BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bike Racks Again!

13K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  HBWT 
#1 ·
So after figuring out that I can't actually get the EU BMW bike rack that screws into the bumper and that I don't want to transport bikes on the roof I'm trying to figure out my best options. Sure I could get a hitch installed but my X1 is leased and I'm pretty sure such modifications would be in violation of my lease agreement.

So I've been looking at various rear mounted bike rack options and I'm curious how other X1 owners have been transporting bikes around? Here are the ones that I've been looking at all claim to work with the X1 but so far using the ole' google I can't seem to find any pics with anyone actually using a rear mounted bike rack on an X1

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Bike-Carriers/RearDoor/9003-Raceway-Platform-2-Bike

http://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/...ypage_images.tpl&product_id=224&category_id=7

http://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/...lypage_images.tpl&product_id=19&category_id=7

These all seem to be stable and generally have good reviews but I'm concerned obviously potentially damaging the finish of the X1 or worse yet denting or pushing in various contact points because of weight of the rack + bikes.

Any thoughts very welcomed!

Robbie

See less See more
#2 ·
In my opinion, the roof rack is the only elegant option available for the x1 at this time. Any other options will require vehicle modification or have the potential to cause marking on the vehicle. Even if you say you will be careful, eventually something will happen on one of those styles of bike racks.

#3 ·
I would agree with from an aesthetic level however I've been burned many times over the years with roof mounted options -

1. I have had hydraulic brake lines from disc brakes leak on the roof - ruining paint.

2. My wife isn't all that tall and has had issues getting the bikes on/off the roof

3. I have had all manner of aero bars, fork mount, etc and the all suck for aerodynamics and gas milage.

I guess I'm just feeling burned as I didn't look hard enough when buying - dealer told me the bumper mount was the same as the EU models and clearly its not

#9 ·
- dealer told me the bumper mount was the same as the EU models and clearly its not
Then I would meet with the dealership principal and let him know that your ability to mount a bumper or hitch rack of some kind without getting any nonsense at the time of lease return is the LEAST they can do.

Salesmen have to be accountable for things they say to close a deal!

#6 ·
I think you're allowed to install the OEM hitch as long as you remove it before returning the vehicle back. Check the fine print of your lease agreement.

And yes, you should have more carefully considered transport options (or the lack thereof) on the X1 before you bought it.

#7 ·
BMWNA says no - 3 hours on hold today - hitch installation involves modification of the rear bumper assembly.

I agree should have been a little more detail oriented - however ripping off plastic paneling on a bumper in the middle of a show room to inspect screw ports wasn't on the tip of my brain :)

#8 ·
Hitch...???

What Hitch? Didn't know one was available for the X1. Please advise.

#10 · (Edited)
Your best option to retain the lease...replace the rear bumper shock absorber bar with the euro spec version with two tow hook holes and use the euro bumper bike hitch you want. Plus your bumper cover already has both cutouts. Here is the part number:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=VM11&mospid=53261&btnr=51_7467&hg=51&fg=17

It's an easy swap, you'll just have to find someone (maybe ecs) that can source euro parts.

BMW will never know the difference when you return the car.

Also, I did point this out as a potential issue before your purchase ....it's bummer you were not able to pop the two plugs to verify.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643191

#11 ·
Hitch

Check out execuhitch.com I have ordered a x1 (currently on the Turandot making its way here!) and plan to have the hitch installed to carry bikes as well as tow a very small, light camper. I bought the car so I'm not worried about lease issues, but I believe that the bumper is not modified.

#12 · (Edited)
Check out execuhitch.com I have ordered a x1 (currently on the Turandot making its way here!) and plan to have the hitch installed to carry bikes as well as tow a very small, light camper. I bought the car so I'm not worried about lease issues, but I believe that the bumper is not modified.
Original Post
I can post the installation instructions up if you'd like. You have to dremel out approximately 40% of the under fascia [See Edit Below for Clarification]. It also replaces the aluminum crush bumper with a steel post. If you are ever hit from the back with it you'll probably end up with frame damage.

Edit
I received a call from ExecuHitch today. The caller, an employee at ExecuHitch, stated he was calling to clear up any misconceptions any of us might have had about the ExecuHitch for the X1. He went on to explain that someone posted misinformation on a message board and that they are in the process of having mods remove the misinformation. He explained that the under fascia trimming is actually minimal and that their instructions might be misleading. He promised that there would be a revision of these instructions to try to clear up any issues. The under fascia apparently has most of the trimmed area already missing from the factory. He also touched on the aluminum crush bumper vs the steel post replacing it. He stressed that ExecuHitch was designed very carefully and used the stock mounting points of the original bumper. He explained that these same points are what the factory uses to hold the chassis up during assembly and that there should be no issue during a crash.

In my defense, I do not have my car yet (I pick it up in Munich via Euro Delivery on the 28th!) so I had no way of knowing how much trimming to expect other than what I saw in ExecuHitch's instructions. I have to admit that I am still worried about replacing an aluminum crash bumper (meant to crush and absorb impact) with a steel post, but I wanted to give ExecuHitch a fair chance and not sound as though I am just bashing them, so I made this edit. I hope this clears up any misconceptions that might be caused through my initial post.

