BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2015 Q5 v X3

8K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  maverick2015 
#1 ·
Hey forum!

New member here but certainly not new to car forums and vehicles. I would however be a new owner of a BMW vehicle. I just shopped, and leased with my girl, a new 3 series xdrive. I had never been a believer in BMW, but after driving it substantially, I have gown to love it and now get it, I guess.

I am in the market for an Audi Q5. But, after doing research, it looks like the X3 is ranked #1 in this segment by almost everyone everywhere. I have owned premium SUV's in the past, including the first gen RDX (not so premium) which was awesome to drive but short on lux, comfort, and MPG. I really want something with sporting intentions, which lead me to the Q5 sported out, or the X3 M Sport.

Basically it comes down to these two. I have driven both, but not an M Sport yet (trying to find a dealer with one).

I am open to all of your thoughts on this comparo. I searched the forum and read a lot of past reviews, but didn't see too much talk on the 2015 M Sport.

A big thing for me is seat comfort. I thought the regular X3 seats were not good and in fact uncomfortable. I could not picture buying this vehicle without the Sport seats, which unfortunately are only available in the M Sport line. Hence, the M Sport comparo.

I do love the Audi interior, seats, and looks - but feel as though it comes up short with options (altho looks a little cheaper). Thoughts on X drive vs Quattro (I do travel and live in the northeast and given our last few winters, this matters a lot to me), reliability, and really anything you might think would make this decision easier.

It does not come down to just $$. I shopped apples to apples and the BMW offered what seems a lot more equipment than the Audi for similar money. The Audi is also up for redesign and I will be buying, not leasing.

Loaded post, but please don't hold back, both seem to be great cars but would love some owner opinions.

Thanks so much! :dunno:

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I apologize..looks like this might have double posted, in an area with terrible service

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I am the owner (not lessee) of a 2015 X3 M Sport. I'm not new to the brand and have also owned numerous premium or near-premium SUVs, SAVs, and CUVs (2014 M-B ML350, 2011 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2011 M-B GLK350 AMG-pkg., 2011 X5 xDrive50i, 2005 Lexus RX330).

Before I proceed, I will say that I am a real estate broker and have known and currently know colleagues with current Audi products. Some swear by them, others have had serious oil-burning issues with the 2.0 turbo four cylinder engine. So much so Audi bought back a 2011 A4 and now my colleague is in a 2013 that while burns less oil, still burns a quart every few thousand miles. My family in Vail, CO has driven Audi's since the 1990's; I can't say that even one of them was considered any more than mediocre when it came to dependability and reliability. They're now driving Fords, which that is an entirely different topic, but they left Audi with the intent to never buy another, after nearly 30 years with them.

Now, about the X3.

SEATS: In my opinion, there is no other option than to get the sport seats (only available in the M Sport pkg). They're vastly more comfortable than the standard seats. Our X5 did not have them and we always wished it had. My '06 330xi had them, again, loved them. They likely don't work for all body types, so certainly worth trying out over an extended test drive. I am 5'10, nearly 170 lbs.

COMFORT: With the dynamic handling package, our X3 is just as composed, solid and absorbs bumps as well as its stablemate, a 2014 ML350. This surprised me as I was fully anticipating the more harsh/unsettled ride of our past BMWs. DHP's enhanced sport-mode also changes this from a tame cruiser to an all-out beast, regardless of 28i or 35i engine. A very well spent $1,300.

EFFICIENCY: Coming from a very thirsty X5 50i and an unreasonably thirsty (for its size/power) M-B GLK350, this was important to me as I was over the constant fill-ups. I drive primarily urban city traffic (read: stop signs and stop lights every few blocks) and I have yet to see my MPG in the teens -- and this engine has yet to break 2,000 miles. Seriously impressive for a quite heavy, sporty SAV with AWD. Yes, I have what some here consider the "lesser" engine, but I test drove both several times and decided for me the 28i was the clear winner. Maybe it's after owning the X5 50i (twin turbo V8) that I became more practical and reasonable?

TECH: I'm barely 30, and coming from my GLK daily driver to this ... decent learning curve here. Not necessarily a bad thing, but by model year '15 and selecting nearly every option, BMW has done an excellent job (I feel) with providing top level tech available. Where the Benz was simple and straight forward, this is highly customizable, intuitive and darn right sexy in execution. I really missed my time behind the wheel of this brand.

SIZE: For me and my needs, the X3 is ideal. I found the GLK too tight for 4 or 5 -- X3 is spot-on. It doesn't have gobs and gobs of excess room, but it isn't tight either. I have been in Q5s several times and feel they're about in-between the X3 and GLK size-wise. Parked next to our ML350, yep ... this SAV is certainly more compact.

