch, i had the pull to right issue which was another patch, my car was still set in "transport mode" from shipping which was causing my "service due" for an oil change to read due in 4,900 miles when i only have 1,500 on a brand new car..plus a state of NC inspection...according to SA, the software load was a day and a half since one of the updates required BMW-NA to perform

#6 ·
Im confused. Is it sib 12 9 11 or another program ? I complained to my dealer about the same issue, they programmed the car with Sib 12 9 11 and so far it is 90% better. Jerkiness is gone. Still some slight throttle tip in issues though. If there is a more recent update i will call them back to install that software version. I was actually going to post about sib 12 9 11 but i wanted to wait a a few weeks to make sure that the problem did not return. So far I a m much happier. Even my wife noticed it.

#7 ·
acorrding to my paperwork, it is the SIB 12 09 11 but my car failed to take it several times and they switched "ICOM's"?? ( i have no clue what that is) then my SA escalated to BMW-NA and submitted a "PUMA Case" (assuming that is BMW's internal definition of an escalated trouble ticket). BMW-NA then had to remotely connect to my car while connected online at the local BMW dealer to perform the update. Again according to my SA, this update is only available through BMW-NA and not the local dealer. for some reason the local dealer can only update to a certain software revision and anything above that requires BMW-NA to perform the work...i know how strange it sounds but that is what is printed on my paperwork and exactly what my SA told me several times..after 2 days, the car is 100% better and reacts totally different than before

#9 ·
Hmmm, interesting. I complained about this and they did an overall software load and hoped to fix it that way. However, it's still there, even after resetting all the adaptive parameters. Next service, I will have them look at this.

#12 ·
yea let me know, like i said, my SA said that only BMW-NA can install this software fix, NOT the local dealer, so if they are just reapplying the software fix that they have, it will not work..apparently BMW-NA is the gatekeeper if you will of this sw and they are the only ones that will install it....

#10 ·
So do you suppose its safe to assume BMW NA is auto-updating (or just installing in the first place) the SW version that eliminates this problem? I noticed this in two of the three cars I test drove and I just about turned me off buying....but I'm crossing my fingers that the car I ordered comes with the most recent updates already installed.

#11 ·
Imothph...well i hope so, if you just ordered one, i would "assume" that BMW is installing the latest SW the first time around. but you know how that goes....at least i can say that it is 100% fixed and is a different car now...

#15 ·
UNCtarheels: Does this include a fix for the hesitation when coasting down to say, between 30 and 20 and you step on it and for about 2 seconds it does nothing until it decides to down-shift and go like hell?

#20 ·
yes it fixed it for me and while at a stop

#16 ·
Is this issue strictly related to the turbo engines, or could this also be applicable to the naturally aspirated engine as well. Mine (528i) also seems to lag a bit on initial acceleration. It seems a tad lazy starting from a stop. In sport mode, however, there is no lag or laziness whatsoever. Just wondering if it's something that needs to be adressed on my particular model. :dunno:

#17 ·
. Mine (528i) also seems to lag a bit on initial acceleration. It seems a tad lazy starting from a stop. In sport mode, however, there is no lag or laziness whatsoever. . :dunno:
I am a bit surprised that non-turbo engine has the same lag. Look like this is a new feature that we all need to train our feet to get used to it.

#22 ·
Thanks - this is really great information and I've already passed this to my SA. I will hear something this week.

#34 ·
A 2005 545i would not have this problem or, if it does, this s/ware fix would not be applicable.

#25 ·
I am gonna take my car in this week. Will dealer know what I'm talking about? Guessing no.

#26 ·
Mine didn't - so I sent UNCtarheels' post over to him in an email.

#27 ·
I do not understand when you say they did not know what you were talking about. Just show them the TSB attachment here;
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/attachments/B060411_Slides.pdf
The SIB matches as well. If they still play the ignorant, then you know you should change your service place, because this is well advertised to all the service spots, and there is no excuse for them not to know about it (since April that is).

#29 ·
Thanks UNCTarheels for sharing this... I've owned my BMW for all of a couple weeks, and am experiencing this problem, which i don't recall experiencing at all during the test drive. wasn't able to see if you mention the name of your dealership... who at least got BMW NA involved to resolve for you. please share if you're comfortable so those of us having the same issue, can mention (your) the dealership involved in your situation, as a timesaver. thanks again! (also, when you reference BMW NA (North America), are you referring to a resource, ie. bmw assist or phone support group?

#31 ·
hey guys!! i dont mind at all...my service dealer is actually Schaeffer BMW in Wilmington NC. My SA at BMW Wilmington contacted BMW NA directly, I didnt do anything. Hope this helps

#30 ·
sorry everyone for the late post, i have been extremely busy with business travel...i have added around 500 additional miles since the sw update and absolutely love the new "responsivness". my wife even commented on it yesterday that she definitly notices a difference and really loves this car. The only real thing i have noticed different with the car is that the MPG computer is extremely sensative now...well before if i idled in the garage/parking lot, the MPG estimate wouldn't decrease at a noticable amount....now, if i idle the MGP display will actually run all the way down to 4-5 average on MPG...it is really strange...but if i dont reset the MPG, everything is fine and i am still getting 25+ city and 35 on highway. So it is still accurate but just very sensative, i know that sounds crazy and picky, but just trying to provide honest feedback!

#32 ·
UNCtarheels, Thanks for posting the sib number that took care of this problem. My SM knew nothing about the problem but after giving him the number he found that they had it and re-programmed mine with the fix. Haven't had the chance to test it thoroughly yet but now there's a bubble on a tire and the dealer/tire place are pointing fingers as to who is going to fix it through GY. But anyway at least he listened about the shift problem and took care of it. Thanks again for posting the fix bulletin number:thumbup:

#33 ·
My SA claimed that they did it too. Not too many miles since but the 2 second wait for the downshift and go, when starting from a coast-down at 30-20mph is still there. Was yours the same just after or was it immediately fixed?

#35 ·
The wait before thumping/slamming into gear and then moving is definitely gone. But have not checked the slow roll on yet. Not sure how far to drive with the bubbles and planning on staying off the highway until new shoes are on the baby.

#40 ·
Got mine back Yesterday. They did the upload twice, first time failed.

I have not really noticed a difference in the day i have had it back. The dealar i took it too ( not the one I purchased it from) had no clue.

I had to tell them what to to look up for the service bulletin info. To be fair this dealer pretty much only sells 528i models they just got their first 535i on order the day mine was in for service. So they have not had much hands on with the Turbo model. The SA did mention they noticed the acceleration issue on the model they just got in..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.