BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW is recalling 2002-2005 325i, 325xi, 330i and 330xi - 241,000 cars effected!

115K views 182 replies 77 participants last post by  GoForthFast 
#1 ·
BMW recall for E46 tail lights

Effected vehicles
325I - 2002-2005
325XI - 2002-2005
330I - 2002-2005
330XI - 2002-2005

Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: AUG 25, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V438000
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:TURN SIGNAL
Potential Number of Units Affected: 241,000

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2002-2005 325I, 325XI, 330I, AND 330XI VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 1, 2001, THROUGH MARCH 1, 2005. OVER TIME, RESISTANCE IN THE ELECTRICAL CONTACTS MAY CAUSE ONE OR MORE REAR LAMP FUNCTIONS (TAIL LIGHT, BRAKE LIGHT, AND/OR TURN-SIGNAL), WITHIN THE VEHICLE'S BODY PANEL, TO STOP WORKING.

Consequence:
INTERMITTENT LIGHT OPERATION REDUCES THE ABILITY TO WARN OTHER MOTORISTS OF THE DRIVER'S INTENTIONS. THIS COULD CAUSE A VEHICLE CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

Remedy:
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND SERVICES AT 1-800-525-7417.

NHTSA Details - http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recall...&summary=true&prod_id=936770&PrintVersion=YES

See less See more
#41 ·
At least the dealer might give you a free car wash with all the new recall parts. That's worth 30 minutes and $10 bucks around here. :D

#43 ·
anyone get theirs done and know what the fix entails? I'm bringing in my car tomorrow even though I didn't get a notice letter yet. I'm going to assume that the dealer will have some common sense and see my fried connector as an indication that my car has this problem.

#50 ·
I'm no electrical engineer but from what I have read on this topic, the resistance in the plate is caused by the use of an inadequate ground wire which is incapable of carrying the current present in that circuit. Over time, this causes resistence to build at the connection point. By running a parallel ground the current from the ground to the plate is handled correctly eliminating the resistence problem.

I used the DIY on this forum when I had the intermittent warning light and it has successfully eliminated the issue (3 months now).

I'm not sure what BMW does to address this. They may do the same thing or, they may just replace the plate. IF the latter, the problem will eventually resurface.

#51 ·
^well, hopefully, I'll find out soon if and when my letter comes. replacing the adapter plug solved my problem of intermittent warning light (which was caused by the frying of the plug, which led to loose connection), but obviously doesn't solve the overall resistance problem.

#52 ·
I called on this and they ran my VIN and whaddya know, no recall or open campaigns on my car. Can't say I'm surprised... there goes my free car wash I guess...

I pulled my plug and it looks just like the photo in above posts. I guess I'll be doing this myself.

#54 ·
I called on this and they ran my VIN and whaddya know, no recall or open campaigns on my car. Can't say I'm surprised... there goes my free car wash I guess...

I pulled my plug and it looks just like the photo in above posts. I guess I'll be doing this myself.
Odd...I went in for an alignment a couple weeks ago and they told me there was a recall on my car for this.

Maybe BMW Canada is ahead of BMWNA? I thought they were basically the same thing.

#53 ·
BMW NA was supposed to submit a final version of their owner notification letter to NHTSA in October. It hasn't appeared in NHTSA's web site yet, and I presume no letters have gone out. They may be backed-up with a recent 5-series recall issue.

#61 ·
Bump.
Has anyone received a recall letter yet? BMW NA indicated to NHTSA that letters would go out to owners in October. There has been no update to NHTSA's recall web site for this issue recently. I find this delay to be very unusual.

#68 · (Edited)
I called NHTSA today (888 number) and actually got through to a supervisor. My comment was, what's the delay? Why did NHTSA's ODI vigorously pursue this for several years, and now there's no action...owner notification letters were supposed to go out in October...
NHTSA's response was that they can't comment on private communications between them and the manufacturer, but hinted that the scope of this recall may require the manufacturer to ramp up for necessary replacement parts, consequently the delay. They only suggested to contact BMW NA regarding the ETA of the notification letters. I complained to NHTSA that an updated status should be posted on their recall web site for this recall.
Has anyone done this; called BMW NA? What was BMW NA's response? Edit: I see the info in post #63..."letters soon."

#70 ·
Finally, something. Can you post the letter?

#73 ·
Great post, THANKS! This serves the E46 community that is subject to this recall!
A matter of time now.

#74 ·
What a joke.

They don't have the parts to run a second ground wire?!!!

1 hour labour?!!

cost me $4 and took maybe 20 minutes.

#75 ·
What a joke.

They don't have the parts to run a second ground wire?!!!

1 hour labour?!!

cost me $4 and took maybe 20 minutes.
It is more than one wire to do it correct way. Housing has to be replaced and all connectors. New pins with wire tails...etc. There is $200 in parts on my invoice and another $200 in labor.
Yea, it is joke but that is how it is done at dealer.
If you figure it can be thousands of cars you get picture how many parts they need.

#82 ·
Replacing the ground wire is the pre-emptive fix if you are not yet experiencing problems with the tail light cluster. If the connector is burned out and the plastic housing is melted, then you also have to replace the housing, as well as any affected wires/connectors. Most likely the connector housing is the part in short supply.

Hmm, I think I might have bought an extra connector housing for the left side when I fixed the right side (spastic turn signal), along with some wires and connectors. Maybe I should sell them back to BMW for $200? :rofl:

I'd have to look up the prices, but I recall the connector being in the $10-$15 range.

#84 ·
And this was only the left side? I'll have to go back to the recall details to see if they'll replace both sides. I would think so; doesn't seem to be a one-side-only problem.

#87 ·
Just got my recall notice today here in NJ. Funny enough the recall notice says that they don't have enough parts for the recall and it will occur later in December. The Xi needs the whole driver-side assembly re-pinned it's melted like a mofo.

#98 ·
Its a little late to finally acknoledge they have a problem. I used all the great information from the forum posts to the do the simple fix. What they should do is just send evryone a check to compensate for the agravation it caused us all. I went a year trying to figure it out before I found the answers in the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.