or take 2008 550i Paddle Shifters M Sport with almost all options
or
take 2008 550i Manual M Sport with limited options

limited means
no shades
no head up display
no night vision

#2 ·
Depends on your driving preference. You can live without those added options. I have HUD and sometimes use it at night on a long trip. That's about it, -nice to have but not essential. I have paddles but almost never use them because the transmission is so intuitive. I just press the gas pedal a bit harder and it downshifts and tears away.
All my previous cars were manual, so at times i do miss it. But it's so easy with the SAT that you get used to it. The auto shifts quicker anyway, so it's a faster set-up. There's also a sport button btw.

#3 ·
Manual all the way. You won't use the Night Vision, likely won't use the shades (get a tint instead). HUD is the one option I wish my car had, but I'd take a manual transmission over the HUD any day.

Assuming everything else is the same? Logic7 sound system, heated seats, etc.???

Keith

#4 · (Edited)
actually i have this car in Europe for one month and i do like all these options

+ cold weather pkg and shades is a must to have for me ( i have 4 year old kid )

what is Logic7 ? if you run VIN decoder its always show HI-FI or HI-FI with DSP
Even on these cras where dealer said Logic7 all i see is HI-FI with DSP in car options ..

#5 · (Edited)
I think Logic 7 is Hi Fi with DSP. It's just Digital Sound Processing which I think gives you theater mode, etc. I don't have it, but I have heard it and it doesn't really do anything for me. The regular stereo is more than adequate for me. To answer the original question, I'd go with the Paddle shifters. I've driven manual trannys in almost all of my previous vehicles, and I agree with Oceans10. I still have my previous manual vehicle, but for long distances I would rather take the 550. Want to go faster, push the pedal a little more and she pulls. A little harder and once she downshifts, she'll pull like a bat outta hell!lol

#10 ·
Logic7 also adds 3 more speakers and has DSP and more wattage outta the amps...

It has DSP so in that regard you're correct but also has more speakers and more power.

#7 ·
Find a manual with all the options you want!

#9 ·
The Nightvision in the e60 isn't perfect, you'll find you'll never use it (I have it and just to illustrate how useless it is I didn't even remember I had it when listing the options my LCI 550i Sport has on Bimmerfest), the HUD on the other hand I use daily. I turned it on the day I bought the car and have not turned it off since. I haven't even looked at the Tach in a long while...

The Manual on the e60 is a great manual, terrific in fact, don't get me wrong, but the clutch delay valve (CDV) overrides what a really good driver would want when it comes to engaging the gear instantly and according to your foot and nothing else. It can be removed but there are mixed feelings about doing so, you can read up on it on many posts here and on 5series . net

The paddle shifters are effortless and the ZF gearbox is a tank, literally. It has been rated at being able to handle up to 500+ hp and I've heard it was partially developed with testing at Nurburgring.

Some people will ONLY drive a manual and there is nothing wrong with that. I am essentially that person, this is the first auto I've ever owned and actually enjoyed. Only a few times have I wished I had a manual, but I know from 7 of the other 8 cars I've owned being manual that there were more times than that I wished I had the ease of a great auto with a legit sport mode and a super legit manu-matic mode...

my $0.02

#11 ·
+1. I was in same boat and never owned an auto before this one.

#12 ·
This was my dilemma last year when I was looking for either an M3 or 550. I eventually found and traveled about 1000 miles this past summer to purchase an e60 550 sport MT in pristine condition with only 24k miles. I have very much enjoyed the manual transmission and not regretted it once. Right now I'm in the process of doing some tasteful mods. Just eliminating the clutch delay valve and putting on a performance exhaust can make a huge difference in the feel of the car.

One thing that may or may not matter to you is that although there may be less individuals looking for a manual transmission, those that would prefer one will travel from anywhere to get it so resale is fairly decent.

You'll have a nice ride either way

#13 ·
I don't even have the sport automatic (2005 model) and I go around thinking that there's no need for a stick. I get the argument in favor, but I think the downside of dealing with a manual outweighs the upside with these modern automatics. You really give up little or no performance, bottom line.

