BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Are all X5's from South Carolina?

10K views 82 replies 29 participants last post by  NoI4plz 
#1 ·
I'm a 5 series driver, so I'm just visiting this subforum.

A friend just bought a 2010 X5. I was telling him it was American made and he was amazed. I said I'd show him on the door jam sticker but we found it didn't say the location of origin. Of course he doesn't have the original Marony.

I looked at my 535i '011 and the door sticker doesn't show the city or country of origin either (I know it's Dingolfing, Germany as that's what the Marony sticker says).

So, aren't all X5's made in the Spartanburg?

Also, his car says 3.0L. I presume that's the unturbocharged straight 6. Correct?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Good point. Assembled here. I used to have a Suburban-- 70% us parts, and an Accord, 85% us parts.

My friend was frankly disconcerted by his truck's american heritage. As I understand it, the output from SC is as good as from Germany. True?

#6 ·
Having had a few BMWs in my lifetime, I can say that the build quality of the X5 coming out of the USA is not as good as the German build cars. Even the 3 series from South Africa are better built. BUT most of my complaints extend to the poor interior materials.

1) The surround to the Sat Nav screen creaks
2) The hard plastic lower B pillar trims are a joke, I have seriously seen better on a Kia
3) Why can't BMW make a tailgate which doesn't rattle?

American built = poor build quality I'm afraid.

The much maligned Range Rover Sport is better built, I had two before the X5. It won't be long before I look at another, the cheap build quality of the X5 is rapidly turning me off BMW.

#12 · (Edited)
I would expect them to start building even non SUVs here.
BMW SC formerly produced automobiles (excluding SAVs - Sport Activity Vehicle) E36 318i, E36/7 Z3 (Roadster), E36/8 (Z3 Coupe), E85 Z4 (Roadster), E86 Z4 (Coupe). BMW Spartanburg is currently exclusive for producing the SAVs; X3, X5, X6, & the upcoming X4. The plant is currently under expansion to produce the X4. It is doubtful BMW will produce non SAVs there again as a new factory is being built in Brazil.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bmw-build-plant-brazil-184014561--finance.html

Edit: the X5 is assembled in Mexico as well.

BMW de Mexico currently builds the 3 series, 5 series, 7 series and the X5. BMW de Mexico also manufactures armored high security vehicles, manufactures parts for domestic and foreign markets, maintains a large repair and service facility and a school for international BMW personnel

#13 ·
During a recent BMW plant tour in Germany. I asked the tour guide why didn't they have the rodots do a particular assembly job (rear door attachment). He reply is that they needed to leave a sufficient number of jobs for the humans. :yikes:

In this particular job, the door is delivered via an elevator to the assembly line. The worker operating a rig suspended for the ceiling attaches the rig to the door window with a suction cup. Using the rug he walks to the car with the door. He spins around the door which is aligned by the rig and he screws in the door with a power screw driver. He pushes a button and the rig returns to the original position for the next door. Between stations there are cameras which perform quality control checks via automated image recognition to see if the parts are aligned correctly. When a coupe or convertible comes through, the worker gets a break. Truly a job for a robot, but for a human, his/her particular nationality truly isn't important.

#15 ·
On the tour there last year they quoted 1,200 SAV's a day with 70% exported. They are the largest exporter of cars from the US. And it is an assembly plant, they don't manufacture anything.

#16 ·
They may not "fabricate" anything, but they do "manufacture" complete cars from parts ;)

When politicians and economists talk about adding manufacturing jobs in America, the Spartanburg plant and others like it are absolutely included in that discussion.

Jay

#17 · (Edited)
In my experience the German built cars are of overall higher build quality. Not when it comes to essentials as drive train and chassi but when it comes to fit and finish. During my expat years in Africa I had an E36 3 series. A factory tour in South Africa was included and when I asked the German foreman on the difference between a car built there and in Germany he just smiled and mumbled "no comments". That said, I abused that car to no end over 4 years, it went pedal to the metal all the time and was driven over rough terrain to game reserves and dive spots. It was towed out of mud holes and bottomed out at high speed countless times. I had water coming into the cabin etc. but it never failed. The interior however was rattling, squeaking and scraping like crazy. The leather was dry and crinkly like a rhino. The alignment on doors were so-so and the plastics felt cheap and knobs were not smooth. My E30s and my GF's E21 we had in Sweden were of much higher build quality. I haven't owned an X so I can't comment on the quality of them compared to German built cars.