PARKING/TURNING: City and parallel parking, while not difficult with the top-view camera, can prove more challenging than even the ML350 due to the not-so-great turning radius. This is one of my biggest complaints about the X3. This is something I feel you don't/won't notice on a test drive, but rather when you live with the vehicle on a day to day basis.

I almost pulled the trigger back in 2013 on an X3 M Sport, I am so happy to have waited for this LCI (refresh/facelift). The changes are truly premium in nature and the new options are very worthwhile. I personally love the front of the 2015 M Sport, while the prior years just looked less aggressive -- albeit still very nice vehicles.

All in all, I don't think I could have selected a better vehicle. It just feels like the jack-of-all-trades, without giving much up in return.

Good luck in your decision!

#4 ·
I just picked up my X3 35 this morning trading in a 2004 Touareg V8. had looked at the Q5. although I did not try the SQ5, I thought my '04 drove better than the '15 Q5 v6 turbo. I also felt that I was almost in the same vehicle, just smaller.

The x3 was definitely a better drive than my Touareg and the Q5, imho.

Only have 20 miles on my new car. waiting to get out of work in next 5 minutes to go driving!

#6 ·
Zagil - thanks so much. That was very informative. I am 5'10 as well same height and similar age so exactly the sort of thing that helps.

And i too was looking at the 28i - felt it to be way more than adequate on all accounts.

Anyone here have the mocha interior? I read on the forum the saddle was more orange than saddle..any thoughts on the mocha?

#22 ·
Zagil - thanks so much. That was very informative. I am 5'10 as well same height and similar age so exactly the sort of thing that helps.

And i too was looking at the 28i - felt it to be way more than adequate on all accounts.

Anyone here have the mocha interior? I read on the forum the saddle was more orange than saddle..any thoughts on the mocha?

Mocha looks nice with the orange stitches. Unfortunately I am not too impressed with the seats. We went on road trip last weekend and after two hours I felt discomfort in my legs.

#7 ·
Looks like the other thread will be deleted, here's my post over there:
We have the sport seats and it's not a M sport. HATE THEM!!!!!!! Worst invention ever. I'm 6' 200lbs not fat, they squeeze the sh!t out of me, I want to jump out of the car after 50 miles but too late, we're stuck with it. I'm probably going to cut a foam padding thing to push me forward a bit in the seat so there's less pressure on my sides, not the thing you want to do in a premium vehicle but oh well.

My advise if you're not someone who has thick black framed glasses and wears skinny jeans, sit in them for a while before you purchase them. Take it for a long drive because they're deceiving at first.

Other than that, we had an Audi and had a loaner Q5 for a while and didn't like anything about it, not much to go on sorry but wasn't a big fan...I basically think we're done with Audi.

BTW...we had an oil burner Audi that zagil9 posted about, took it back 8000 times until they finally replaced the engine...worked fine after that, but who the frick wants to go through that? They've known about this for years too, doesn't say much about a car company if that's how they adjust manufacturing processes based on service records and feedback. I'd rather drive a Ford like zagil9's family than get another Audi.

#9 ·
Looks like the other thread will be deleted, here's my post over there:
We have the sport seats and it's not a M sport. HATE THEM!!!!!!! Worst invention ever. I'm 6' 200lbs not fat, they squeeze the sh!t out of me, I want to jump out of the car after 50 miles but too late, we're stuck with it. I'm probably going to cut a foam padding thing to push me forward a bit in the seat so there's less pressure on my sides, not the thing you want to do in a premium vehicle but oh well.

My advise if you're not someone who has thick black framed glasses and wears skinny jeans, sit in them for a while before you purchase them. Take it for a long drive because they're deceiving at first.

Other than that, we had an Audi and had a loaner Q5 for a while and didn't like anything about it, not much to go on sorry but wasn't a big fan...I basically think we're done with Audi.

BTW...we had an oil burner Audi that zagil9 posted about, took it back 8000 times until they finally replaced the engine...worked fine after that, but who the frick wants to go through that? They've known about this for years too, doesn't say much about a car company if that's how they adjust manufacturing processes based on service records and feedback. I'd rather drive a Ford like zagil9's family than get another Audi.
I take it you know the sides are adjustable? I'm 6'2", 230lbs. If fully open I love them...,

#11 ·
Zagil- I'll be driving essentially all urban - whats your MPG like
I use the Eco Pro setting pretty often (I'm one of the very few here that doesn't mind it). I have been achieving very low 20's. Typically I have a few short highway jaunts in there and that pulls it up to around 23, sometimes a little higher. I haven't done much highway cruising yet but when I brought it home from the dealer (roughly 20 miles highway) it was doing around 30 MPG ... very light foot as it had practically no miles on it.

