BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What is wrong?

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Crawlings 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 M3 Convt with 38K miles. I have an SMG. My shifting has started to act up and yesterday the car flat out died three times when shifting DOWN as I came to a stop. It shifts very hard between 3-2 when going down, but now when it shifts down from 3-2-1 the car just flat out dies. Shifting up does not have any problems, and going from 6-3 is ok, but when it goes down past that and I come to a stop the car dies. Any one know what is wrong?

#7 ·
If you've got a 2003, you should still be under warranty (hopefully). Take it to the dealership and let them figure it out.

#8 ·
Looks like you have a problem with the coil packs and not SMG. When the coil packs (6 of them) go out, the car will go into "limp" mode causing a reduction in power and SMG to act up. The coils are a known problem and they had a service bulletin to replace them all with a new brand that are warrantied for 6 yrs/100K miles. Take it to the dealer as the car will soon not run at all.

#11 ·
No

I am not the original owner of this one. I had two new ones before, and a 330Cic I bought new, but decided to get preowned since the new model would be out in a few years and I intend on buying it. I have owned this one for 1.5 years. But I have never driven the thing over 75, nor storm around town, etc. Basically drive a race car like a grandma. (Sad huh). But the original owner bought it in Sep 02---I know because I know him. It has never been driven hard, at all---and it is mint and gorgeous.

#12 ·
That's the problem then! You gotta let it breathe every now and then! :thumbup:

These cars are meant to rip through the gears and get down on it every now and then. Anything less is uncivilized.

(Disclaimer: just do it responsibly or on a track.)

#13 ·
I took it in today, and they said the computer first stated I ran out of gas. Which is not true, then finally they said it was a temperature sensor in the exhaust that said I was running at 302 degrees celcius. I just had the exhaust replaced this summer because the dealer said BMW had an "as needed" recall. My car was fine, they just wanted the gravy money from my warranty. The current problem is related to what they supposedly fixed when they changed the exhaust. Should take no more than 30 minutes to fix. I did run it down the freeway the other day about 110 in fifth gear. I got cold feet, and slowed down. My heart was pounding about 150 beats a minute. Otherwise, I am a grandma driver, would rather go slow and be adored than fast and find myself with even higher insurance rates and without a license. :bigpimp:

#14 ·
I'm not much on going fast in a straight line myself. Where I get myself in to trouble is on the twisties :) Usually it's only deer that will get me in trouble there though.

Invest in a Valentine One if you're worried about tickets. It works. Seriously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.