BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

06 M3 died out while driving and had to be towed home

7K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  caden 
#1 ·
As a new member, I am asking for some help. I have a 2006 M3 convertible that my wife was driving the other day. She was just cruising, when all of the sudden it died and never would start again but does crank over. She did not notice any idiot lights before it died. Had it carefully towed back into the garage where it is currently sitting. Car has about 55,000 miles. Fuel pump primes when key is turned on. The car is sounding strange when it cranks over. Just keeps cranking kind of slow, but does not even hiccup. Please help. Is this a broken timing belt??? Fuel problem??? Spark problem???:dunno: Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
My warranty ran out at 50,000 miles. Is there a schrader valve on the fuel rail somewhere that I can test for pressure? I can hear the fuel pump when the key is turned to the on position. Does my car have a timing belt or chain? I will try to jump it. To the garage I go.

#11 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your car problem. I too,just recently bought an 06' M3(coupe)I've had it a month.I drove it all over the place the week or so,then I had the orange SMG light(tranmission) go on and I was scared.I took in to the dealer,it's still under factory warranty and all it was was a relay which they replaced and the DME recall(emissions) was done at the same time.

Sorry for the rant, but please let us know what the problem was/is when you find out.GL man and I hope it's nothing major.

Oh btw,if you know a BMW "indy" shop (not dealer) it might be worth towing it there first,tell them you want them to "READ" all your fault codes,at least this way your aware of the issues with your car before the dealer "tells" you whats wrong with it.Just my 2 cents...

Phin

#12 ·
Towed the car to the dealer today (love BMW roadside assistance-FREE towing) and they claimed that the cylinder #3 was not showing any compression. They said that one of the valves "kissed the piston". Probable cause- overreving. NO WAY! I baby my car. That is not the reason, BMW USA had better be involved with this. There had to be a defect in the building process. My car is just out of warranty at 56,000 miles. The dealer said that BMW may still help me out. I pray that they do. Anyone ever experience this valve hitting piston problem on a car that is driven carefully?

#16 ·
Died out while driving

Same thing happened to me last Sunday and had to get it towed home.
I pulled these fault codes: 2C 8F 69 0E 01.

2C : Thermal oil level sensor
8F: E-box fan
69: Engine coolant temp. plausibility
0E: Tank small leak
01: Fuel pump relay

I don't hear any buzzing/energizing/pressurizing sound when I turn the key. I had checked the fuse (#54) and replaced the fuel pump relay, but it doesn't fix it.

I guess the fuel pump is done, what do you think?

Please advise

Thx

#20 ·
Your wife should only be allowed to drive your ///M3 in the "P" mode...just J/K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.