I have saddle brown/black and it definitely looks orange in most pictures. I've heard camera flashes are what inaccurately skew the photos. I was worried after I ordered it and nearly switched but after receiving my car and having it for a few months now, I am in love with it! I don't think I've had a single passenger who hasn't commented about how cool it is. Such a departure from the tan/black or black/black combo we've typically gone with. Mocha seems like a great choice, certainly much darker and less of a two-tone look (good/bad just depending on what appeals to you). I've seen it in person and it almost has a slight red hue to it, where saddle has the medium brown with a slight orange hue (like a baseball glove).

#12 ·
2014 X3 m sport, 3.5

I have just over 7000 kms (Canada) its Ok as a car, WORST Nav in world, belongs in a 1980s Lada, Milage is worse than my 07 335 couple (Manual) sound system is as good as 335 coupe high end.I will be getting rid of it soon as I can't stand the Nav and it upsets me too much!BMW should be ashamed to have such a poor Nav system!

Good luck

#13 ·
I have just over 7000 kms (Canada) its Ok as a car, WORST Nav in world, belongs in a 1980s Lada, Milage is worse than my 07 335 couple (Manual) sound system is as good as 335 coupe high end.I will be getting rid of it soon as I can't stand the Nav and it upsets me too much!BMW should be ashamed to have such a poor Nav system!

Good luck
But boy that picture angle makes that LCI look like a CLASSY vehicle!

#23 ·
My girl has a 3 series m sport loaner right now. So of course I sat in the seats. I have to say, i felt as though they are still uncomfortable. Better lateral support but virtually no difference in the back/upper back. A little disappointing, although maybe the x3's seats are different entirely.

#24 ·
We test drove and compared Q5 extensively before buying the X3. If you're looking at the 2.0 vs. 28i, the X3 is the way to go. Better engine, better suspension = better handling and more fun to drive. If you're thinking 35i, I would seriously consider the Q5 TDI. Great engine, good suspension (much better than the 2.0) and excellent fuel economy. I think the only thing I liked more about the audi was that you could get side assist without having to spend 2k on a package. I used to think the audi MMI Nav was superior but after having our LCI 2015 for 2 weeks, I'll say the newer bmw nav is great. You really can't go wrong, they're both good cars. One is just a little better ;)

#33 ·
No issues in my 2014 X3 M-sport

#36 · (Edited)
There is a difference, my buddy's M package 3 series has sport seats and they fit me better, that's why I didn't give them a second thought when we picked out the X. Sorry I did, don't like them one bit. He'll be back from vaca next week, I'll get some specific differences from him if you want, he has an X too so he can give me the details on the differences.

Making our first trip to MD from CT tomorrow, hoping I don't fidget too much.

#38 ·
Have any of you recently traded a newer (2011+) X3? Curious as to resale - I plugged some hypothetical KBB numbers in...it seems to retain pretty good value but was wondering how dealers have responded.

Reason being, I am debating buying this X3 right now, and quite possibly unwinding it when the new Q5 hits market..I know I will take a small hit, but think it might be the best way to retain equity. Or, trade my car, do a 2 year lease on an X3, and essentially have my trade pay the lease payments for the next year, which isn't that bad either. Not sure what to do, it sucks because I do not want to go into this winter without a truck/awd, but do not want to wait another season to see what happens with the Audi while slogging through winter with FWD.

#40 ·
If your goal is to buy the next gen Q5, I would wait a year or two after the initial release. I believe this model will be built from their new facility in Mexico. Aside from the typical problems associated with a new model, there could be additional issues attributed to a new manufacturing line. Also I can see the buy price hovering around MSRP (less loyalty or conquest).

In in my opinion, go with a 3-year lease on the X3 (assuming that you like it). Use the trade-in as a separate transaction and put down 7 MSD's and the remainder in the bank. This would provide you with protection against a drop in valuation. During that time you would have ample time to look at the next gen Q5 and other vehicles and decide if that's the direction for you.

BTW, I am in a similar position except that my wife and I are debating who's going to get the 3-series vs. X3. Though I will be keeping the car in my signature. You are correct, finding a X3 with the M sport in the New England area is difficult if not impossible.

Final thought, the residual values on the X3 are bad. The values should improve as the MY14's are no longer in inventory. Perhaps within the next month or two.

#42 · (Edited)
Hello,

I picked up a 2015 X3 3.5 with the M package a couple of weeks ago and have been very pleased so far. I actually hd gone in to look at the X5 but my sales guy that I have bought from before told me I should check out the new X3.

