BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z4 sticky steering fix $285

78K views 48 replies 31 participants last post by  cyclone7 
#1 ·
I had the sticky steering problem on by '04 Z4 and was upset that my "Ultimate Driving" machine was no longer fun to drive. I took my z4 to an independent mechanic who specializes in BMW's to work on 2 other problems and I asked him to look at the steering problem while he was at it.

He took the steering column apart and found a bearing that is anything but good engineering. There is a bearing in the middle of the steering column that is not sealed. With time and with heat the lubricant gets dry and cakes up. He told me this is what is making the steering sticky. He cleaned out the bearing and put in new lubricant and my Z is fun to drive again. $285 for all the work including the other two problems.

Now for the bad news:
He told me it was a temporary fix. The result of lousing engineering/design. The bearing is in the middel of the steering column. It is NOT a sealed bearing. It will happen again. The bearing is not replaceable. BMW does not list it as a part - you have to buy the entire steering column assembly (parts and labor over $3500). The inner bearing race is the column itself, which also means it cannot be replaced.

This is really poor engineering: It is UNSEALED and unreplaceable and it will happen again. In the meantime it is fun to drive again.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just an additional note: When the lubricant begins to dry out and cake up the the steering column shaft can no longer move smoothly. Caked up material creates little peaks and valleys. the rollers want to stay in the valley and when you turn the steering wheel wheel the rollers resist till it gets over the top of the caked up peak then it rolls into the next valley where it again resists movement.

The steering feels like detents on a switch, like the fan or temperture switch, which does not move smoothly like an infinitly controlable radio volume conrol knob. A fan speed switch goes from stop point to stop point or detent to detent. That is what my steering felt like before the fix.

#5 ·
Yea, good mechanic. lousy engineering. a poor response by bmw.
It tranishes their claim to the "ulitmate driving machine"
It soils the reputation of elite german engineering
It tells us all how much BMW management thinks about and cares for its customers.

#10 ·
If you get the chance, have the mechanic "mic" the bearing. There is a very good shot that you can find the sealed version at one of the industrial bearing shops. Motion Industries is the most well known. There is a chance that they would be able to get a sealed bearing that matches the dimensions on the unsealed one in the steering column.

Needless to say, if you find it, let us know.

#14 ·
If you get the chance, have the mechanic "mic" the bearing. There is a very good shot that you can find the sealed version at one of the industrial bearing shops. Motion Industries is the most well known. There is a chance that they would be able to get a sealed bearing that matches the dimensions on the unsealed one in the steering column.

Needless to say, if you find it, let us know.
The bearing is not replaceable because the inner race is the shaft itself. That is what makes it "poor" design or engineering - unsealed and unreplaceable.
Every bearing (that is not a friction bearing) has an inner race and and outer race and the balls or rollers in between. On this bearing the inner race IS the shaft.

Sorry for my delayed response - spent the week in Honduras.

#12 · (Edited)
I know this subject has been talked about extensively, but just for clarification, let me relate my problem. Our 2003 Z4 has what I would call a "dead spot" at the center. Sometimes, when driving straight down the road, when you move the steering wheel a little to the right or left, it seems like nothing happens for a second or two. Similar to the feeling you have on a conventional vehicle when a pitman arm gets worn and sloppy. I never notice this most of the time. Is this what the group is talking about?

#15 ·
I have the same - well known - issue with my Z4, but I am having a problem believing that the issue is an internal bearing. This bearing would have to be binding horribly tight to counter the rotational force being applied at the much larger diameter steering wheel.

Secondly, the binding is barely noticeable when not moving forward.

Lastly, the problem is worse when hot. This is counter intuitive given lubrication and metal expansion of bearings.

This leads me to believe this is an electronic steering assist issue with the sensor in the column.

I have been around mechanical assemblies for a career (I am a PE certified mechanical engineer) and this just doesn't all add up.

I would like to find a fix as much as the next guy while trying to avoid a $3K bill to replace the column.

So, let me hear your thoughts on this. It is clear BMW and the NHTSA is not going to help on this.

#16 ·
Yea, it seems counterintuitive that the grease would be a problem when it got hot. I did not open up the steering column and I did not see it.
I can tell you that it drives well now like it did when I first purchased.

