BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dinan Sale

18K views 96 replies 27 participants last post by  Sam-F10 
#1 ·
Oh yeah! The annual sale starts October 1 and goes through the end of the month. Whoo hoo!

#49 ·
This is probably the FIRST Dinan Exhaust video I have seen on the F10. But I really wish it was pushed so I could hear more ( looks like throttle was feathered during this video )...

I am very close to making a decision on Dinan exhaust, but after hearing the Eisenhaun (ignore my spelling) sport exhaust having second thoughts.

Dinan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHf0d8_Ihg0&feature=share&list=ULxHf0d8_Ihg0[/QUOTE]

#50 ·
This is probably the FIRST Dinan Exhaust video I have seen on the F10. But I really wish it was pushed so I could hear more ( looks like throttle was feathered during this video )...

I am very close to making a decision on Dinan exhaust, but after hearing the Eisenhaun (ignore my spelling) sport exhaust having second thoughts.

Dinan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHf0d8_Ihg0&feature=share&list=ULxHf0d8_Ihg0
This video does not do it justice what so ever. You can see that the exhaust flap on the inside pipe is not even opening up.

The exhaust is deep yet not too loud under light load, yet when you get on it and/or go over 3k rpm, the flaps open up and you get a very mean rumble.

The Dinan the more mature sounding of all the systems out there, IMO.

#53 ·
DINAN vs Extended Warranty

I may be going a bit off-track here and into the future.

I plan to keep my 550 for a long time ( love the car ) and hence may consider extended warranty. But I am very much tempted to get the Dinan installed. My CA suggested to get extended warranty first prior to adding Dinan as BMW may later reject extended warranty if they know Dinan was applied.He did say that the only way BMW would come to know is through any warranty work where through the logs it may indicate Dinan was applied.

I know this is far fetched and dont meant to discourage those on the way to get Dinan, but wanted to see if you guys were thinking of extended warranty.

The extended warranty in itself is quite expensive. This being my first BMW I am going in blind on what kind of things could fail in the car post 50k miles. I am thinking even I get extended warranty dont know if anything big will really break prior to 100k miles. So maybe not worth getting the extended warranty.

Any thoughts folks?

#54 ·
Dinan exhaust may very well be outstanding, I just haven't heard it. I'd love to see a video of the exhaust, especially with gradual acceleration to 6-7k rpm, feathering light and aggressive, highway drive by, and cruising speed. I really like the Eisenmann sport sound though. I saw a video on YouTube where a 550 owner modded his stock exhaust, when I find it Ill post it.

Btw, got Dinan stage 2 today. It's pretty nice, I haven't really pushed it yet, but acceleration is very effortless, the power distribution through the rpms is more evenly distributed. However, the speed easily goes unappreciated given the cabin silence.
Suspension and exhaust are definitely on my list of future mods.

#60 ·
Dinan exhaust may very well be outstanding, I just haven't heard it. I'd love to see a video of the exhaust, especially with gradual acceleration to 6-7k rpm, feathering light and aggressive, highway drive by, and cruising speed. I really like the Eisenmann sport sound though. I saw a video on YouTube where a 550 owner modded his stock exhaust, when I find it Ill post it.

Btw, got Dinan stage 2 today. It's pretty nice, I haven't really pushed it yet, but acceleration is very effortless, the power distribution through the rpms is more evenly distributed. However, the speed easily goes unappreciated given the cabin silence.
Suspension and exhaust are definitely on my list of future mods.
Congratulations. If you get the Dinan stage 2 you have to get the suspension as well. Stock suspension is way too floaty

#55 ·
Sam, try to drive a Dinan stage 2 to see if its worth it for you. You could always mod other aspects of the car to improve performance, without grossly voiding your warranty.

#56 ·
Thanks, from what I am hearing there is so much postive feedback. I am all for it. I will probably sleep on it for a few days and pull the trigger.

#57 ·
#61 ·
#64 ·
Thanks sdg.
I also wanted to update my previous statement regarding the Stage 2 as a numb experience. I guess after a day, everything settled into place. The ride experience is outstanding (not numb)! ...to think so much could be done with engine programming. I let my father drive it and now he wants stage 2 for his 2011 550. Suspension will have to wait for the Spring. 1) I have a bad feeling about NYC winter this year, and 2) wedding expenses (that don't seem to end). Thanks again.
My jury is still out on which exhaust to acquire, but that won't be until the summer.

#65 ·
I am definitely going to get the Dinan Exhaust but I can not decide between Black or Polished tips. Anyone who has the exhaust, would you mind posting some pics so I can get some help deciding!?

I already have Stage 3. Stage 2 was acting weird, cutting out power at mid to high RPM usually in 3rd and 4th. Take off the Dinan and the issue went away, reprogram Stage 2 and it comes back. Dinan could not seem to figure it out, so we decided to program it with Stage 3 as a test and the issue went away.