#16 ·
I've been using the Saris Gran Fondo for about six months on my wife's Cadillac SRX and have been pretty happy. The extra weight of the rack can cause the automatic lift-gate to get confused. If I guide it, it lifts no problem, but if I use the remote it works about 60% of the time. I am getting the X1 and because I work in a bike shop, carrying bikes is a daily occurrence for me. I will probably look into a hitch in the spring... But it is nice to know that the Gran-Fondo works too.

#21 ·
And just in case I forgot to mention it before, the OEM bumper is STEEL. Or at least that's what my magnet says. If it's some sort of allow then it's laden with FE. Definitely NOT aluminum.

#22 ·
attaching a bike rack

Hi folks. I don't generally post here and certainly do not want to spam the board, but was directed to this thread by a customer. Hopefully, I can add some value to the discussion about attaching a bike rack to the X1. Full disclosure: my company recently purchased the North American rights to the Execuhitch product line, and we are rebranding the product as the invisihitch.

In other parts of the world, our invisihitch is the BMW X1 factory hitch, so we know a bit about the design of a hitch for this vehicle, as well about the various options for attaching a bike rack.

To add clarity to a few points raised in this thread:

Why no factory hitch or bike rack for the X1?
Unfortunately, BMW North America made a strategic decision to bring the X1 to market here in the U.S. and Canada without a factory hitch option. This is unlikely to change anytime soon. So in North America we provide the invisihitch as an "aftermarket" hitch for the X1. Again, it is the exact same hitch that we provide to BMW for use as their X1 factory hitch in other parts of the world.

It is also unfortunate that the X1 in North America has only one tow eye on the factory metal bumper core. So attaching the BMW bike rack via the tow eyes is not a viable option on the X1. If you want to put a bike rack on the back of the X1, you will need to install a hitch. (This assumes that no one really wants to strap a clamp-on rack to this vehicle).

The X1 bumper and hitches:
The metal bumper core on the X1 is a fairly stout piece of steel. It's primary purpose is to transfer impact forces to the crumple zones of the vehicle in the event of a rear-end collision, the idea being to sacrifice the vehicle's body panels to absorb crash forces before those forces can reach any precious human cargo. For this reason, the only BMW-approved method of attaching a hitch to the vehicle is to replace the factory steel bumper core with a steel hitch beam that attaches to the vehicle in precisely the same way and at precisely the same points as the original bumper core. Any other method of attaching a hitch, such as bolting to the sides of the frame rails or using an A-frame support point, compromises passenger safety and is not approved by BMW.

Providing access to a hitch receiver on the X1:
There seems to be some confusion regarding any required modifications to the X1 to install a hitch. All hitches require access to the opening on the receiver in order to allow for insertion of a ball mount or a bike rack. Typically, either the bumper has to be cut or the plastic gravel guard underneath the vehicle has to be cut. In the latter case, the receiver is typically designed to drop down through an opening in the gravel guard and then stick out horizontally under the bumper The invisihitch receiver takes this approach, and then adds even more stealthiness by making the part that sticks out removable. So, when not in use, there is no visible evidence that the vehicle even has a hitch installed. And in the event of a rear-end collision, there is nothing protruding to interfere with the bumper's intended purpose of transferring the crash forces to the crumple zones.

To accomplish this, there must be an access opening in the gravel guard underneath the vehicle. Fortunately, BMW designed the X1 with a factory access opening in the gravel guard. To ease the process of inserting and removing our removable bike-rack connector, we recommend increasing the size of the factory gravel-guard opening slightly... by approximately 1 inch by 4 inches. Personally, I would be very surprised if anyone noticed a very slight increase in the size of the existing gravel-guard opening located entirely underneath the vehicle. But we are looking at ways to eliminate the need to perform any trimming of the gravel guard whatsoever, no matter how small.

I am attaching some photos of the X1 with the invisihitch receiver installed so you can see for yourself what this option for attaching a bike rack looks like. As far as I know, there is currently no better way to connect a bike rack to the back of the X1 in North America. I will, however, admit to being biased. :)

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
678.400.0121 office
404.593.9887 mobile

Attachments

#25 ·
It appears so...
"In other parts of the world, our invisihitch is the BMW X1 factory hitch, so we know a bit about the design of a hitch for this vehicle..."

#26 ·
Yes, that is a true statement. We are the BMW factory hitch elsewhere. But in North America, BMW is not going to tow prep the X1. Not with our hitch nor with any other hitch. This is not due to any differences in the vehicle between North America versus other parts of the world, and it certainly wasn't a problem with our hitch since BMW continues to offer our hitch on the X1 outside of North America. It was strictly a decision about how to position the X1 in the North American market among other BMW product offerings here (ahem, X3!).

So in North America, our invisihitch is an "aftermarket" hitch solution for the X1. It's the exact same hitch; just not offered as a factory option here.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
678.400.0121 office
404.593.9887 mobile

#28 ·
My hitch has been perfect...

Flawless install
I've towed, carried a bike rack with 4 bikes, and carried a very large basket filled with 300 lbs of travel gear. The hitch is ROBUST to say the very least.

Also, I went to order a hitch attachment from the manufacturer and the new attachments would not fit the carrier that originally came with my hitch. They were nice enough to send me a new carrier and all new attachments that I'd already purchased for FREE. That's is outstanding customer service.
These guys are the best without a doubt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.