BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New K75 owner

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Pierce 
#1 ·
Hi all. Just got a '91 K75RT with 13,000 mi. Been sitting in a garage for 3 years. It starts fine. Any advice about initial maintenance I should do besides new fluids and tires? Thanks, I'm psyched to get it going!

#3 ·
I would also change the fuel filter and screen inside the fuel tank. They are probably the originals. Although the tank itself is aluminum (therefore no rust issue), this will also give you a change to clean out and inspect the inside of the fuel tank. When you change fluids, don't forget the brake fluid.

#4 ·
Oil Leak?

Thanks Mike. I had my '91 K75 serviced at the nearest dealer (over an hour away and $1000 later). An oil leak at the "crank case cover" was identified but not repaired. Any idea whether this is something I could tackle myself. I have average home mechanic skills but NO experience with MC or BMW repair. Thanks.

#5 ·
Thanks Mike. I had my '91 K75 serviced at the nearest dealer (over an hour away and $1000 later). An oil leak at the "crank case cover" was identified but not repaired. Any idea whether this is something I could tackle myself. I have average home mechanic skills but NO experience with MC or BMW repair. Thanks.
What did the dealer do for $1,000? I hope a lot. These bikes are relatively easy to work on, especially for periodic maintenance, so you can save yourself a lot of money by learning to do things yourself. You only need a few special tools (e.g., oil filter wrench - buy the "factory" Hazet wrench).

If by "crank case cover" you mean the cover on the right side of the engine that says "BMW" on it, this is a fairly simple repair. There is a "rubber" gasket that seals the cover to engine seam. The only difficulty is the water hose the runs through the front end of the cover. You should be able to just:

1. remove the 8 bolts that hold the cover on
2. pivot the cover off the engine using the water hose for support
3. remove the old gasket
4. inspect and clean the two gasket mounting surfaces
5. fit the new gasket (IIRC, the gasket goes on "dry")
6. refit the cover and tighten the 8 bolts.

Done!

#6 ·
Dealer Work done

The dealer put on 2 new tires, changed engine engine oil, gearbox oil, fork and final drive oil, brake fluid, gearbox and shaft lube, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, safety check, state inspection, replaced rear brake pads and crankcase breather. Sound like a value?

The crank case cover refers to the one in front (not the one with "BMW" on it), which they said is a big job to work on, and has only sealing compound, no gasket. Watching it for now.

Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

#7 ·
Been away for awhile. Looking for advice on K75 preparation for winter storage in un-heated garage in upstate NY. All the fluids are new. Should I fill the gas tank or empty it? I figure fuel stabilizer for sure. Thoughts on the necessity of spraying WD-40 into the spark plug holes and cycling the cylinders? Any other storage prep advice welcome. SJM

#8 ·
Fill the tank all the way full and add stabilizer...Less room for condensation to develope by doing this.. :thumbup:

I never bothered with the cylinders, never had any problems.. :dunno:

Pull the battery.. :)

#9 · (Edited)
1991 k75

I am new to the forum, I am an old motocross guy who has now bought a 91 K75. Unfortunatly the bike was in Sandy ..... The bike looks good and started right up, there is no water in any of the fluids and the water only came up just under halfway to the rim. I was wondering what things I should do prior to riding I am going to change the fluids, but should I remove the swing arm and grease the pinion and are there other areas I should grease, should I replace the wheel bearings everything works and the bike was well maintained and was done pior to the storm. The previous owner had the whole bike redone it cost him $3000.00 new tires and all. Any advise will be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.