BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

z4 - does your soft top come in contact/rub against the roll hoops?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  QuoteWarz Insurance 
#1 ·
when you press the roof up and roof down button to move the roof ...
does your roof liner come in contact with the roll hoops when its moving and folding/unfolding?

mine does and i dont think its natural...

any experiences/comments?

#2 ·
does your roof liner come in contact with the roll hoops when its moving and folding/unfolding?
Mine does. Just always assumed it was crappy engineering...

#4 ·
So does mine, but it is simply not a problem. The space tolerances are tight, and if you want a top that fits as nice as these do when secured, and with hoops as high as one dares, then the inevitable folds result. Thats a lot of fabric to fold, and mine shows no sign of wear etc. I even have the Rdt.Solutions windblocker and all clears that fine...my counsel would be not to worry about it much.

#5 ·
Mine do too, talked to the dealer, they checked a couple on the lot, they touched too. Talked to BMWUSA - they would not commit, but said they would record my concern. Hard to think this is the design intent in that there is the nylon fabric against a pointed surface with no reinforcement, no wear pads. There is relative motion between the roll bar and the liner fabric so there has to be some type of wear. Will continue to monitor and raise the issue to BMWUSA if a problem surfaces.

'08 Z4 3.0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.