BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

I so wish i could work on my own car by myself

1K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  RoxyBMW 
#1 ·
I would of repair all the minor things that most people can do on their cars.

#5 · (Edited)
What's your point?
We all have our skill sets. Try a auto class at your local college. Takes all sorts to make the world go round don't belittle yourself. Start with the simple stuff - oil changes, light bulb replacements. Join a local enthusiast club - maybe someone will mentor you.
Good luck

Edit- was typing and missed your response. Sorry to hear of your condition.

#7 ·
Yesterday my horn was no longer working! Maybe a fuse?.... Must have my break redone as they have begin making noise. My A/C needs work. Dealer changed my EWS and did not close dash right, of course i did not notice this right away and seems kind of late to go back and complain. And other few things here n there. But i truly love how this car rides, it brings me lots of joy to seat in driver seat and go do my errands. Besides it has lots of sentimental value to me, memories with my mom (RIP)...

#8 ·
@ air cooled; i worked my self out and to exhaustion while taking care of my kids and educating myself that i now suffer chronic pain all over my body and i also have fibromyalgia. I no longer have much strength on my hands
I used to put hands nails and all into maintaining my other vehicles but God made me too fragile and feminine that i never turned into a she-mechanic.

#12 · (Edited)
Well Bimmer Lady, the first thing you must do is decide that you've had enough of a life full of constant pain, especially when others don't seem to suffer so even after taking care of all those kids etc etc. You can only get to this resolution by searching your soul as best as you understand the term. This is not an evidence-based conclusion. You must feel its 'rightness'.

It may take you more than 10 minutes to get to this place but if you stick to it, you eventually will.

The second thing would be to understand that you are not your story. Let me explain.

Imagine that you're a little cell in your fingernail. That cell probably thinks that itself and maybe its nail brothers are the whole world. That is its perspective. Thus, its expectations of itself are nail based. You might even say that it has a nail consciousness.

If that nail cell changed its perspective, it would realise that it is a small but vital part of a very large organism. And, that large organism, is indeed very concerned about that little nail, which means that it is not so little after all !

Now, the entire organism can do things that the little ol nail can't, wouldn't you agree ? That's the key.

You change your perspectives on yourself by experiencing your greater self. You do that in the following way. Firstly, realise that you are not just your story about who you are and how you have suffered. You are not your pain. You are not your life's problems. You are not your doctor's diagnosis. You are not other people's judgements. You are not your own judgements. That you are much more than this.

The next step is to experience this "much moreness" as a real thing rather than a fancy concept. The method to do this is so absurdly simple that few would believe it works before they try it. Simply stop all you're doing, sit down, close your eyes, and watch your thoughts. Don't participate in them, just watch your head thinking away as it usually does. You will soon detect two aspects of yourself. The thoughts, and the thinker behind the thoughts, watching the thoughts. You can do this, even while you are in pain. Christians have called this the silent witness, etc.

When you have this experience, then have more of it. When you have more of it, then have even more of it. And a little more. And just some more.

As you have this experience, you will detach yourself from your story, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually (usually in that order). You will stop feeding your pain and keeping it there. As you move into your greater self, you will move into healing. This will happen automatically and naturally. You will be surprised at how effortless it becomes. You will doubt that it is working. Most people (and their friends) are not used to living like this so doubt is natural. Don't think about it. Just stick to it. Have more and more of your greater self. Don't think it. Don't explain and rationalise it. Just feel it and experience it.

That will be enough.

How does healing happening ? Firstly, your head will begin to clear up. This will help your mind attenuate to conventional human ideas on how to treat your illness quickly and permanently, and how to relieve your pain, and generally live more efficiently. A mind that is constantly worried has impaired judgement for sure. You will also become more receptive to your own spirituality. Secondly, indulging in your greater self opens the door to the creative energies of the greater self. These creative energies are also HEALING energies. Thirdly, by stepping away from your "moan and groan" story, you put an end to chronic unhappiness. Nature abhors a vacuum, so a lack of unhappiness, becomes soon replaced.....by happiness! You will be happier, and for no particular reason. It will just be a state of being. And everyone knows that nothing heals the body as quickly as happiness.

You are a Christian. So, stop speaking faith to failure. You are keeping it there in your life. Follow the steps I've outlined. Your greater self, once you are reacquainted with it, will guide you forward rapidly after that. Follow its guidance through to the light at the end of this tunnel, and you will realise you were in fields of glory all along. The two things that kicked it all of, is an inner decision, and a change in perspective. The struggle ends, and the healing begins, instantly.

You can do this, right now.

And then, when you're healed, you can use the fest to help you fix your car rapidly and have a great time along the way.

#10 ·
Love it :)

With regards to your dash, I would go back to your mechanic.. What have you got to lose, if he says no then your exactly where you are now.. If you chance your arm you'll never break your leg!! The horn fuse you could check yourself and if it's not a fuse then we'll all help you figure it out!! These cars are awesome and if you treat them right they return the favour!!

#11 ·
And your brakes.. Do they stop the car sufficiently?? My brakes squeal a bit when I brake.. But they work perfectly and have plenty of pad so I won't be changing them anytime soon..! Sometimes the pad surface just becomes glazed and that causes the squeal

#16 · (Edited)
Bimmer Lady, you may think that all of that is just 'woo woo', but if you just stop for a minute to think, you will remember at least one person who you've met who lives this way, and you will also recall at least 2 occasions in your past where you have personally done this.

Everyone has done this, but merely forgotten about it with all the stuff that goes on in life.

#18 · (Edited)
It should not take ten years. Ten weeks for the first 50% and ten months for the next 50%. You are doing something wrong.

You are not supposed to fight and 'not give up', until at some point you outlast your issues. You are supposed to give in and be lifted clear of them entirely.

It is not an endurance contest, or a test of wills. It is about surrender without defeat, a transcending, and a triumph of Will.

#19 · (Edited)
Do you realise that you are addicted to your story, that it is running you, that the tail is wagging the dog? Read through your own posts here if you dont believe me.

Dont rationalise this process. And dont tell yourself or anyone else more of your story. You are not your story. Find out who you really are. Experience that. You dont need to believe anything or anyone for this. So you cant be cheated. It is available to you now. Just experience that. And everything else, instead of falling apart, will finally fall into place.

All of us have been through this more than once. It is a natural process that works every time without fail. There is nothing to fear. So please, go to it.

#20 ·
i can do the work,i just wish i had the properly set up (private)garage with every single thing i ever needed,including what i don't know i need(yet) and at least one lift,two would be better(one where the wheels hang and one that you drive on). it's such a PITA every time i need a lift and have to either find some way to get the job done or wait until i can borrow/beg for a lift.

sorry to hear about your pain.

#23 ·
A nice industrial unit with a condo inside - works for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.