BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sunroof repaired!

9K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  WUURBS 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I had my sunroof repaired due to the rear glass panel stuck open in the vent position. My dealer fixed the problem by replacing the sunroof cassette, part number 54137184906. The dealer reused the glass and the shade. I have one question, I haven't noticed this with my old unit, to replicate the problem: performing the following:

1. Retract the sun shade all the way until it is parked
2. Open the front glass
3. Right before the glass parks itself (when the airfoil fully raises) the shade moves slightly and makes a clunk noise. (shade is still parked)

Can anyone else replicate the shade movement in the parked position and the clunk?

Thanks.

Jeff

#3 ·
Yes, I confirmed that it only happens when the wind deflector operates. I wonder if this is by design? I just never head the noise from the rear sunshade before.

#5 ·
Just had mine replaced, due to accident, after the replacement it does not go to the 'comfort stop' it always opens all of the way. I have calibrated it, the dealer has done the same, it refuses.

I also have noticed that when just starting the car, if I have the roof vented, if I try to do anything for the first minute after starting it will close and then open again. Very odd.

Many say close it and not to use it, I cannot and will not do this, as it was one of the things that I must have. It was very nice to get a new cassette, but the way I got it I would have rather had paid for it myself or had it done under warranty.

#12 ·
Many say close it and not to use it, I cannot and will not do this, as it was one of the things that I must have. It was very nice to get a new cassette, but the way I got it I would have rather had paid for it myself or had it done under warranty.
Isn't it like $4-$5K to get that thing replaced?

I never use mine - except the inner shade to expose the glass - and it will remain that way.
I thought it was an option on the new model and the repair costs were the reason why.

#6 ·
If it was repaired/replaced after an accident and you are not satisfied with the work done, then return the car to the place that did the work and tell them to make it right. Very simple solution. BTW, I am one of those that advocate closing the roof and not using it.:angel:

#16 ·
To followup with my post. I had returned the car to the dealer for two reasons:

1. The clunk noise when the sunshade was closed
2. The sunshade did not rest against the rear headliner (3/8" gap between the headliner and sunshade). The original sunshade (MY2005) is not compatible with the "redesigned" sunroof cassette.

The dealer had to order a new sunshade, this solved both the noise and the fit to the headliner. He informed me that the original sunshade is not compatible with the redesigned cassette.

The cost to replace the cassette was $2800 parts and labor.

The "redesigned" sunroof cassette solved all of the rattling issues I had with the original sunroof.

The "redesigned" sunroof cassette solved the buffeting noise that occurred when the sunroof was open (on my old sunroof to solve the buffeting noise I would lower the rear windows by 1/2")

Very please the dealer did an excellent job.

Jeff

#17 · (Edited)
so I had my sunroof repaired two years ago, after the repair the sunroof doesn't open all the way anymore. the front of the front pane stops at the front of the rear pane. wondering if you guys had the same situation. : \ it really sucks that i can't open it all the way like i used to

or i'm insane and was imagining it opening all the way before.....

#18 · (Edited)
Yeah I think you might be losing it:rofl: The front glass panel retracts to about 4 inches in front of the rear pane when you push the switch back all the way. You can retract it the remaining 4 inches so that it is in line with the rear panel if you hit the switch again. The first position is the "comfort position". This reduces the buffeting noise when the windows are rolled up.

I repaired my sunroof myself about a year ago by replacing the plastic coated metal tracks that everything rides on. The front tracks can be replaced without pulling the whole cassette out of the vehicle. The plastic on these tracks falls apart after being exposed to sun for a few years.... The result is plastic pieces jamming the mechanism and wreaking havoc. The only consolation was I lost the rear glass vent which I haven't noticed. Saved me BIG bucks.

#19 ·
Hello FrenchX3
U say u did the repair urself/ Congrats on all the $ u saved/ Can u say if the mechanisms on the 05 are similar to the 04 and what the cost of the cassette parts u replaced were ???/ And, what issues or problems did u run into with the repair/ Also what repair manual did u use to guide u thru the process/ TIA/ Warren

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.