#18 ·
You're comparing apples to oranges. The 3-series that you drove, years ago, was for the local Africa market. Things have changed; they are now exported globally so I would expect the quality to be much better (and it is --- I have driven 3-series as loaners here).

Mercedes Benz and other cars are also made in South Africa for the Africa market. I don't know if they export them but their quality was never expected to be what one would find in Europe or the USA.

#28 ·
My tenure was only short and almost 30 years ago but I have friends that worked at SAAB until it closed down and they are now transferred to other SAAB companies. I also have friends at Volvo. They are all some level of management these days and if you tell them people doesn't matter they will laugh. It's not IPhones or DVD players we are talking about here, it's large complex machinery that requires a dedicated skilled work force to consistently deliver high quality. The Japanese have done a successful transfer into the US and I think the X5 is proof that BMW has as well, still, given the choice I prefer German built and that it enables ED doesn't hurt, it's THE way to buy a European car.

#29 ·
Yup, you are spot on. I think spartanburg quality has also stepped up (I'm talking in terms of paint and interior assy). BMW AG quality to me is still higher, I think Rosslyn quality is the worst of the 3.

#30 ·
Wow-- I've really kicked up a fuss with my seemingly innocent question.

I've got to say that if there was a choice I'd buy a car assembled in the US over somewhere else for patriotic reasons unless there was a clear difference in quality. I don't think there is one here.

FWIW, I said I had an Accord ('95) built in Ohio. I live in California, so most accords here were from Japan. I sought out an American assembled one on the lot and that's what I bought. I sold it 120,000 miles later with no repairs. So Americans can assemble cars as well as the Japanese, etc. I remember reading about the GM-Toyotal Plant out here (NUMI) having the highest quality ratings in all of toyota.

I thank everyone for your comments. We might be in the market for an X3 soon. I'd be glad to get one from SC.

#31 ·
Wow-- I've really kicked up a fuss with my seemingly innocent question.

I've got to say that if there was a choice I'd buy a car assembled in the US over somewhere else for patriotic reasons unless there was a clear difference in quality. I don't think there is one here.

FWIW, I said I had an Accord ('95) built in Ohio. I live in California, so most accords here were from Japan. I sought out an American assembled one on the lot and that's what I bought. I sold it 120,000 miles later with no repairs. So Americans can assemble cars as well as the Japanese, etc. I remember reading about the GM-Toyotal Plant out here (NUMI) having the highest quality ratings in all of toyota.

I thank everyone for your comments. We might be in the market for an X3 soon. I'd be glad to get one from SC.
Quite the thread!

To be honest, any vehicle manufactured improperly will be a trouble maker regardless of the factory location or workforce. Its just how life works. That being said, BMW vehicles assembled in SC have issues with paint (orange peel) compared to the vehicles assembled in Germany. The SC vehicles, seem to be a bit more trouble prone (based solely on the number of threads relating to mfg quality) than their European counterparts. However where there is quality issues, you have the warranty to kick in and provide a safety net. So enjoy!

#33 · (Edited)
If an american spearhead company like Apple would manufacture products in the U.S.A. in parallell to Asia I would not only look for them I would be willing to pay a hefty premium. For a BMW, Porsche, IWC, Ferrari, Riva etc. no way I would choose Made in the U.S.A if I have the choice. I prefer the mother ship from start to finish unless it's British...

Granted my choice would be different as the CFO of a company answering to a CEO, board and ultimately shareholders looking to buy a large quantity of quality components. If I could have them for 20% less if manufactured in a lower cost plant I would have no choice but to go for it but for personal luxury consumption there's no way I'd select anything but the mother ship given the choice.

#35 ·
If an american spearhead company like Apple would manufacture products in the U.S.A. in parallell to Asia I would not only look for them I would be willing to pay a hefty premium.
Unfortunately, there are not a lot of people around like you. Many people say this, but when it's time to pay the premium for US sourcing, they don't follow through.