I probably would not have bought one without the M package as I am not really sold on the looks without it, but the sport seats that come with the package are great. I am 6'2", fit and I fit perfectly. Also very happy with the HK stereo option, sounds great.

Milage is probably lower than expected but wasn't really a factor in my purchase and I probably drive harder than most would. I don't like the auto start/stop feature and leave is off and I have heard thats where you get a lot of milage gain.

Over all though very happy, drives great!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Motor vehicle

#43 ·
Hello,

I picked up a 2015 X3 3.5 with the M package a couple of weeks ago and have been very pleased so far. I actually hd gone in to look at the X5 but my sales guy that I have bought from before told me I should check out the new X3.

I probably would not have bought one without the M package as I am not really sold on the looks without it, but the sport seats that come with the package are great. I am 6'2", fit and I fit perfectly. Also very happy with the HK stereo option, sounds great.

Milage is probably lower than expected but wasn't really a factor in my purchase and I probably drive harder than most would. I don't like the auto start/stop feature and leave is off and I have heard thats where you get a lot of milage gain.

Over all though very happy, drives great!
View attachment 460036
Congrats you did the right thing!
:thumbup: X3 is the leader in its segment, even compared to the more luxurious Macan.
The Size and Overall of it its so balanced to fit 4 tall adults, with someone in the middle, enough cargo, great handling, looker and fun.

#45 ·
BMW Seats - interesting to see the views. I have a 2012 GT with Comfort seats and have always felt they were too stiff and the bottom flat and deep, making me feel like I was sitting in a hole. After about an hour, I need to get out and adjust.... I actually have added padding by sitting on a towel. I'm looking at a X5 with sport seats and VERY nervous about it.

I can get in my Lexus and Toyota - no problem with seats...... I am 6' and 200lbs.

#46 · (Edited)
I'm looking at a X5 with sport seats and VERY nervous about it.
Grab a book/magazine and sit in it for a while, that's all I could suggest. It comes down to body types, nothing else. If you're in it for a half hour or so and they don't pinch you then you're probably good to go, at that point I'd take it for a drive so you can feel how they are during active driving. Make sure they are at their widest setting though, the button is forward of the ones on the lateral side, it's on the beginning of the radius to the front part of the seat.

We had our first trip in it yesterday, I drove it from CT to MD then sat in the passenger seat on the way back, thanks to traffic on the wonderful NJ Turnpike it was over 11 hours in the car. Driving wasn't as bad as I thought because my arm(s) was forward holding the wheel which seemed to pull my back off the sides a bit. On the way back I was talking to the passengers in the back and was slightly turned in the seat which relieved pressure from the side bolsters. It didn't bother me as much as I thought but without question I wish they went wider.

I wonder what they'll be like with winter clothing on.

Edit: Disclaimer, I don't have any experience in the standard seats so I don't have any basis for comparison, these are just my thoughts on the sport seats.

#48 ·
We are in the process of buying a 2015 Audi Q5, and have ruled out the X3, outside chance if the deals fall through that we could reluctantly choose Volvo XC60 instead. I'm 5ft 11in 165lb, standard X3 seats are all we can find in our region. They are okay, but nothing special, and the total seating position is part of the issue. The primary driver is five inches shorter and has the same issues, and strongly dislikes runflat tires for our needs.

Q5 seats are very comfortable, and the total seating position is more suitable for both of us. Having driven both and play-acted their utility functions how we would typically use them, the Audi is a fully capable driver and seems more natural to load up and configure, has great build quality and attractive materials, and is packaged more in line with our desires. We have family and friends who have loved their bulletproof reliability and more than acceptable fuel economy with the 2.0T, but are in the process of locating a 3.0T or TDI instead, those are just great engines. We are buying for long term ownership, not leasing. We have more and better options for Audi dealerships and independent mechanics than BMW, too.

Should there be a problem getting exactly what we want in a Q5, Volvo XC60 is the fallback position. The main reason is the wonderfully comfortable seats, the rest of the vehicle is less desirable than X3 or Q5.

If I were in your position, don't be waiting around for the next generation Q5. This generation has been developed and improved, is really well made and has more predictable reliability (our family and friends have racked up some serious miles with nothing but routine maintenance), and is fully competitive in features, function, comfort, and room. The new one is a couple of years off, will start the development cycle all over again, and will be made in a new factory, not sure I would want to own one the first couple of model years, but have no qualms about the current Q5.

In fact, there are times I wish I had got a Q5 TDI instead of the 328xd, mostly because of the difference in seating comfort. A ride recently in someone's new A6 had me loving those seats, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.