BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Considering an X3 Purchase, Need Advice

4K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  xspeedy 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new. I've posted here before when I was in the process of purchasing my current 330ci, which turned out to be helpful. Now, I'm thinking of getting an AWD for my wife, and would like your input again. We are considering either a 325xi wagon or an X3. We didn't test drive the X3 yet, so we're not sure if we want the 2.5L or pay the extra bucks and go for the 3.0L. But right now, we're leaning toward the 2.5L.

I don't have any specific questions about the wagon or the X3. I'm just basically polling your opinions on either one of these. Right now, I just want to hear anything you guys have to say about these two vehicles, and any advice that might be helpful when going into the dealership

I appreciate any and all feedbacks.

#2 ·
BIGRED said:
We didn't test drive the X3 yet, so we're not sure if we want the 2.5L or pay the extra bucks and go for the 3.0L. But right now, we're leaning toward the 2.5L.
I have the 2.5 engine in my X3 and find it has enough power for me. That is a purely personal choice, and suggest you test both the 2.5 and 3.0 before placing your order.

#3 ·
harplayr said:
I have the 2.5 engine in my X3 and find it has enough power for me. That is a purely personal choice, and suggest you test both the 2.5 and 3.0 before placing your order.
Did you consider the 325xi wagon when you were looking at the X3?

#4 ·
We traded in our 2003 325i for an X3. There is much better passenger room all the way around in the X3.

As for engine displacement, I am very glad we opted for the larger engine. I am sure you went through this same quandry when you selected a 330 over a 325.

#5 ·
sfca-325i said:
We traded in our 2003 325i for an X3. There is much better passenger room all the way around in the X3.

As for engine displacement, I am very glad we opted for the larger engine. I am sure you went through this same quandry when you selected a 330 over a 325.
Yes, I prefer the 3.0, but I'm not sure if my wife is going to care about the difference. We'll see when she test drives the two engines.

But to others reading this, are there any notable comparisons to the 325xi wagon? She wanted the wagon, but then the X3 just came out so we're not sure what we should do. The X3 is growing on us, but it's also a bit more $$$ compared to the wagon.

Would anyone choose the wagon over the X3 for the cheaper price?

#6 ·
BIGRED said:
Yes, I prefer the 3.0, but I'm not sure if my wife is going to care about the difference. We'll see when she test drives the two engines.

But to others reading this, are there any notable comparisons to the 325xi wagon? She wanted the wagon, but then the X3 just came out so we're not sure what we should do. The X3 is growing on us, but it's also a bit more $$$ compared to the wagon.

Would anyone choose the wagon over the X3 for the cheaper price?
If the wagon had the 3.0, maybe. Otherwise, no consideration at all of the wagon.

#7 ·
BIGRED said:
Did you consider the 325xi wagon when you were looking at the X3?
The 325XI wagon is a fine car, however it didn't suit our needs. If you're considering the wagon, you may want to wait until the next generation is available. Of note for myself when choosing the SUV over the wagon was the extra cargo capacity, the availability of the interior bike rack, the vastly superior X-Drive all wheel drive system and drive height among other things.

#10 ·
We drove both the 2.5 and 3.0 and felt the 2.5 was jsut fine, but we got a deal on the 3.0 that was in the showroom. I think you would be happy with both. This is the most sporty SUV I have driven and has a very nice feel. It is a bit more expensive, but I was considering the same question you had, and am glad we went with the X3

#12 ·
The main difference, to me, between a wagon and a X3 (or X5 in my case) was ease of loading. Both have good cargo space for most people, but the lean-over into the wagon was harder on my back than the lean-over into the X5. I've got a dog that rides in the car, and I bring recyclables to the drop-off place, and both of those are easier for me in the X5.
The X3 would be similar, although I'm also partial to the clamshell gate in the rear of my X5 that the X3 doesn't feature.

Also, I really like the commanding view I get in the SAV as opposed to the car-level view of the wagon. Flame me if you want, it's just my personal preference :angel: .

#13 ·
I just ordered a 2.5 for ED. I was going to go with a 3.0 at first, but the cost difference is huge when both versions are equipped as I would order them. I want the SP, the Panorama Roof, and Xenons. Since the SP requires leather, I decided to get PP (doesn't really cost much more than the combined cost of Leather and Roof). The 3.0 equipped as such came out to cost me $38K via ED. This was way more than I wanted to spend, so I looked at the 2.5. Equally equipped, it came out to only $33K. $5K is a lot of money for a bigger engine.

SA also told me resale on the 2.5 is better, so that sealed the deal. It's an SUV, and I can live with a bit slower pickup for a year until the e90 is out. I'll splurge for the bigger engine then.

