BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Nav really sucks

15K views 99 replies 41 participants last post by  ND40oz 
#1 ·
Begin rant......From day one on the way back from Spartanburg I knew found BMW nav to be inferior to every other I have used. Even ten year old units. Latest example - a familiar route from Burlington Vermont to Portland Maine. I punched it in to see about what time i'd land and came up with a ridiculous eta. Zoomed out and saw it was routing me via one of the Boston beltways, I-495. Completely missed the shortest route across New Hampshire via limited access highways and tried to put me through a heavy traffic route. As soon as I turned onto the correct highway the eta dropped an hour. (Note I checked setting and was on fastest route).

So I bring it up to my SA pretty emphatically as this is not the first, second or tenth time. Once I dialed in hotel address and ended up in rural gravel pits. Call the hotel and the desk clerk says "oh, you must have a BMW"! Of course there is nothing SA can do to fix but then she says the process is for me to make a detailed report of each incident and send it to the map software company! Like they are going to fix all the issues by a suggestion box approach. End of rant.

Like some of you mentioned on prior threads I now use a cheap, old Garmin when going into uncharted territory. It works almost flawlessly.

As a road warrior a good nav is important enough to me that I will pay closer attention to the underlying software next time I go car shopping. This setup of an old garmin on the dash is a joke. BMW ought to do a goodwill software upgrade.

Okay, this is really the end of the rant. :tsk:

See less See more
#3 ·
Once I dialed in hotel address and ended up in rural gravel pits. Call the hotel and the desk clerk says "oh, you must have a BMW"! Of course there is nothing SA can do to fix but then she says the process is for me to make a detailed report of each incident and send it to the map software company! Like they are going to fix all the issues by a suggestion box approach. End of rant.

Like some of you mentioned on prior threads I now use a cheap, old Garmin when going into uncharted territory. It works almost flawlessly.
Once I had the BMW Nav direct me to the HD Museum in Milwaukee. It took me to a dead-end parking lot on the wrong side of the river, across from the museum. I guess it thought the X5 could swim!

#6 · (Edited)
That's the "amazing" BMW navigation for you... Overpriced, with expensive and rare map updates (compared to Garmin's lifetime map updates which can be legally bought for a single payment of $40 and are released at least 4 times/year) and using an inferior TeleAtlas/TomTom's map database (as well as routing algorithms) ;) Only good for 2 things: free traffic updates which are not based on ****ty SiriusXM's services and the ability to send addresses using Google Maps directly from your PC/Mac. For everything else it works worse than my 3-year-old Garmin unit :p

#7 ·
100% Agree.

HOWEVER, I've been using the BMW nav in Germany for a few trips and it is really very, very good. I believe the issue is the underlying map data is inferior, or at least not adequate for flawless routing.

Having said that, for 3 years I've been told to dutifully 'report' these defects so they can fix them. What a joke.

#15 · (Edited)
100% Agree.

HOWEVER, I've been using the BMW nav in Germany for a few trips and it is really very, very good. I believe the issue is the underlying map data is inferior, or at least not adequate for flawless routing.

Having said that, for 3 years I've been told to dutifully 'report' these defects so they can fix them. What a joke.
I've reported four problems over the last 4 years. All of them have been fixed. Maybe the process does work...

EDIT: Wait, wasn't there a change in Nav provider in the last 4 years? Maybe that's the reason the fixes got in.

#9 ·
The MAP data on the BMW's "can" suck but as with ALL navi's, it depends on the quality of hte info the database is built off of. What I find "unforgivable" is the CRAPY "logic" of whomever created the user interface. I had thought the one on my '06 750Li could not have gotten any worse... I was VERY wrong.

On most systems you can simply enter the NAME of the location you want to go to. Nah, nah on this one

#10 · (Edited)
The MAP data on the BMW's "can" suck but as with ALL navi's, it depends on the quality of hte info the database is built off of. What I find "unforgivable" is the CRAPY "logic" of whomever created the user interface. I had thought the one on my '06 750Li could not have gotten any worse... I was VERY wrong.

On most systems you can simply enter the NAME of the location you want to go to. Nah, nah on this one. Want to find the closest McDonald's? Jus tput in McDonald's, right? WRONG!

You have to first find restaurant & guess what... YEP, there are TWO different ways to search for restaurant and to make is WORSE, one allows you to enter a name...eventually while the other doesn't allow that option. ARGH!

