BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Let's Play Guess the Damage!

10K views 95 replies 38 participants last post by  chintonmd 
#1 ·
I was in the right lane, preparing to make a right turn at a stoplight. Not in motion.

The lady next to me, in the go-forward lane, did not see me and decided she wanted to turn right from the center lane. When she moved forward, she cut into me and tore the front end of my car off.

In addition to what you can plainly see here, both headlights are destroyed, the left front quarter panel is destroyed, and both the hood and right front quarter panel have damage. The wiper fluid reservoir is destroyed, and that wheel looks like it was contacted. Who knows what else.

The other driver was cited on the spot, and her insurance company is standing up so far. No issues there.

I'll hear from the adjuster on Friday. Any guesses as to the damage?

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Honestly, I have mixed feelings. The car is a 2005, probably worth $15K. So anything above $12K might total it. But before this accident it was in near perfect shape, I still love driving it, and I was looking forward to another year or two of car payment free living.

I'm not in the financial mood to drop $60K+ on an F10 right now, so I will probably wind up leasing an F30 if it goes down. I've never driven either, so I'm not super excited. Could get there, though.

#48 ·
Honestly, I have mixed feelings. The car is a 2005, probably worth $l So anything above $12K might total it. But before this accident it was in near perfect shape, I still love driving it, and I was looking forward to another year or two of car payment free living.

I'm not in the financial mood to drop $60K+ on an F10 right now, so I will probably wind up leasing an F30 if it goes down. I've never driven either, so I'm not super excited. Could get there, though.
Mr Greer,
if you remember, I had the same car and then leased my e90. its a great car to drive but it lackss presence and space. have you considered a 2010 550?

#7 · (Edited)
If you take it to reputable body-shop that works on German imports, the insurance will total the car once the actual damage assesment comes in. E60 has extensive aluminum parts in the front, replacing hood, fender, HID lamps and potential suspension will reach BV of the car easy.

BTW, sorry to hear, it's a nice car and I also got into an accident so I know it sucks.

#39 ·
... E60 has extensive aluminum parts in the front, replacing hood, fender, HID lamps and potential suspension will reach BV of the car easy.
You must mean salvage value. That is what they give you when car is totaled. I wish I had gotten book value on my e39 when it was totaled.

Good luck dealing with the Insurance. They are going to give you salvage plus your expenses, like rental car for a couple of weeks.

#8 ·
I'm going with totalled. Rather than going with a new F10 or F30, consider going for a lightly used E60.....they are dirt cheap right now, I'm seeing nice 2010 550s going for under 40K!:yikes: 2008's like mine are in the high 20's to low 30's, even with low miles.

Keith

#11 ·
Looks like I could get into a 2010 6 series for under $40 as well. Something to think about.

#10 ·
Hey, nasty accident but you're safe, which is the most important thing. Accidents happen.

That looks like somewhere in the region of $8K to $10K would be my guess. New headlamp, new bumper alone would already be in the $4,000 range. They may try to use a "recycled" bumper. The aluminum fender (I think it's aluminum) would cost probably another $1000, maybe more since it's aluminum.

Kidney grills, fog lamps, will try to be taken off your old car and re-used. Don't know if the parktronic sensors and fog lamp cords were ripped off in the accident, but the wiring may need to be replaced.

I would be surprised if it were totaled, the car is worth in the $15,000 range (assuming regular options and mileage) so it shouldn't be totaled from this accident. But I'm not an expert so I can't say for certain.

#12 ·
I don't think it will be totaled

#14 ·
Interesting; opinions are divided. I agree, it's hard to say. The hood and the right body panel may be the main variables.

#17 · (Edited)
What is leaking under the car? Looking at I say 5-6 grand max. So if it's so you just bunch money, because your car about worth 3-4 thousand less, then before this accident.

Look at bright side it's easy to replace with black grill :) sorry.
That might only be wiper fluid - the reservoir cracked in half and the line had been torn off. Could be something else too, but I couldn't tell.

Ironically, the kidneys look OK. I bet they will use those in the repair.

I think $5 - $6K is low; I can see nearly that much in parts alone on realoem, especially if the hood needs replaced. Labor, paint, etc. on top of that. I think ten grand is the over-under.

#20 ·
Cars in Colorado take a beating on the front end as they age around here. The upside of having it fixed, assuming all the damage is cosmetic, would be that it is in fantastic mechanical shape, would get a completely new front end. So in that sense I can't lose.

#21 ·
I bought a 2010 535 M-sport in March for 38k and it only had 20k miles on it and was a CPO. i am actually dring an F-10 535 M-Sport Bmw loaner car while my car is getting the Dinan Exahust installed on it. I can say the F-10 is AMAZING. i will be buying an F-10 or an X5 in a year or so and sell mine.

#22 ·
No idea about US repair costs, but the damage looks cosmetic - didn't even hook the impact bar. Just a bunch of 'bo-ton' parts and a lick of paint. Any hit to the wheel was probably less than your average pothole as far as damage - might have scraped the lip.

Lipstick and mascara - not a write-off. You'll get a nice fresh nose out of the deal.

#23 · (Edited)
I tend to agree, except that the hood looked bent along the edge. The sheet metal alone is $2K on realoem.com, so that will send the price up.

The wheel had some interesting damage - I wish I had taken a picture. Either something had rubbed against it hard enough to leave behind, or it rubbed off some of the finish. I suspect that wheel will need to be refinished at minimum, maybe an alignment.

I moved the car ten yards to get it out of the street, and in that distance it didn't feel any different than it ever does.

In the end, it's all about the adjuster. I'll be fine either way.

The strangest thing about the experience was that the lady who hit me - very nice lady in the end - scraped at least half of her Honda Pilot along the front end of my car and didn't stop until she was in front of me. Seems like a lot of people would have felt the impact or the scrape and stopped immediately.

#25 ·
Will - hope you can repair and keep her for a while. I got a Route 66 warranty for my (Dinan S2) E61 and am keeping her through 2015 ( I hope...!)

#27 ·
The only number left is $6999 + tax. It looks easy to fix, with no mechanical work unless the front suspension needs replacing. My body shop tore my car down to what your car looks like just to start the repairs.
GL

#28 ·
Damn, thats messed up man. Women drivers SMH, the important thing is that you are ok and no one else got hurt thank god. As fra as the damage I would say 5-7k.

#29 ·
I wanted to iterate my original estimate of $8K to $10K did not account for hood replacement. The hood can likely be repaired, it is an aluminum hood so it would be extremely costly to replace. Do make sure that the lady's insurance company does not try to make you take a steel hood (made for BMWs, but not by BMW) and that you get an aluminum hood if your car came with an aluminum hood. I'm surprised the hood only costs $2K, I was thinking it would cost around $4k painted and installed. This would make a difference.

Also, you may want to have your insurance company handle the repairs.

In CA, you can choose which body shop you want to use (within reason), I presume you can as well in CO. Naturally, choose a reputable body shop.

I highly doubt you'll have any problems with suspension. Also highly doubt you'll have any frame damage, but we'll see. Once again, not claiming to be an expert.

Wishing you all the best!

#31 ·
Also, you may want to have your insurance company handle the repairs.
Patrick, say more about this please; I'm not sure what you mean. At this point, the other driver was at fault, so the claim is with her insurance company. Mine is not involved. Short of trying to make a collision claim against my own insurance policy, how would I have my insurance company handle the repairs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.