Back in the 1980's, or early 1990's, I remember the company that sells Eureka camping tents tried this parallel sourcing -- one of their most popular models of tents was available as Korean-sourced, or sourced from one of the New England states (Vermont or New Hampshire?). I believe the price difference was $140 vs. $180. The tents were identical except for their place of manufacture.

It seems few people would pay the extra $40, and the US-source one was dropped.

#37 ·
Things haven't changed at all, The US and Australia make crap looking cars, the quality is also suspect, the Italians make good looking cars but their quality sucks, The English don't make anything at all anymore apart from overpriced Range Rovers, so that's pretty hard to stuff up, The French make weird looking cars, if they weren't so weird i might actually buy one, The Japanese still make excellent cars as they have done for 20 years now, unfortunately Japan has no imagination anymore and it shows in their cars, The Koreans are improving rapidly but a Hyundai is still a Hyundai no matter how much it tries not to be...............................Germans design and build better cars than everyone else.......... fact.

IMHO You cant replicate German build quality in foreign countries.

#38 ·
Does BMW make ANY car or SUV at BOTH usa and german plants?

if yes, then a comparison would be fantastic.

If no, then people are morons.

#39 ·
After seeing all of the complaints on the F10 forum, I'm surprised that people are touting German build quality here. My 650 hasn't left Germany yet and I already have a warranty claim to make the day it is redelivered.

#40 · (Edited)
And yet you bought one. :confused:

I'm not going to lie to you, there are things i find unacceptable in many BMW's, including the film that covers the interior that peels off, the crap plastic badges, the steering wheel quality, the crap plastic strips on the gear knob, the price of spare parts, not being able to simply replace the air filter or have a wheel alignment done, several BMW employees at dealerships who are complete wankers.............. and the list goes on.

But if BMW made the best cars at the best price and had the cheapest parts and cheapest service everyone would own one though and the world would be quite boring, although id hate to think they are not aiming to improve in many areas.

#53 ·
And yet you bought one. :confused:
Reliability is pretty low on my list of priorities when I'm shopping for a car. I expect that the more complex a car is, the more likely that it will have some issues. I'll take excitement over reliability anyday. :D

#41 ·
Well, I didn't mean to offend but I don't care if I do really. We can leave the insults to Ard.

Having lived in the US and driven all manner of USA built / assembled /parts sourced cars, I cannot think of one which doesn't have poor build quality. The plastics are awful and the cars generally rattle, but, they are quite rugged and last a long time.

Moron or not, my observation is that the build quality and standard of some plastics on my new X5 are below much cheaper cars. The build quality and interior noise levels / rattles and creaks are worse than that on my previous two Range Rover Sports. I was going to get an X6 next but no way of its built in the same place as the X5. I will be visiting Land Rover for my next car, probably.

#46 ·
Orange peel might not be the best indicator of build quality these days. It could be a result of a deliberate move to more environmental friendly paint components and technique. It can also be a result of wanting a more flexible paint that doesn't crack or chip as easily or lessens the size of the impacted area. Or this is just marketing bs and it's all down to cost savings with cheaper components, techniques and allowing bad paint jobs to pass through.

#50 ·
Quack

Not even people here in Australia laud the build quality of a Holden, which is a GM car = USA (again) Not many people drive them here which is why they will not survive. I have had 2 RRS and neither has had creaking plastics or a rattling tailgate. Even BMW knows their build quality is poor, they only fix squeaks and rattles for 12 months after new purchase under warranty. Land Rover don't have such a restriction.

Kzang

Maybe you have difficulty with English comprehension or you don't read further back than 2 posts. BUT, I have been clear in my build quality criticisms, creaking poor quality plastics and a rattling (probably poorly aligned) tailgate which is documented in many places on this forum.

#51 ·
Even BMW knows their build quality is poor, they only fix squeaks and rattles for 12 months after new purchase under warranty.
This is not the policy in the US

#55 ·
That's horrble! 71% of Lexus owners wil have a problem with their car. :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.