#14 ·
I don't drive a manual for extra performance. I drive a manual for the enjoyment of driving, for actually participating in the driving experience. Every time I make a smooth up shift, or do a nice double-clutch downshift, it's pure enjoyment to me. And, with the BMW, since the clutch and shift linkage is so incredibly good, the enjoyment is magnified. Yes, I know the auto is smoother, gives better mileage, and likely is faster, particularly off the line. I drive 40 miles one way to work every day, through some of the worst traffic LA has to offer (anybody who lives in LA, try the 210 East through Pasadena on Friday evening!!!), and I still wouldn't trade for an automatic. I know I'm in the minority here, and when it comes time to buy my next car, I may struggle to find something I really want with a manual, but until that happens, it's three pedals for me!! PS - really wish I had the HUD though.

Now, it's off to search for info on this "clutch delay valve".....never heard of that before, so want to find out what it's doing to me!!

Keith

#15 ·
I don't drive a manual for extra performance. I drive a manual for the enjoyment of driving, for actually participating in the driving experience. Every time I make a smooth up shift, or do a nice double-clutch downshift, it's pure enjoyment to me. And, with the BMW, since the clutch and shift linkage is so incredibly good, the enjoyment is magnified. Yes, I know the auto is smoother, gives better mileage, and likely is faster, particularly off the line. I drive 40 miles one way to work every day, through some of the worst traffic LA has to offer (anybody who lives in LA, try the 210 East through Pasadena on Friday evening!!!), and I still wouldn't trade for an automatic. I know I'm in the minority here, and when it comes time to buy my next car, I may struggle to find something I really want with a manual, but until that happens, it's three pedals for me!! PS - really wish I had the HUD though.

Now, it's off to search for info on this "clutch delay valve".....never heard of that before, so want to find out what it's doing to me!!

Keith
I have a manual and want to know more about this clutch delay value. I heard of some kind of thing you put under the dash to take out the dead space from when you start to press down the clutch.

#17 ·
I had a 540 Msport (manual) and a 550 w/ SAT and now I own a DCT M3 so you can guess what my response will be. 1/2 of my driving has been done on manuals and one car was a DD which I also I ran 1/4 mile racer for many years. In my opinion, manual vs. auto is completely a personal preference. I did enjoy the 540 M-sport and did miss it when I went to the 545 but when I got the 550 SAT I found it to be a perfect medium for me. If I wanted to thrash it using the manual option i could. Just hit the sport button and switch it to DS and you have extremely fast and responsive shifts while giving you complete gear control(except for red line auto-shift). The 550 SAT is what lead me to compare the 6mt vs DCT in the M3 and I felt the DCT was by far the best choice. If you look at the 550 as a luxury race car, then the 6mt is your choice. If you want a sporty luxury car which can turn into a race car the the SAT is the choice.

I have HUD in my X5 and I love it but my M3 does not have it but then again the engine is worth not having the HUD. I drove my dad's 650 many times and he had night vision which I used once and that was about it. I would never pay to have this in my car. I had shades in the 545 and 550 and in my X5 but I don't miss the shades in my M3.

#18 · (Edited)
I voted for auto sport, but I'm still trying to convince myself it's better than my old 540i6spd. There's just something I miss about being connected to the car with both feet. My left foot is very bored and just kinda hangs out with nothing to do when I'm driving my automatic. It needs purpose, not a foot rest.

However, as much as I like my old manual... if you're going to have an auto, the ZF is the best trans made for any car less than 75k. It's the cleanest, fastest shifting transmission you'll find.

This Summer I drove (over 1100 miles) up the PCH from Santa Barbara through northern Oregon and couldn't have been happier using my paddles. Shifts from 2 to 3, back and forth were a breeze. It's quick shifting gives you the time to focus on driving, not which gear I need to slam it into, or forget to find. Everything is at your finger tips. Even when not using the sport shifting, it finds the right gear.

Now if I had an M5, that's a much different story, there's no way in hell I'd take an auto. That's just plain crazy.