I suggest you talk to Richard Behn, he did the work and you might be able to give you better information. I gave contact info on him earlier in the thread.

rus

#19 ·
Anyone have any more info on this issue? Mine behaves a little differently; when the car has been in the sun all day, the steering will feel like a magnet is holding it in place; you have to steer a little harder than you should to get it to move. This also results in it not centering as it should. Is this the same issue?

So this bearing was under the dash? Can it be lubricated without removing the steering column? I agree it sounds more like a motor issue. Anybody have any DIY success?

#49 ·
Anyone have any more info on this issue? Mine behaves a little differently; when the car has been in the sun all day, the steering will feel like a magnet is holding it in place; you have to steer a little harder than you should to get it to move. This also results in it not centering as it should. Is this the same issue?

So this bearing was under the dash? Can it be lubricated without removing the steering column? I agree it sounds more like a motor issue. Anybody have any DIY success?
Exactly what mine feels like, seems like the problem got a little worse when I changed from the RF's to Pirelli NRF's, though it's a matter of degree and may just be related to tire pressure. Any luck fixing yours?

#20 ·
Stickey steering when hot

I have the same problem and would like to get it fixed. Steering sticks when warm. BMW refuses to repair it even when mentioned in the warranty period. Wife thinks the car is cute and will not get rid of it. :thumbdwn:

If it is not the bearing then why does changing the steering column a fix? My dealer quoted me $1500 for the column.

#21 · (Edited)
I have the same problem and would like to get it fixed. Steering sticks when warm. BMW refuses to repair it even when mentioned in the warranty period. Wife thinks the car is cute and will not get rid of it. :thumbdwn:

If it is not the bearing then why does changing the steering column a fix? My dealer quoted me $1500 for the column.
If you cant get BMW to do this for Goodwill then $1500 total is a bargin. Unfortunately this issue has been well beat, screamed about and reviewed, even by the NHTSA. They stated its not a problem.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...r=PE10020&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true

There is internal binding associated with high cabin temp. Seems expansion coeffiecients were not well engineered within the column itself.
There were quite a few folks that got BMW to replace the column for free. Do a search in this and Zpost forums. Maybe you will hit on the right dealer and get lucky.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591475&highlight=sticky+steering

Good Luck

#22 ·
I find this explanation hard to swallow. If it were the bearing and "caked" grease, then the problem would exist all the time, but it doesn't, it only appears at very warm temps. Also, grease would have less tendency to "cake" and be more supple with the higher temps making this diagnosis counterintuitive. I don't think this is the panacea you thnk it is.

#23 · (Edited)
I don't buy the bearing fix either...I know heat is a factor and I know lubing U joints eases the steering and for a while I thought it was fixed...but it's not.

Speed seems a a factor as mine does not act up at slow speed which seems to indicate a problem as boost is lowered at speed.
Sitting in the sun is a factor as it does not do it when driven from the shady but hot car port.
Age seems to be a factor as I think it impacts vehicles several years old after warranty.

I'm not sure what the heck is going on but the redesign seems to have targeted the worm gear area, but I tend to agree with Estrov that the problem is related to electronics in the column...last week I did the reset with the key, 10 seconds in pos 1, 10 seconds in pos 2, then back to pos 1 and start the car...so far it has not happened again and we are having a heatwave...am I confident it's fixed? ....No

#24 ·
I'm pretty sure the problem is the electric motor control. The cogging in the steering feels like the cogging you get with a DC brush motor. I bet if you could disengage the motor it would go away (ie not the bearing at all). But I get the impression that is not something you could do.

#26 ·
I have an opinion or two...

I believe it is definitely related to the worm gear in the electronic assist unit.

What I don't understand is why the symptoms don't occur when the vehicle is new. From what I have read it seems to happen to cars several years old. Perhaps someone can tell me I'm wrong and their car suffered when new? If it's true that new cars are OK then what changes in the worm gear with time? Would dismantling, cleaning and new lube fix it for a few more years? Is this possible?

It gets worse at high speed as the steering boost is diminished (variable boost)
It definitely gets worse if the car is parked in the sun with the roof and windows closed but why would new cars not have this same heat issue? It seems to happen after driving for a couple of hours even in cool temperatures so time seems to matter, perhaps time creates heat in the servo and worm gear.

There should be a general recall for this issue as it is a design fault...the NHTSA let the owners down big time...perhaps they were afraid of being litigated to death by BMW.

Shame on BMW for not stepping up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.