BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Has anyone tried this lens polishing kit before?

754 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  IndiansFan 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Also, I keep reading about how they cloud up again right away so I am thinking of a clear acrylic finish after the fact. Anyone try that?
http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-headlight-how-to.html
I need to do mine, so let us know what you learn.
In addition, you can replace the lens, or, you can use the 3M kit ...

Typing /headlight f3 in the bestlinks nets these:
- Headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & replacing just the headlight lens (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)

#3 ·
While the protectant may prevent future yellowing, I'm a little skeptical of the polishing pad. This would work only if your headlamp covers are not that bad. If they are bad, like most, you will need multiple grits of sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease. Start with 400 and go up to 2000. I recommend a plastic cover, like Lamin-X, which will prevent yellowing and protect against further damage.

#4 ·
the long way to do your headlights is the following, i did it this way on the x5 and the 540

i use a DA 3 inch air sander... starting with like a 400.. thr ereason for this is that bmw lenses have a coating over the plastic, you have to remove all of it, as you start sanding you will see when you get through it and hit just plastic...

once you have all of that stuff off andyou have sanded evenly to get scratches and pits out...
then go to a 600...then 1000...then 1500 then 2000 i use water with a little dish soap as a lubricant it works better this way
when you get to the 2000 grit the plastic will start to cleear up a bit but still foggy

i like to use transtar compund... they have one called tricut II... its a three in one compound meaning... all you do is change the pad your using to gert different cutting
so start with a yellow pad (course).... then go to the white pad(medium) .... then the blue pad (ffinal)... i might have the white and yellow reversed..
by the time you get to the blue it will be crystal clear..

i ended up doing like 6 cuts with each pad... it takesa a while...dont press to hard on the polisher or you will build to much heat and melt a smear into the lens then you to sand over again..
for the very last step i use another blue pad and 3M perfect it 3000...its awesome stuff, as you polish with it... when it builds a little heat, it releases watyer somehow to lubricate the process, o dod that step 6 times as well using a little less pressure on the polisger each time...

they will get crystal clear if you take your time with the sanding...

#8 ·
I don't know how effective the Diamondite product is, but I did the multiple wet/dry sandpaper and P.C. orbital method (refinishing link #1 from bluebee). My lights were just as clear as the photos in the link. This is the only method I use now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.