#19 ·
Here's a Wikipedia list of cars that use the ZF 6 speed auto we have in the E60.
Bentley, Jag, Maserati, Rolls Royce, Audi, VW Phaeton (12 cyl). It's a statement of build quality and power rating.

ZF 6HP26

Two-wheel drive version:
2001***8211;2008 BMW E65/E66 7 Series
2002***8211;2005 Jaguar XK8/XKR
2002***8211;2008 Jaguar S-Type
2003***8211;present Jaguar XJ
2003***8211;present BMW E63/E64 6 Series
2003***8211;present Range Rover
2003-2012 Rolls-Royce Phantom (2003)
2007-present Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé
2004***8211;2006 BMW E53 X5 V8
2003***8211;present BMW E60 5 Series
2005***8211;present BMW E90 3 Series
2005***8211;present Land Rover Discovery
2005***8211;present Ford Falcon (BF, FG)
2005***8211;present Ford Territory (AWD Versions)
2005***8211;2008 Lincoln Navigator
2006***8211;present Jaguar XK/XKR
2006***8211;present Range Rover Sport
2007***8211;present BMW E70 X5
2007***8211;present Maserati Quattroporte
2008***8211;2012 BMW F01/02 7 Series (except 760i/Li and Hybrid 7)
2008***8211;2011 Kia Mohave
2009***8211;present Hyundai Genesis V8 4.6L
2009***8211;present Jaguar XF

[edit] 6HP26A

Four-wheel drive version used in Audi, Volkswagen Passenger Cars and Bentley marques of the Volkswagen Group:
2002***8211;present Volkswagen Phaeton (Typ 3D)
2003***8211;2009 Audi A8 (D3, Typ 4E)
2003***8211;present Bentley Continental GT
2005***8211;present Bentley Continental Flying Spur
2006***8211;present Audi S6 (C6, Typ 4F)
2008***8211;2010 Audi RS6 (C6, Typ 4F)

#21 ·
I track my mileage every time I fill up. I drive 80% of the time on the freeway, but a lot of that is stop and go (I live in Los Angeles, go figure!!), and I'm averaging about 20.5 mpg. My dashboard tells me I'm getting 22.4, but the math says different. I've gotten as high as 25 indicated (figure 23 calculated) on a long freeway trip at 75 mph, and as low as 16 mpg on mostly city driving. I'm typically pretty light on the throttle, with an occasional blast up through the gears just to blow the cobwebs out (both the car and me).

Keith

#22 ·
I like toys, and because of that I like paddle shifters! My company sells paddle shifters for classic cars, your fingers are MUCH faster than a whole arm movement. Either way you go you're going to get a great car, it just depends on what toys you need. But one thing to keep in mind is resale value. Quick story, I watch true 1967 Camaro RS models go for $55,000+, but base model 67 Camaros for about $25,000, and that was only a few hundred dollar option back in 67. Do you think when you go to sell it, you'll get more out of a fully loaded, or limited option model? That's rhetorical, obviously the fully loaded model. If you're ever planning on selling it, resale value should always be a consideration.

#23 ·
But one thing to keep in mind is resale value. If you're ever planning on selling it, resale value should always be a consideration.
This is actually a really good point. A manual transmission will greatly limit who will buy your car when it comes time to sell. You'll have to find a fanatic (like me) who will only buy a manual trans car, and there aren't too many like me (although, there are more than I thought, watching these threads).

Keith

#25 ·
When I had an automatic, I always wished I had a clutch pedal instead. I never wished I had an automatic when I am driving a clutch pedal. I think having the third clutch is a key distinction, since the new clutchless transmissions are so advanced.

Another thing to consider is that a clutch is less complicated and will require less expensive repairs.

So personally I like manuals with a clutch.