#14 ·
xspeedy said:
SA also told me resale on the 2.5 is better, so that sealed the deal. It's an SUV, and I can live with a bit slower pickup for a year until the e90 is out. I'll splurge for the bigger engine then.
Don't buy a car based on resale value. Buy it because you like it. The SA will tell you anything he/she can to close the deal. :)

#15 · (Edited)
Emission said:
Don't buy a car based on resale value. Buy it because you like it. The SA will tell you anything he/she can to close the deal. :)
Resale is a big deal for my scheme to work. My SA is only getting a $1000 profit no matter what he sells me, and he pretty much knew I was buying something. He doesn't really have any benefit in selling a particular vehicle or configuration over any other. Other suggestions were the Silver paint (still in fad), and PP to get the Panorama Roof. I went with Silver Gray since I have Titanium Silver now. He wasn't so keen on Xenons as it doesn't really add much in the resale, but I went with them anyway.

I had originally ordered a 3.0, and then I changed it because the price differential for the bigger engine just seemed too high. At least with a 330i upgrade, one gets the better sound system and the sport suspension.

#16 ·
xspeedy said:
My SA is only getting a $1000 profit no matter what he sells me
Exactly. I didn't say they get $$$ to sell you a 2.5, I said they get $$$ to close the deal! I sold cars. I lied a lot. :(

You got a killer new X3 coming. Congrats! :thumbup:

#17 ·
Nix the entire wagon idea. My suggestion to you is to let your wife test drive the 2.5 first. Chances are you'll find that the 2.5 is probably plenty power for her. I got my wife to test drive the 3.0 X5 first before even before stepping into the 4.4. She thought the 3.0 had plenty of umph. The 4.4 just seemed like "too much power" for her :dunno: . Of course most guys would think differently, but who really cares as long as your wife is happy :p . Plus, you'll probably save yourself a lot of money by going with a 2.5. Granted, this all goes out the window if your wife is a speed lover. My wife used to be, but since we got the X5, it's all been "2 miles an hour...so everybody sees you". Good luck :thumbup: !

#18 ·
xspeedy said:
I just ordered a 2.5 for ED. I was going to go with a 3.0 at first, but the cost difference is huge when both versions are equipped as I would order them. I want the SP, the Panorama Roof, and Xenons. Since the SP requires leather, I decided to get PP (doesn't really cost much more than the combined cost of Leather and Roof). The 3.0 equipped as such came out to cost me $38K via ED. This was way more than I wanted to spend, so I looked at the 2.5. Equally equipped, it came out to only $33K. $5K is a lot of money for a bigger engine.

How in the HECK is a SA going to know what the resale on a car in XX years going to be? It's a first year car. The thing might go to hell by then. I hope not because I have one but that sounds like a BS line if I 've ever heard one. Buy what you like not on resale.

#20 ·
3or5er said:
FWIW I started looking at X3 but am leaning more and more toward the RX-330. Looks great, better material, better fuel economy, outstanding reliability, and cost a lot less than the bimmer. Just my 2cents. :angel:
You female?

#21 ·
Emission said:
You female?
:)

I was thinking the same thing. Don't most people put DRIVING as one of if not THE key criteria in purchasing one (The Ultimate Driving Machine).

#23 ·
3or5er said:
Nope. But I must be blind because most of the x3 I've seen are driven by females or gays.

:bigpimp:
I'm just giving you a hard time.

The Lexus is more luxurious, and softer. The BMW is the handler. Lexus is FWD-based while the BMW is RWD-based. Different cars for different folks. I can't knock the Lexus...

#24 ·
3or5er said:
FWIW I started looking at X3 but am leaning more and more toward the RX-330. Looks great, better material, better fuel economy, outstanding reliability, and cost a lot less than the bimmer. Just my 2cents. :angel:
Per edmunds.com,

RX330 with AWD has MSRP of $36,675
X3 3.0 has MSRP of $36,300

EPA city is 18 for RX330 and 17 for X3
EPA highway is 24 for RX330 and 25 for X3.

Don't mean to be argumentative, but I think a more appropriate comparison for the Lexus would be the Acura MDX, where ride comfort and interior appointments are high on the owner's priority list.

#25 · (Edited)
sfca-325i said:
Per edmunds.com,

RX330 with AWD has MSRP of $36,675
X3 3.0 has MSRP of $36,300

EPA city is 18 for RX330 and 17 for X3
EPA highway is 24 for RX330 and 25 for X3.

Don't mean to be argumentative, but I think a more appropriate comparison for the Lexus would be the Acura MDX, where ride comfort and interior appointments are high on the owner's priority list.
But the Lexus includes a bunch of stuff standard that the X3 doesn't. Equip the X3 3.0, and you'll easily be around $42K or more. Do an ED on the X3, and you'll be much closer.

The main difference is the driving experience. Can't compare these two vehicles just as you can't compare a 330 to an Accord. While both have good interiors. leather, and decent quality, the Accord will never handle like a BMW.

#26 ·
2.5L has plenty of power, definitely enough for daily use. If you have your mind set on 2.5L, don't test drive 3.0, coz you will like 3.0 better, then you will have harder time decide between performance vs money.

I do NOT think RX330 get better fuel efficiency than X3 2.5L. My freinds RX get average 18MPG over 15K miles. I think 2.5L will do better. RX330 is a very nice SUV, the only thing you don't get in RX330 is the handling of BMW.

eel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.