BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

So what does everyone do for breaking in their new car?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  HoustonBimmer 
#1 ·
Getting my new F13 tomorrow and wanted to get some thoughts on everyone's special practices. I know to vary my speed for the first 1,000 miles, but what else?

Thanks

#2 ·
Getting my new F13 tomorrow and wanted to get some thoughts on everyone's special practices. I know to vary my speed for the first 1,000 miles, but what else?

Thanks
That really about it...:)

#3 ·
Autobahn A92 from to Lucerne to Munich:D

I did vary the speed - from 110 to 160 mph ...

dk

#4 ·
Break in

I pretty much adhere to the factory advice

<100 mph.
<4,000 rpm.

for the first 1,200 miles. Chill on tires for 200 miles.

Then I change the oil and filter before I begin to learn about how much faster it will go. I think this is less important than it was years ago, but still makes sense.

HB: Congratulations on your new car.

I got mine Tuesday and have been checking it out ever since. Got windows tinted yesterday. You are going to love it. Were I to design it, there is very little I would change;

-rear seat headrests that blocked less rear vision [I would accomplish this by making back seats optional, and making it a parcel space.]
-lose 800 pounds [No rear seats would help reduce weight.]

I am running out of things to change!! It is a great car. It accomplishes what it was designed to do very, very well.

#6 ·
I did leave out the braking thing, but remember, in several northern states, pedestrians have the right of way, even over cars in their break-in period....

#8 ·
Easy does it!

Brakes, tires, engine, transmission, differential. Just think about trying to run full speed as you get out of bed in the morning. Warm up, take it easy, and easy into the full speed routine. Makes sense for your body and your car. After all, it won't cost anything to take care of yourself or your new car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.