BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW 325i 2001

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Greekgod1 
#1 ·
Well recently i bought a BMW 325i 2001 for my b day which is today. Sometimes when i drive in the morning's or random parts of the days, this thing in the left head side pops up. And the hot and cold is always in the middle, is this normal? First time owning a bmw and im not sure what it is, If anyone knows it would help a lot. thanks!

All help is appreciated, Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
That is your coolant level sensor, it means youre low on coolant. Did you obtain any maintenance history when you bought your car? These cars are notorious for their weak cooling systems, with many parts that have a tendancy to fail over time. Add some coolant and if the light comes back then you may have a leak or worse...:eeps:

#3 ·
Well the thing is my dad checked it, and that was full, and more bad news, i drove it again and it got almost in the Red hot when i jumped on it and went fast, then i found out more that the heat doesnt work, and the feet heat only works. Not hot at all. But im still confused on how that thing keeps popping up and its full?

#4 ·
It sounds like you have an air bubble in the system. With the car cool and the engine off but the ignition on, you need to set the heat as high as it will go (91 f) and set the blowing speed to about middle. Under the hood, you need to open the coolant bleeding screw and keep it open until you see a steady stream of coolant come out. In the mean time you need to have some 50/50 coolant ready to go to refill the coolant tank as the air comes out of the bleeder. After all this, start the car let it run for about 15 minutes until the car gets warm. Then shut it off, reopen the bleeder and let any remaining air exit, recheck the coolant level and fill it up again.

That should get any air out of the system and fix your problem. Very easy to do and it should only take about 30 minutes. If this doesn't fix it, my next guess would be a coolant sensor, which still isn't a big deal. One thing you might also try is to hook up an OBDII scanner and let it read you coolant temp - depending on how hot your coolant is getting, you might also need a flush.

#6 ·
been there and it's really annoying :tsk:
for the car heating part, u have one of the below symptoms:
1- leak somewhere in the cooling system
2- fan not turning on when it should
3- thermostat went bad
4- water-pump not pumping anymore (unlikely)
have your entire cooling system overhauled as it's most probably due to one.

#5 ·
Happy Birthday GreekGod1.
Lots of engines have been killed with this warning. Get it checked before it's too late.

#8 ·
Thanks for everyone's help, but i found out like a fan blade is broke, so i guess that was the problem? Spending around 400 dollars for some new stuff, and one question, Is the heat only suppose to come out on your feet, or feet and blow onto you? thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.