#27 · (Edited)
So drove 7 550i in last 2 weeks and decided to go for the last E60 generaion 2010 M 550i M Sport SAT
This car feels and drives different from 2008-2009 year + all latest software goodies
Found local private owner with all options i wanted and gave him deposit , need to wait one more week to finalized title / payment :D

2010 550i M SPort 35k miles

Options
Type code NW53
Type 550I (USA)
E series E60 (MUE)
Series 5
Type LIM
Steering LL
Doors 4
Engine N62/TU
Displacement 4.80
Power 270
Drive HECK
Transmission AUT
Colour CARBONSCHWARZ METALLIC (416)
Upholstery LEDER DAKOTA/SCHWARZ (LCSW)
Prod.date 2009-07-30

Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S217A AKTIVLENKUNG Active steering
S229A DYNAMIC DRIVE Dynamic Drive
S248A LENKRADHEIZUNG Steering wheel heater
S2NNA M LM R.DOPPELSP.172 M/MISCHB. BMW alloy wheel, M double spoke 172
S2TBA SPORT-AUTOMATIK GETRIEBE Sport automatic transmission
S2VBA REIFENDRUCKANZEIGE Tire pressure display
S300A NOTRAD Emergency spare wheel
S319A INTEGRIERTE UNIVERSAL-FERNBEDIENUNG Integrated universal remote control
S322A KOMFORTZUGANG Comfort access
P337A M SPORTPAKET M Sports package
S339A SHADOW LINE Shadow-Line
S403A GLASDACH, ELEKTRISCH Glass roof, electrical
S415A SONNENSCHUTZROLLO FUER HECKSCHEIBE Sun-blind, rear
S416A SONNENSCHUTZROLLOS Roller sun vizor, rear lateral

S430A INNEN-/AUSSENSPIEGEL AUT.ABBLENDEND Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S431A INNENSPIEGEL,AUTOMATISCH ABBLENDEND Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S441A RAUCHERPAKET Smoker package
S456A KOMFORTSITZE ELEKTRISCH VERSTELLBAR Comfort seat with memory
S494A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Seat heating driver/passenger
S4BYA EDELHOLZAUSF.BAMBUS MASER ANTHRAZIT Real Bamboo wood-grain trim, anthracite
S502A SCHEINWERFER-WASCHANLAGE Headlight cleaning system
S508A PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) Park Distance Control (PDC)
S522A XENON-LICHT Xenon Light
S524A ADAPTIVES KURVENLICHT Adaptive Headlights
SS609A NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM PROFESSIONAL Navigation system Professional
S610A HEAD-UP DISPLAY Head-up display

S615A ERWEITERTE BMW ONLINE INFORMATION Expanded BMW Online Information
S620A SPRACHEINGABESYSTEM Voice control
S639A KOMPLETTVORB. HANDY USA/CDN Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
653A HIGH DEFINITION RADIO High Definition Radio
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S655A SATELLITENTUNER Satellite tuner
S677A HIFI SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL HiFi System Professional DSP
S697A AREA-CODE 1 Area-Code 1 for DVD
S6AAA BMW TELESERVICES BMW TeleServices
S6ABA STEUERUNG TELESERVICES Control for Teleservices
S6FLA USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE USB/Audio interface
S6UHA TRAFFIC INFORMATION Traffic Information
S704A M SPORTFAHRWERK M Sports suspension
S710A M LEDERLENKRAD M leather steering wheel
S715A M AERODYNAMIKPAKET M Aerodynamics package

S775A INDIVIDUAL DACHHIMMEL ANTHRAZIT Headlining anthracite
S8S4A DECODIERUNG VARIABLE LICHTVERTEILUN Decoding variable light distribution
S8SCA LAENDERSPEZ. TELESERVICEFREISCH. Telematics access request,country-spec.
S8SPA COP STEUERUNG Control unit COP
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Transport protection package
S302A ALARMANLAGE Alarm system
S442A GETRAENKEHALTER Cup holder
S473A ARMAUFLAGE VORN Armrest front
S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning
S544A GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGEL. MIT BREMSF. Cruise control with brake function
S563A LICHTPAKET Light package
S645A RADIO-STEUERUNG US BMW US Radio
S823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG Hot-climate version
S845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG Acoustic belt warning
S850A ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT Additional Export tank filling
S853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH Language version English
S876A FUNKFREQUENZ 315 MHZ Radio frequency 315 MHz
S992A STEUERUNG KENNZEICHENBEFESTIGUNG Control of number-plate attachment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.