BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E39 love

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Bandem 
#1 ·
Greetings, name's John. Just registered and wanted to say hello.

I bought an '03 530 in May and have been loving driving ever since. It's an auto with 101k miles, but checked out and drives much nicer than the other 5 I looked at over the last year or so. Options include M sports suspension, Steptronic, Style 42 wheels, 16x9 navigation, Xenon headlights, sports seats, M-Tech rear spoiler. It's Sterlinggrau metallic with grey interior and the only exterior blemishes are some hood scratches/dings.

What I've done since purchase includes the requisite cooling system replacement, belts, oil & filter, valve cover gasket, front plate delete, re-surface headlights, NAV flash, new hood emblem, LED AE's and stealth side markers. Next projects are VANOS seals, transmission fluid & filter, a few door seals, factory Bluetooth, and audio upgrades (DSP amp, sub, replace OEM speakers)

Well, thanks for all the great DIYs and knowledge here, I just love my E39 :drive:

Cheers,
John

#6 ·
Congrats enjoy the ride!

#8 ·
In a 530i :dunno:

I know hypothetically its possible that the 330i 6 speed should fit. I don't think anyone as actually done it

#11 ·
I can understand the dislike of the automatic transmission in an enthusiast sports car, if that's how we all agree an E39 should be classified. All the BMW forums I've visited seem to be pre-disposed against autos, which is fine by me. However, in my case, I'm getting old.......I've spent the last twenty years driving a stick, my left foot is TIRED. The steptronic computer can do things WAY faster and with more precision than my old decaying brain can. I'm not into chirping tires to get attention or having to feather the clutch on a hill, I'm just at a different point in my life. I don't take it to the track and I rarely exceed posted speed limits on purpose. Call me boring or old fashioned, hell, call me stupid and ignorant, don't bother me none. I am just looking for a more relaxed, connected experience on my daily commutes to and from the office, and my auto delivers that in spades! Just flicking into sport mode gives me about the same engine braking I had in my last stick, how's that saying go; "to each thier own"

Swapping out the transmission sounds like WAY more than a "mod", sounds like the car would be non-op for a month or more while all the details are ironed out, no thanks, I'll keep my old-man auto. :amish:

#10 ·
That's kind of stupid. 5 speed to 6 speed. What's the big deal ?. I don't use 5th gear ever. If it was an automatic swap to 6 speed Would make sense

#14 ·
Its a really big deal. 5th gear on the highway runs at too high RPM's. You aren't a highway commuter are you? And if you're in 4th at 75mph then that doesn't make sense. Especially if you have a shorter differential ratio. 6th gear is great for highway. Also, the 6-speeds like ones in the 540 or the 3 series had slightly sportier and shorter ratio's for better acceleration. And lastely, if your transmission is old and ready to fail...then why not just get the 6-speed. Oh and in addition, the M54's have major problems with consuming Oil. For a highway commuter, having a 6th gear to keep RPM's low will help reduce oil burning in the combustion chamber and prolong the life of your cat converters. I think you aren't thinking all of the possible scenarios through before stating bold opinion.

I can understand the dislike of the automatic transmission in an enthusiast sports car, if that's how we all agree an E39 should be classified. All the BMW forums I've visited seem to be pre-disposed against autos, which is fine by me. However, in my case, I'm getting old.......I've spent the last twenty years driving a stick, my left foot is TIRED. The steptronic computer can do things WAY faster and with more precision than my old decaying brain can. I'm not into chirping tires to get attention or having to feather the clutch on a hill, I'm just at a different point in my life. I don't take it to the track and I rarely exceed posted speed limits on purpose. Call me boring or old fashioned, hell, call me stupid and ignorant, don't bother me none. I am just looking for a more relaxed, connected experience on my daily commutes to and from the office, and my auto delivers that in spades! Just flicking into sport mode gives me about the same engine braking I had in my last stick, how's that saying go; "to each thier own"

Swapping out the transmission sounds like WAY more than a "mod", sounds like the car would be non-op for a month or more while all the details are ironed out, no thanks, I'll keep my old-man auto. :amish:
You are lookg into buying a 530i with a sports suspension, sport wheels, sport seats, M-Tech spoiler and you're looking to replace your VANOS. To anybody who reads the OP, it seems like you're looking for performance so its only natural for my response to be putting a manual into it.

I reacted to your OP as such. If you stated you wanted a comfortable 530i with 16'' rims, soft suspension...etc. Then I wouldn't say a word about manual, because it shows you aren't interested in performance or connection.

Also, don't compare me to most "BMW" enthusiasts. I have nothing against manual or auto's. I think they are meant to be suited to one's own needs. Just, because I recommended it in your situation does not mean I generally support manuals. If you look at some post history you will see me being a staunch defender of the Automatic when people start insulting itself or the people driving it.

#12 ·
I have a 6 speed sometimes when I tired I wish I had an auto because I'm lazy. I disagree with your statement about steptronic being quick I find it pretty slow to respond to my commands compared to a stick. The double clutch gearbox would be nice. You get auto when you want it and manual when you want it. The gear changes are suppose to be super quick. The only problem I am aware of is that in city driving its like someone who is learning how to shift like a bucking bronco.

