BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E38 - 750iL tips needed

Tags
750il bmw e38
5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  balance 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

I have recently joined this forum. i have got E38 750IL and there are few issues with it...
1- power steering oil is leaking
2- banjo bolt worn out
3- front shock absorber need to be replaced

I can get the oil leak fixed .... but where i can find sterring banjo bolts and shock absorbers for E38 ?

I live in sydney, australia... any guidance or tips appreciated???

also any useful information regarding the maintainence of this car....

Thanks in advance

Cheers

#2 ·
Hello Hereforu123, welcome.

1 - I am almost certain that the power steering leak is coming from the hoses that come out of the resevoir, it is a common issue with these cars.

2- I'm sorry but I've never heard the term "banjo bolt", could you explain what this bolt connects to? There are alot of internet part suppliers that have many parts for these cars, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding this part.

3 - I get my parts from a local place, so I can't help to steer you in the right direction on where to find this part and I'm not sure what kind of auto part stores you have over there, but the last time I priced out struts on my car, they were $150 each. My suggestion is to first check local parts suppliers, then go on the internet and compare availability, and price.

#3 ·
Hi Hereforu124,

Nice to see someone else with a 750 in Sydney !
I just bought a 2001 750iL Individual and thought I would look on this site for advice.
Just drove from Melbourne to Sydney (11 hours) without a hitch EXCEPT that the alternator went 2km from home.
Got a quote from BMW Sydney - my response was that I didnt want to buy another 750 - just the alternator - they quoted $2000 !!!
I search ebay and found a re-manufactured one in the US - with shipping it cost $550 all up !!

Anyway hope we can exchange info and have a great experience with this beast of a car.

Cheers

#4 ·
Thanks Balance... Banjo bolts connects somewhere i dont knwo :p.... but apparently it connects the steering wheel with the tyres and help the movement... my steering is shaky coz those Banjo Bolts are worn out and need to be replaced... I have been trying to look up for them but no luck so far I might try some wrecker... thanks for the tips anyway :)

@ Sydney750.... G'Day Mate... yeah same here :) mate BMW sydney are the biggest rip off... I got my card fixed at bmw parramatta thinking they would do good job... but they were expensive and to be honest I am not satisfied with the service... all they were trying to encourage me to sell this one and get a something else off them... then i thought stuff em and started looking on the internet and trying to source couple of parts and will get them fixed from someone else...

I have driven mine from sydney to melb and i fell in love with this car :) didn't have to stop for refill and it was a great smooth ride apart from my steering wheel stuff up... where abouts in sydney do you live??? Mine is 98 750IL... we can surely exchange info and help each other... :)

Cheers

#8 ·
Ah, OK, I see what you're talking about now.

This could be the reason why there is a power steering leak. If the washers around that bolt were to go bad, you would lose fluid pressure and the steering wheel would probably be harder to turn. I would think that you could find some copper washers at an auto part store that would fit, because I doubt that the bolt itself is bad, it is probably just the washers that are leaking.

#10 ·
When you said "banjo bolt worn out", you meant that it was leaking from that area, right?

I wouldn't see why couldn't check it yourself. If it is easy to get to (unfortunately power steering bolts usually aren't) then I would suggest taking it out and replacing the washers first, and see if the leak is fixed. I can't see how the bolt itself would be bad unless someone tightened it way too hard or cross-threaded it the last time it was put on the car. As long as the threads are still good and the head is not stripped, changing the washers should fix the leak.

You are sure that it is leaking from this bolt, right? If not, find the leak first by degreasing the areas where the fluid has leaked out and get those areas clean and dry, then fill the power steering resevoir and have someone turn the wheel while the car is running to find the leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.