BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Wait time for delivery

36K views 271 replies 47 participants last post by  justinnum1 
#1 ·
Im just wondering, for those that have aready received their 2013 3 series how long did it take to arrive after you placed your orders? I want to time my purchase/trade correctly.

#48 ·
AndDown,

I thought his vehicle would be on the Oberon; but his profile say he is not on the West Coast.
So maybe another ship. In any case, the Oberon is due in Panama on Monday. So maybe I can see it in ATS tracking range this Sunday. Getting excited again.

#51 · (Edited)
My bad...didnt notice he was on the east coast. Not sure if you have seen some of the videos of crossing the Panama Canal but it helped me better visualize the crossing.

You'll notice in this video that the videographer's ship was following what looks like a car carrier, there's not a lot of room between the lock walls:

Here's a longer video to keep you occupied!!!:

Have fun anticipating - the wait is worth it!

Cheers! :beerchug:

#50 · (Edited)
Your dealer should know the ship's name.

Not sure whether Charleston is a BMW port of entry. I would check a ship going to one of the east coast ports shown below:

BMW currently has three VDCs in the United States. The New Jersey VDC processes ca. 100,000 cars per year and supports 12 states. The West Coast VDC in Port Hueneme, California receives cars for the West Coast, and Brunswick, Georgia VDC receives cars destined for the southeastern United States. Another VDC is planned for the Baltimore area, which will process cars destined for Mid-Atlantic states and the Central region.

Good luck!

#57 ·
Okay, thanks. I was afraid of that. I don't think I can get it from my CA because she told me it doesn't show back up on their system until it hits the VPC. I am not inclined to push the issue, so I guess I'll just have to hope I got on the same ship that others going to the Southeast are on.

#60 · (Edited)
Do you have a VIN yet? If you don't you should has the CA for it; they should have it. Then you can use the "Track and Trace" search on the W&W website to see if your VIN is onboard one of there vessels bound for the USA. Your CA can send it via email to you. The seventeen digits is hard to get it right...via a phone call.

#58 ·
Oberon back on radar

The Oberon has FINALLY re-appeared. Looks to be about 5 miles out from entering the Panama canal. So, good for many of us to know that Isaac did not slow it down - it's right on schedule. Next stop (once it clears the canal) Port Hueneme on Sept. 5th.:)

#59 ·
The Oberon has FINALLY re-appeared. Looks to be about 5 miles out from entering the Panama canal. So, good for many of us to know that Isaac did not slow it down - it's right on schedule. Next stop (once it clears the canal) Port Hueneme on Sept. 5th.:)
Are you seeing the Oberon on marinetraffic.com? I just looked and cannot locate the Oberon? I see two other Oberon vessels; but not one near the Panama Canal? I does show it has arrived at the canal on another website; but no Map view..

#63 ·
Unfortunately, not entirely...once it leaves Panama, there will be dead areas where there's no tracking available. If you access the marinetraffic.com site and zoom out, you will see green rectangles with numbers in them - these are areas where tracking is available. BTW, if you check on the Oberon right now (10:30 p.m. PST), it's doing its funny back out to the Caribbean Sea routine. The Tomar did that - not sure why or what for :dunno:

#64 ·
Yeah, the capitan of the Oberon seems to once again be doing his best "Crazy Ivan" imitation (heading back north into the Caribbean). But moving very slowly. Maybe he has to queue-up to go through the canal (?)

#67 ·
Mine took from 6/25 to 7/20 to start production. Once it gets into production its only about 3-4 days to being done. Then the long wait while it gets trucked to the port of exit (Bremerhaven) and another long wait to get loaded on a ship, then an even longer wait for the ship to get to the US. Patience they tell me is a virtue.

Oberon is now 1/2 way thru the Panama Canal. Next stop Port Hueneme due 9/5. Then my CA says my car gets trucked to Oxnard for prep. Could be a week to 10 days before delivery to the dealer. I may have it by mid Sept.

That makes the whole process equal about 11 weeks (west coast delivery).

As always YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)!

#72 ·
The last car I ordered was at the dealer only a day or two after hitting Port Hueneme, so you might be pleasantly surprised.

#71 ·
VLing, and anyone else who's car is on the Oberon, It has now cleared the canal (and just about to go off the radar again). Next stop Port Hueneme (9/5) :)

#73 ·
Well EddieB, I of course hope that you are right.

#75 · (Edited)
Toscana re-appears on radar

For any of you with cars on the Toscana (due in Port Hueneme on 9/3) she has just re-appeared on the Marine traffic site. She is about 1/2 way between Cabo and Ensenada (roughly 600 miles south of Port Hueneme).

So what that means to those of us awaiting the Oberon is that we should expect to see it re-appear on about 9/2 - evening. Once it does we should be able to track it the rest of the way to Port Hueneme (on the 5th).

#78 · (Edited)
At 16-17 knots, that's only about 20 mph, it seems like forever! At least you don't have to worry about hurricane storms - there's a youtube of a carrier going through a hurricane and that would be gut-renching if your car was on that ship.

#80 ·
Mine took 7 weeks from order date to get to Florida

#82 ·
Now to see how long to the ship....
According to the 800 number my car will be finished on Monday. The trick is to get on a ship. Sometimes it happens right away sometimes it take a week to get on a ship. Since I am on the East coast the distance is much shorter. I should get my car end of September at the latest which is exactly how I timed it since I will have a car until then to drive.

#85 ·
The 1800 number used to give September 6 as completion date for my production. Today it got changed to September 7. Is that normal?

#92 ·
Ordered on 8/17 went into production on 8/28 and when I called the 800 number on the 29th I was told it would finish production on September 4. I checked this morning and the car is now in the body shop and the production end date is still 9/4. I'm hoping for delivery by the end of September.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.