#16 · (Edited)
I'm sorry if I offended you, I appreciate your input, regardless if we agree or not. :thumbup:

-John
Thats fine haha. Just know that I'll never attack or condescend on anybody who chooses a certain type of car or transmission rather then another. Everybody has a different situation and needs. Just didn't want you thinking of me in a way that I'm not.

-Unless you have any symptoms of VANOS failure, I see no reason to change it unless you want better performance. I know a person with like (150,000? miles) on their M54 and it drives fine with no symptoms. If you cared about fuel economy, you should've at least bought a 1 or 3 series or a 525i not to mention not even buying a BMW period. If the car starts fine and shows no idle roughs or complete lack of power at lower RPM's or any major fuel economy deficits then I cannot see a reason to fix VANOS.

The price you pay to fix the VANOS will never be returned on the price you save on the "Increased" fuel economy unless you keep the car for a LONG time or you rack up ridiculous mileage. On top of that, it will not add any significant value to the car. Used E39's are worth less then the dirt on the bottom of my shoe for the outstanding quality that they are, but they cost more to maintain then some people's houses. Just trust me, fuel economy is the LEAST of your expense concerns with a 100k+ miles, because many things can start to fail. If you commute a great deal on the other hand, then a Japanese hybrid maybe for you. A Volkswagen Golf is also a great "Drivers" car and also economical. Honestly...anything other then a ridiculously overweight ancient E39 well out of its stock spec due to age.

If "performance" isn't your concern, flush that transmission fluid and make sure your fundamental suspension components (because you suspension is nowhere close to what it was when it was new unless it was overhauled) for safety are operating properly and keep up with regular maintenance and it will get you from A to B.

I am really getting mixed signals or perhaps I am confused something, but based on what you've said it seems to me you bought the wrong car for your expectations/needs.

#18 ·
-Unless you have any symptoms of VANOS failure, I see no reason to change it unless you want better performance. I know a person with like (150,000? miles) on their M54 and it drives fine with no symptoms.
No major symptoms, no. It does have a slightly rough idle for the first minute or so on warm up, but I expect it's ICV/CCV and or DISA related, going to closely inspect the CCV system next time I'm under the hood. Already subscribed to bluebee's excellent collection thread.

The price you pay to fix the VANOS will never be returned on the price you save on the "Increased" fuel economy unless you keep the car for a LONG time or you rack up ridiculous mileage.
I would do the work myself, so the only cost would be the $80 or so for the kit, plus gaskets and oil.

I am really getting mixed signals or perhaps I am confused something, but based on what you've said it seems to me you bought the wrong car for your expectations/needs.
I'm sorry, I'm not communicating very well. I often make the mistake that what seems well understood by me, should also be understood by the reader, and it makes for poor communication on my part. When I mentioned fuel economy, in relation to VANOS, it wasn't that I magically expected if I fix the VANOS my car would suddenly get 40MPG. More that it would maximize the potential miles per gallon. That's one of the main reasons why I didn't get a V8, 235hp is way more than I need on US roads, why have to cringe when gas goes over $4 a gallon. Anything over 20MPG was fine by me, my commute is only 30 miles a day, both ways. If fuel economy was my #1 concern, I likely would've gone with a Mazda 5 or another normally aspirated 35-40 MPG car, not hybrid. Don't get me started on hybrids! :soapbox:

Why E39 you ask?? Well, as I mentioned in my intro, my best friend had one. He is VERY particular about his cars, and I respect his opinion. If it was good enough for him, perhaps I should consider one. I had the chance to take an '02 335i for a weekend getaway several years ago and I was VERY impressed. My budget dictated that I buy a used car, 10-13k was my number. I have always liked BMW for their racing heritage and focus on performance and quality over flashy trends. Only until recently does the //M badge connote forced induction, which earns respect from me. I'm getting old now, I don't want to hand crank my windows down or be without AC on the two days a year I need it, I want some luxury when I'm driving, and I think I've earned it. I live in a highly affluent community and I see Merc's all day every day, lotsa bimmers as well. I also get a chance to see some amazing cars during the Concours D' Elegance and historic races at Laguna. For some reason the E39 body style kept percolating to the top of my list whenever I thought of cars I'd like to own. It's the rear quarters, when viewed from the rear, just looks great, IMHO. I think cars should not always be form follows function, but should have some passion and emotion in the design, which the E39 always had for me. The E90 is the only other car I would have considered from the Bavarian stable, but the 5 just kept "singing" to me, if you know what I mean. Once I was committed, it became an obsession, I NEEDED an E39. I outlined my initial purchase flow above and was fortunate enough to find my car on the fifth try. As I mentioned, I LOVE driving it and my biggest initial impression was not something I had anticipated; It's so QUIET inside. I was whispering with my daughter as we drove home from purchase, that's not something I could do in a commuter-can.

Sorry to be so long-winded, I hope that by going into more detail here, it will help to understand me a little bit better and enhance my ability to communicate with my fellow forumites.

Cheers,
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.