BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Thee Build.

9K views 93 replies 17 participants last post by  TRaV MaNN 
#1 ·
This is the official build thread. Now that I have a guaranteed paycheck on the first and the fifteenth with no bills to pay, I can dump mass amounts of money into the only thing I care about. Mon Bmw.

As of right now, the car is in miserable condition. The interior is hideous and I'm pretty sure the only thing that has been changed is the engine (S52 swap), Rad and fan, clutch and 2 bilstein struts in the front. Seriously. The back end is still stock lol.

This weekend, here's the plan:

-Oil Change: Royal purple 0w40 (Found out post-purchase the PO was running 5w30....with a 150 shot :tsk:)

-Trans Fluid Change: GM Synchromesh Friction Modified aka Jesus Juice

-Diff Fluid Change: Royal Purple 75w90

-Spark Plug swap: NGK Iridiums (Yeah yeah yeah, flame on :rolleyes:)

-Fix the stupid pulley squeak: Idler, Adjusting + Belt

Hopefully that gets rid of most of the minor problems I've been having, if not I'll assess and replace :thumbup:

I also ordered one of these (apparently made to order :thumbdwn:) short throw kits: http://www.bavauto.com//assets/product_images/bas/shortshiftkita.jpg

During the following months, this is what shall ensue:

-All bushings replaced

-Control Arms Replaced

-Tie Rods + Boots

-Full Sound System

-Shocks/Struts, Springs & Hardware (Bilstein Sports, H&R Springs)

-Stiffer Front Sway Bar (H&R)

-Brake Overhaul (Rebuild Calipers, Rotors, Pads, SS Lines, ATE fluid etc)

-Black Dash swap, paint door panels black leaving the white inlays w/seats intact. (Probably have to replace some door panels as well..interior is shiiiity :cry:)

-Possible re-spray come summer

After this weeks scare of having to rebuild the bottom end, I plan on just doing it anyways come February. Hone, deck, balance, Rings, Bearings, Bolts, Gaskets. Probably a Valve job in their too.

The trans is on its way out, talked to that place out in Cali, $640 shipped. Done deal. Probably going to source a lot of my interior pieces from them as well.

I will post pics of the car as she sits tomorrow :thumbup:

Thanks for reading, Antic.

See less See more
#65 ·
Polyurethane RTABs are a perfect solution, though. If you get the purple ones from Powerflex, they don't cost that much more. They will give you better performance while adding minimal NVH. Also, they are 100x easier to install than stock and you don't need a special tool. I can't speak for the FCAB polyurethane bushings, because I don't have them yet, but I would assume they are similar.

#68 · (Edited)
It's my understanding that running a stiffer bushing in certain locations doesnt allow for the flex necessary by some suspension components to work properly. Link from vorshlag:
http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_4_26&products_id=468

My dad is heavy into mustangs and they have similar problems with the rear control arm bushings that limit rear axle movement. In that application the best option is to run a metal spherical ball joint type-thing, but theyre extremely loud and harsh. For our cars I've honestly never looked into what vorshlag recommends instead. I assume shims?

Edit: Vorshlags explanation: http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?products_id=421... they articulate better than me lol

#70 ·
Awesome thread. Sorry I didn't read it all before now. Keep up the good work saving (restoring) that beauty!

I'm not sure why so many folks are so aggressive/irritable/abrasive in this thread, though. Oh well, gotta roll with the punches I presume. How did Lejeune fair the storm?

#73 ·
My whole car is poly. That didn't make it harsh, the coil spring setup did.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App
Yeah, I upgraded my bushings before I did my springs and shocks, and by FAR the biggest difference in NVH came from the springs/shocks, not the bushings.

#74 ·
AKG for some powerflex for some.

Sweet! Any coupe carpet in good enough condition to dye will work!

Yeah, I upgraded my bushings before I did my springs and shocks, and by FAR the biggest difference in NVH came from the springs/shocks, not the bushings.
Yes sir

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App

#77 · (Edited)
So..started spending money. Except not really on the important stuff I should have :rolleyes:

Spend a fair chunk of change on a complete sound system from crutchfield. Nice kenwood HU, BA 5 1/4" Component speakers up front, with alpine type-r 6x9's in the rear via Bavsound's adapters all powered by a SO 4 channel amp @ 100x4. On top of that, new wiring everywhere.

Also went ahead and located/purchased 4 new dove/grey door panels. I plan on keeping the dove door cards and seats, but making almost everything else black. We'll see how I feel.

Speaking of which, I know which SEM color coat everyone uses, but should I use their no/low gloss clear coat on top of it? Not sure if it would alter the look or even matter? :dunno:

Anyways, going to finish researching and buy all of the suspension and brake parts tomorrow. Possibly try to locate a ZF 5-speed for cheaper than bav recycling quoted me as well.