It's like someone @ BMW gave a 1st year college student year a software program and told them "go for it"... Shesh! Acura's touch screen & voice control were SOOOO much BETTER! If I wanted to dial someone on that system, I simply said "dial John" and it would actually DIAL JOHN. In sharp contrast this systems REQUIRES you to FIRST be in the right window and then you have to say a specific archaic phrase that nobody would actually use in "normal conversation"...CHOOSE NAME... if you just "happen" to have the Navi screen up when you say this, you will undoubtedly get a response like "no site location..." Even once you DO get to the phone book and then say choose name, you HAVE to say it backwards as in "Doe, John" rather than the logical "John Doe" or simply saying John and the computer being smart enough to say something like "I have 26 John's in my directory, last name please.."

#11 ·
I tend to agree that the BMW installed nav software isn't up to par. Although the fit and finish leaves it with no comparison. I get frustrated using the portable garmin in the convertible, which was built long before personal GPS units became available. What frustrates me about BMW nav is the route preference settings. You have to remember to use this for each trip. It matters. In NYC for example, you are going to get in trouble if you don't keep it on highway settings. I also can't figure out how to get the 3D building graphics in my new 2012. The 2008 had this feature and it was really handy in the city. You actually could see where you were going. I now use my navigon app in my Iphone more. Now that is really a good alternative if you haven't tried it. The app was expensive. But it's accuracy is very good. But, the drawback is data usage. If you don't have an unlimited wireless data plan, you are in trouble. It does have backup maps downloaded to phone to help you out if you don't have good wireless reception the entire route. But there is a trade off. It's odd, though. For such an expensive car, BMW has left this option off the best of the best, list. Oh, I have a rank about SIRUS. If you even decide to drop them, or swap cars before your contract expires, good luck with getting them to drop you. BMW could sort this out with their relationship with them, but they ignore this too.

#13 ·
Fair point. I'd prefer to stay loyal to the bmw marque but poor nav is a relationship tester.

Wife's 3 is about ready for retirement. I WILL give Audi another chance then, based on this nav experience. Def rooting for BMW to be making the right moves.

#16 ·
People buy the brand for a number of reasons, but fixing some nits like this would make it a better experience. Moved from 535i to X5 recently and miss some of the extra storage options I had on the 535i. For example, they tucked an extra (small) storage tray in the dash just left of the steering wheel on the 5 series. It was my favorite spot for sunglasses or the ezpass. Really wish I had that in the X5. I'm not going to drop the brand for a few simple things like this, but it would sure be nice to have some of these features. A better Nav user experience is also up there for me.

#17 ·
I have heard of this 5 series pocket before. Is it something us X5 guys could put on the dash in the same place or somewhere close? I always have my sunglasses slide off onto the floor when merging in cloverleaf highways. Frustrating especially when the iPhone tray is taking up useless room in the center console, I've thought about cutting it out!

I always send the address to my Nav from BMW apps from my phone in the driver's seat rather than using iDrive. Living close to the border of two states I always have to change the state THEN search for the street etc. Way too cumbersome but I did not buy it for the Nav.

#20 ·
So far the best navi I have had is in my Honda. I have never had any problem and it has always been the best. Hope BMW can tie up with their map company. I just got my x5 and was driving from New York to Virginia. I take 78 to us15 to get to northern part of Virginia it's a little longer route but I save a bunch on tolls average saving is $70 return and only 30 minutes longer which I cover as there is no traffic. This time BMW navi gave me an option taking me from 78. I was under the impression it will take me the same route I go but instead it took me on 78 and then thru local roads in PA put me on 95s Philly then back to the toll road on 95s Delaware. It's takes 2 hrs if you drive starlight to Delaware but this took me 3 1/2 hrs. I as so mad but my ride was comfortable that's what made me happy :)) I still love my X5 and will always.

#22 ·
They really should just give their current map db provider the boot. With the rise of the connected car experience, just use google maps, and some telemetry provider. Or just use garmin as the navigation provider. Problem solved. I don`t need my GPS to render 3d buildings when it takes me around the world with its directions, when the destination can be reached by going straight four blocks. Yes would i love to have 3d rendering. But the primary function of the GPS is still to navigate easily. Plus, improve the voice command feature, while your at it. Buddies 300 has wicked fast processing, and prompts. Does it look like product made by fisher price....yes. Does it work beautifully....yes.