#67 ·
Dunderhi \ P-Town550i \ Others,

Have a few questions on the Dinan Exhaust & Stage3 ( reference to F10 550 ). Please provide your inputs as I hope to make a decision on the purchase in the next few days before the sale runs out ( which I hope is end of October)

1. Does it drone when running the car in Normal/Comfort, probably a little is fine but dont want to lose that quiet cruising I have today.

2. Does Dinan Stage3 adversly impact Fuel mileage? Actually I read one of the posts that may suggest it improves it actually. Dunderhi, I see that you still get 21mpg avg after Dinan S3 ( while my stock average is less than that ). I get it that it depends on how you drive. But just wanted your thoughts.

#70 ·
No drone whatsoever, but I dont have DDC/Adaptive drive. I opted for the M Sport Suspension on my 2013.

Fuel mileage has gone down about a mile or two per gallon, but that is only because I get on the car so much more now around town in 2nd gear....I just can't resist that 580 lb/ft of twist.

Get the exhaust, you wont be sorry. And yes, get the black tips.

#72 ·
1. I had a small amount of drone between 1500-2000 rpm after it was first installed, but it went away with time.

2. I stopped logging every tank with Fuelly, but I haven't reset my trip computer for the past 4kmi and it is showing 21.1 mpgs. So,I haven't seen a change with stage 3 other than the exhaust note.

#90 · (Edited)
1. I had a small amount of drone between 1500-2000 rpm after it was first installed, but it went away with time.
Got my Dinan Exhaust and Stage3 installed. Just love the car, but as mentioned here think it may take a few days for the Stage 3 to set in ( i already see some power increase ).

On the exhaust, my first impression was WOW, it sounds great and it completes the package with all that power. I will make some videos and post it soon. Just one thing I am not still settled on. I hear drone between 1500-2000 rpm, this gets worse as it gets closer to 2000 rpm and then dissappears.

Should I give it a few days or go back to the dealer to see if they can tweak it ...? Any advise guys?

#76 ·
My ordered car is getting the Stage II done today and should be shipped to me by next wednesday. I am getting more excited by the day reading about the flash and its performance. Have any time slip comparisons been done between sport and non Sport automatics? (I saw Dunderhi's slips, pretty impressive.)

#78 ·
Congrats and thanks for the props.

Thanks Dunderhi, so do you know if they were able to mount his exhaust more inward? Thanks for that article you posted. It gives me a fair idea on what to expect on the exhaust sound, cool:thumbup:
Hey, I'm here to help. :thumbup: On the otherhand... if it is a Car A vs Car B thread where people are spouting nonsense, then I have a different role - :throw:

Anyway, I'm not sure if WD had them moved inward, but he's moved to the left coast and moved onto an M5, so only he knows at this point.

#80 ·
Friends,

Have few questions on dinan stage2

1. My dealer said stage2 is all we can do for a 535i considering that the 535i engine being tested throughly with the stock without any extra mod, If so that's the max. power you can get out of the 535i.... I meAn at least from dinan? Will there be another release that can come for our stage 2 users to upgrade?

2. My dealer also said, in case you have any issues after installing dinan, the warranty will never know you have anything added to your stock... So he said we can work that out... What does he mean?

3. I was more interested in Cobb but I have just 30+k miles on the car and wanted a peace of mind, I am sure Cobb with a stage1 is the same as dinan stage 2....

4. What other add' on I can add from the software/free flow exhaust?

Thank you all

#89 ·
What's wrong is that they don't sell anything for the 535......

#87 ·
I had stage 2 plus the suspension done, and I am very happy with the results. I'm glad I did the suspension as it makes a huge difference. While I would have been content with the factory power, the Dinan suspension is exactly what my vision of a car with the M sport package should have felt like. So far, it feels great.

#88 ·
How does Dinan exhaust sound compared to the M5?

I have driven a Jag XJL Supersport and love the growl when starting the engine and the rumble when accelerating hard, it's the sound I would like to hear my 550 make.

Comments please!

Regards,

Don M

#92 ·
Any insiders have info on the progress of the CAI?

#94 ·
I am 4000 miles in with the Dinan exhaust and the droning has decreased slightly but still noticeable. I am also interested in how long it took before it goes away.

#95 ·
I can't figure out why additional mileage would fix droning. Isn't it simply and issue of component resonance?

#96 ·
The day after I got the exhaust I went on a 2000 mile highway trip and after I got home I hit the dragstrip a couple of weeks later. I'm not sure when I realized that the cabin didn't suffer from drone anymore - it was probably when someone here at the Fest asked me about the drone and I was like yeah, it doesn't do that anymore. The exhaust does have a pronounced note at lower rpms, but it's now outside the cabin where it should be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.