As far as the engine rebuild goes, I should be able to get away with putting it off until the very beginning of the new year, sometime in January. I'll be getting a lot of bonuses and extra pay over the holidays so I'll have plenty of cash to not have the urge to skimp out on stuff I shouldn't have :angel:

#81 ·
I know it seems unusual to some to take care of looks first..but I absolutely hate riding around without a radio. Nuff said. That, And I feel like the interior is so bad it takes away from the rest of the car. Anyways..next things are complete suspension overhaul, shocks and brakes. I think I said it before, but engine rebuild and trans swap are going to wait until my field op in January is over with.

On a side note, does anyone want to trade a set of prepped oem housings for bilstein sports?

#82 ·
I understand what you mean about the radio...I don't listen to music that much, but like to get my news, etc that way and commute too much for silence (other than my engine 'purr'.
And, Hey...it is your car...as long as you don't wind up walking you get to choose the order of things to 'play' with!:thumbup:

#83 ·
Well..just aquired a new found respect for dealers. Due to the holiday weekend (And the parts guy being a former Marine), I now get wholesalers discounts on everything, foeva :bigpimp:

Anyways, just finished the last non performance related purchases, and got everything I needed minus floor mats, and some other low cost goodies. So as of now, my interior/exterior money expenditure is done. ish.

-2oz primer, base, and high gloss clear repair kit from microfinish
-brake/clutch delrin bushings from akg & ecs black anodized pedal covers (tired of my foot slipping off :eeps:)
-All trim relating to windows (Rear upper/lower, all 3 pieces for the vent windows, the long upper trim piece for both sides etc.)
-Door handle gasket/trim
-Door hinge repair kits (not really needed...but meh ;))
-Hood/Trunk emblems..for obvious proper representation reasons :D
-Various clips etc
-All new cluster bulbs
-Fuel filter
-Cabin air filter
-Semi-new, properly operating black glove box :angel:
-Semi-new, grey panels w/ dove inserts. About to be black panels with dove inserts
-rear swaybar brackets..because, apparently, the purchaser didn't select the "both brackets included" option when he bought the ****ing car :tsk:
-Various other trim pieces
-A **** ton of SEM prep/paint for the interior
-Too much random audio crap
-Home depot sound proofing :angel:
-...other stuff
-BavAuto Short shift kit

Total cost to date:

-Car: $6000
-Tune-up/cleaning supplies: $1000
-Audio System/accessories: $1250
-Interior/Exterior Resto ****: $2000

Grand total: $10250

Suspension/Brakes will probably put me out $2500, and the Engine Rebuild/trans swap/general drivetrain refresh/resto will probably be $2500-$3000. All in all I should end up around $16,000 deep. Money well spent, well spent indeed. :D

(For mental/sanity reasons I am not including the cost of my supercharger kit coming next spring/summer after I break in the build :rolleyes:)

Anyways, I only work 2 days for the next 2 weeks..so I'll have plenty of time to install of the aforementioned items. Many pics shall ensue.

The next plan of attack is, All bushings (mix of poly and oem), CA's, tie rods etc., koni yellows (still need someone who wants to trade blown oems for working bilstein sports), and a full brake kit.

Hopefully I can find some deals on black friday, should be fun! :thumbup:

#85 · (Edited)
Progress! :D

Ripped off the door panels to find:

No vapor barrier :tsk:

Cleaned both doors up of the black stuff (mostly...)

Starting to de-interiorize the car

No cup holders for the next week :(

And voila, if you don't see it on the car, its becoming blackified :thumbup:

Called it a day, during my trip to home depot tonight I spotted this :bling: grand am lol

Sadly the tweeters that came with my component set-up didn't want to just fit..soooo, this happened.

Other than needing to sand down the rough spots, I think I did pretty well for nothing but a new drill and a dremel bit :angel: Ready for blackification :thumbup: (Or reblackification for one of them lol)

Tomorrow morning, I clean ze auto. Vacuum the filthy carpet/interior/everything and wipe down whats not been taken out. The seats will probably get lexol'ed too.

After that its sound proofing..then partial speaker install, seeing as crutchfield sent me shorter patch cables then I ordered :rolleyes:

Theeen the amp needs to go on the roof of the trunk..should be fun

Wish me luck :eek:

#89 ·
I apologize for the lack of progress and awesomeness being posted in this thread lately I've been hella busy.

As of now my car has no interior :yikes:

So heres something to tie you all over, I painted ze dash :thumbup:

Blank slate:

Sem prep soap/scrub:

Scrub-a-dub dub:

Dry:

Taped with a few coats of vinyl prep:

First coat:

Second:

Third:

Fourth/done:

to all that said it would look like ****, come at me bro

I have done a ton that I need to get pictures of..all sound stuff is installed and awesomely tucked. Bought all of my front end suspension parts etc. etc.

Everything is on hold right now though, I decided to purchase a second car so I can treat this one properly and not worry about whether I'll be done within a day or weekend. My new and soon to be DD is getting all of my holiday love for the time being, so BMW has to take the backseat for a min. As far as what my new dd will be..........................................

Hondarific :angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.