End Rant!

#24 ·
Not sure if it's been mentioned because I didn't read the whole thread but you can switch the route preference between "fast route" "short route" and "efficient route" Try toggling between them and see if it gets the route you were expecting.

I haven't had a single problem with the BMW navigation.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

#27 ·
Not sure if it's been mentioned because I didn't read the whole thread but you can switch the route preference between "fast route" "short route" and "efficient route" Try toggling between them and see if it gets the route you were expecting...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App
Tried that and it still wanted to take me on a detour through Dallas!

#26 ·
BMW nav added about an hour to the ETA for my trip from Little Rock to Houston. When I zoomed out, I saw that it wanted me to go through Dallas!!! For those who aren't familiar with the area, that's a HUGE unnecessary detour... Anyway, I thankfully had my good 5 year-old Garmin Nuvi on hand so just for the heck of it, I had both systems going simultaneously for comparison. This very quickly highlighted another very serious shortcoming of the BMW nav; when zoomed in enough, the Garmin had every street name clearly displayed. Fully zoomed in, the BMW nav had only very few street names shown. And in some instances, even the names of streets of most interest like the one the car was currently on or upcoming intersecting roads were not shown! Seriously BMW, seriously?!!!

#28 ·
Yes, the navigation wasn't very good. Last time I planned a trip from Pittsburgh to Killington, it routed me through Canada, including some 300 miles of state roads instead of the interstate. On the plus side it was fun going 100MPH+ on miles and miles of state roads with no cops or speed limit signs.

#33 ·
.... Few years ago we did not even have GPS so keep driving your BMW and enjoy what's there :)
True but back then you were not charged hundreds of dollars extra for it either... If BMW is willing to include navigation as a standard feature without charging a penny for it, then we wouldn't be complaining.

#35 ·
I can't agree fast enough! The BMW system's stink. Interface stinks, data stinks, and routing logic stinks. And oh, it's the most expensive freaking thing (including the updates!).

It's amazing, I was recently in Vermont trying to get to a ski area I hadn't been to before. The BMW system kept sending me down dirt roads that were closed, open fields, and even into people's driveways! Not to mention, the route it used to get there probably added a good 45 minutes to the trip to begin with. Certainly, at a minimum it taught me I have to pre-plan the route and not rely on it's overall routing logic.

Anyway, long story short, I had to take out my Samsung G3 and use the android navigation app to get me there, the BMW nav just couldn't figure out how to do it (and at 12am, after 6 hours of driving, it was getting OLD)! Of course, the phone got me there without a single problem or wrong turn.

What a great system indeed.

#37 ·
Great i just purchased a CPO 2010 X5 and had the dealership update the nav. After hearing all these comments im womdering if it were a waste of time. Just got it today and tried it on way home from dealership in PA, i live in Jersey. Nav wanted to take me onto Rt1 which has a milliom traffic lights opposed to the NJ Turnpike (fast n direct). Is there a way for me to tell which version nav i have? Salesman seemed unsure and said it should be the 2013 version (which im not sure is even released yet). Secondly, does this nav have the 3d option? I couldnt find it if it did.

#38 · (Edited)
Go into navigation options menu, there should be an option somewhere that shows the "Navigation system version" (can't remember right now where it was)... And yes, you should be able to see 3D buildings (the option is called "perspective view in 3D", should be in navigation settings), but only in large cities, like Manhattan area of NYC and buildings look much worse than on iOS Maps app or Google Maps so it's pretty useless feature.

#44 ·
Bimmer navi is certainly horrible like most every other navi that isn't made by Honda/Acura. I can't stand any of them having used BMW, Volvo (really, Volvo?), Lexus, Infiniti...

Honestly, I don't bother other than using it as a map to show major roads. If I'm in need of directions, I always just use my Android Google Maps navigation that is terrific. On the new Androids, it even automatically switches to Street View as you pull up to your destination. Amazing execution by Google that should be a no brainer how-to for luxury cars. Garmin is pathetic in comparison IMO.

Destination entry and voice commands with BMW is a waste of time. In three years, I can't think of a single successful attempt at a voice command working correctly. Acura does a decent job, but tv commercials all make voice entry an overrated feature on any car.

Use your phone Google Maps before you leave.
My two cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.